CSET-ART

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by nasimi77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 23, 2008

Yup. The point, again, is to show that you can apply a reasonable set of them (and help future students do likewise) in order to say something insightful and coherent about an artwork.

TeacherGroupie tip: Know as much of the terminology as you can, and plan to sling the terms around during the test. If you know a term and it's apposite, it needs to show up in your constructed response. (You can assume that the scorers know the field: you shouldn't give full-on definitions of terms unless the questions ask for them.)

2. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Dec 23, 2008

Thanks peeps! Back to the studying...

3. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Jan 2, 2009

Throwing a question out there regarding the breadth portion for the portfolio requirement of Subtest II...I know we can't