CSET-ART

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by nasimi77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, rescudero!

Since you're already teaching, you may very well find that you already have a number of helpful resources... and you may find that sharing what you know about how to teach art will help others while helping you.

This would be a grand place for you to do that, too (hint, hint).

2. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

Mar 28, 2009

study group

Hi! I'd love to join a study group. I have already written and passed part 1 with a score of 4 stars in every category.... but I am struggling with part 2's section where I need to write a constructed response that compares dance or drama with art... any help I can get with this would be most appreciated!!!!

p.s. I have since located to L.A. from Toronto, Canada and am teaching in the LAUSD

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 28, 2009

As for the Subtest II exercise, try running it backwards... go to the Visual & Performing Arts content standards, which you'll find at http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/index.asp. In the dance standards, look through the list of elements of dance - you want to identify three or four different ones that also show up among the art elements that you know - the names don't have to be the same as long as there's a connection in terms of the sense. Then see which of those you can make a case for, beginning with the photo in this exercise and then perhaps going on to a small assortment of artworks involving dance.

4. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Apr 13, 2009

What's the likelihood of the unofficial test scores being wrong? I received my unofficial test score for Subtest II today and it says "Pass." I'm really happy!!! Too bad nobody saw me raise my hands at work.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2009

Congratulations, TheWhite! I'm thrilled for you but not surprised.

I have never heard of an unofficial CSET passing score not being confirmed by the official report.

6. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

Apr 13, 2009

breadth essay response

Congratulations TheWhite on passing the test! I felt the same way when I found out I passed part 1! I will be writing part 2 in May.

I'm curious... in the sample test questions for the CSET, the test taker is given to choice to choose which artwork in his/her breadth portfolio to write about. Is this consistent with the exam or is it possible that it may request an extended response for a specific work?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2009

Congratulations, saucykitty!

I rather suspect you'll be given the choice, but don't quote me; it will be interesting to hear what the veterans have to say.

8. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

Thanks folks for the help and your invaluable input!

As for the test, you'll have to pick one piece from your BREADTH for one essay and use all 3 of your FOCUS for another essay. At least, that's what was asked of me.

9. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Apr 15, 2009

Yep, you chose which artwork you want to discuss. This is nice b/c you can prepare for this ahead of time...write about your work at your own pace so when you take the CSET, you won't have to brainstorm for long.

So regarding the "focus essay," be sure to chose 3 works of art that have something in common, so you won't be trying to make stuff up in the essay (though the CSET graders may not be aware of this anyway...but it can make it easier for you).

10. rokera

rokera Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

I just got my results for subset II and I got a 215. I passed the portfolio section and the drawing. I need help with the multiple choice section. I used the cset study guide, but I felt that the questions from the study guide did not reflect the questions that were on the test. This is so frustrating, do you have suggestions on passing this section of the test. I'm so close, I passed subset I the first time I don't understand why I can't pass subset II.
    Thank you.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2009

Hm. I assume you've received your printed score report. How many plus marks are you seeing for your constructed responses? And of the three domains tested (Creative Expression; Connections, Relationships, and Applications; History and Theories of Learning in Art), where do you seem to be struggling?

12. rokera

rokera Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

[F]For Multiple Choice Performance Indices
    Creative Expression ++
    Connections, Relationships, Applications ++++
    History and Theories of Learning in Art +
    Overall Multiple Choice Section ++

In the constructed response assignment performance information. I have check marks for each section
    My total score is 215.
    [/FONT]

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 23, 2009

How many pluses overall for constructed response?

Excellent work on the Connections etc. domain! You've got room for improvement in the others, though. The glossary here (http://www.rexart.com/glossary.html) is full of terminology for making art that might help you do better on the Creative Expression domain.

14. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

Hello everyone I am new, I am an Art teacher and need to pass the Cset to keep my job (NO Stress!) jk. I have taken the CSET 3 times I took Part 1 last year and Passed it first time. Then I took part 2. The first time i got a 216 and didn't pass the multiple choice. then the second time I got a 217 and didn't pass the essay questions. I am so frusterated! I would love to get help I know whats on it but for some reason just couldn't write the last time I took it.
    :help:

15. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

I am in the same boat where are you taking the test?
    I am in Barstow but took the test in riverside last time.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 24, 2009

glocks90, my sympathies.

Be aware that you pass or don't pass the subtest as a whole - the results for the different domains and question types are advice for those who need to retake, but it's perfectly possible not to do well on one component and still pass overall.

How many plus marks are you seeing overall in constructed response? How many in multiple choice?

A leading cause of coming to grief on CSET constructed responses is not using the technical terminology - you may get some good from the glossary whose link I posted yesterday, especially if you make a point between now and the test of using those terms in daily life whenever they're even remotely applicable.

17. rokera

rokera Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

For Overall constructed response I received +++
    These books were recommend the annotated Mona Lisa and The art teachers book of lists. Do you think that these books would help with subset II?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2009

The Annotated Mona Lisa, if the author is Strickland or something like that, is a lot of fun - definitely yes. I don't know the other one, but a number of other books of the same type from the same publisher are quite useful.

19. rokera

rokera Rookie

Apr 26, 2009

The Annotated Mona Lisa was recommended for subset 1, but I already passed subset 1. Would it be useful for subset 2?

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2009

Sounds like you need terminology having to do with art making. One would expect the Art Teacher's Book of Lists might have at least one glossary that would help; I'd recommend using it in conjunction with the Internet, though.

21. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

I had a hard time comparing art with dance,

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2009

Have a look at the relevant parts of the state content standards for visual & performing arts; you'll find them at http://www.cde.ca.gov under Curriculum and Instruction.

23. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

May 6, 2009

thanks teacher groupie, do you can i find art developmental schema information? I had a book but sold it to get gas money to get home in college> who knew

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2009

Have you tried Googling "art developmental schema"? And then Googling (or using Answers.com) from there?

25. rokera

rokera Rookie

May 7, 2009

Hi, is there a web site that list materials and tools that are used in wood, stone and metal, three dimensional art? I only studied painting, drawing and art history in college. I never had to work in any of these mediums and there listed on the study guide.

26. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

May 7, 2009

google files, rasps, and rifflers and you'll get some answers Good luck... I'm writing part II as well this month :)

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 7, 2009

I'd guess that Googling "art materials tools" would also help.

28. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

May 11, 2009

The test is this Saturday and I am Stressing!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 11, 2009

Hugs, glocks90.

Did you find the material you needed on art developmental schemata? (Schemata is the proper plural of schema. It's not my fault.) If not, then if you recall either the title of the book you sold or the authors, try Googling them: chances are pretty good that the publisher, if it's a proper textbook, will have a supporting Web site that might well have a fair bit of good information for you.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  30. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

May 11, 2009

Oh no I had that book years ago, i dont have the time or money to get a new one. I did find a site that helped. I just need to get everything together and study which is hard with a 10 month old.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 11, 2009

I didn't mean for you to get the book again, but to see if there's a Web site for it with freebies that you can, um, borrow.

To study with a ten-month-old, try imagining the kid producing art at various ages, or try labeling the art techniques etc. in the illustrations in your kid's books: "Oh, look, Melchizedek: what a nice example of foreshortening! Do you see the foreshortening? ..."

32. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

May 11, 2009

I would really appreciate it if you could share the site url! thanks

33. wcoast99

wcoast99 New Member

May 13, 2009

Hi,

I'm taking the art cset subtest II this coming saturday and i'm really lost on how to study for this test. Is there anyone who's already taken the test and can tell me what's on it and how to study for it? What books should i study from? What kinds of questions are on the test? I would just like some insight on what the test is like and what sorts of questions will be asked.

For subtest I, I studied soley from wikipedia and googling topics in art. I'm not sure that I can do the same for subtest II. It's only a few days before the test and I havent started studying yet and I feel a bit panicked. Tips anyone?

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, wcoast99.

If you passed Subtest I solely on Wikipedia and Google, you're pretty good; carry on.

Subtest II, if memory serves, is the portfolio subtest. Among other things, you'll be asked to discuss your own artwork and your own art-making process. Make a point of using technical terminology from art-making but also from art pedagogy - you may find that online lesson plans are very helpful.

35. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

May 14, 2009

I have taken the Subtest II 2 times and barely missed it I have to take it again. but, i did notice that most of the questions were the same. I kinda thought i was taking the same test and second guessed myself the whole time. I really just broke down the question and tried to understand the vocabulary.as much as possible and eliminated the 2 obvious no answers , I used my teacher text books I am "piloting" Art Talk and Art in Focus from Glencoe. I really like them for teaching high school art and they helped me review for the test. better than ANY test prep book I bought. I went over the chapter reviews and if i didn't know something i looked it up.

But good luck with the welding, woodworking and essays( I blanked out bad on my essays. I sat there for 20 min and didn't know what to write. so i did the drawing while i thought about the questions. I know my vocabulary but don't always know how to use it myself)

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2009

Spend tomorrow using the terminology, then, glocks90, as though you were modeling it for your students to use. Start with simple things you know well, then work into the tricker examples.

37. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

yay!!! I passed I and II!!!

Hey All,

I wrote part 1 in sept and passed... and just got my unofficial score for part 2 (from this past may) and passed that too!!!

just celebrating :)

sk

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

Congratulations, saucykitty!

39. Cali-Gal

Cali-Gal New Member

Jun 18, 2009

Hi All,

I just got my results for the CSET Art and passed both subtests! This is my first time posting, but I read this thread a lot when I was studying and found it very helpful, so I thought I would return the favor and add my advice to others. So here goes:

As far as I know, there is no study guide for this test. I looked and never found one.

Books I found helpful/relevant:
    Annotated Mona Lisa by Carol Strickland - Great overview of art history. It was a quick, fun read, and had lots of photos.
    Calliope's Sister by Richard Anderson - A strange read, but it sets the tone for the test and covers non-western art.
    Approaches to Art in Education by Laura Chapman - A very old book, but it has helpful information about the history of art education.

Read over the standards for visual arts. The vocabulary list was especially helpful.

But most of all, study the Principles of Design and the Elements of Art. If you have a firm grasp of the terminology and can use it in your essays, it will be easier to discuss the artwork they provide, even if you aren't familiar with the painting/sculpture.

Read the standards and vocabulary lists for dance and theater. I am not an expert in these areas, but they will ask you to compare visual and performing arts.

For the portfolio section, practice writing about your own art before the test so you don't have to plan or brainstorm once you get there. By the time I reached the second subtest I was already tired, so having my essays planned out was helpful.

I hope that helps! Good luck everyone =)

Seamingly_ likes this.
  40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2009

Cali-Gal, thanks very much for taking the time to give such terrific advice, and congratulations on having passed both subtests!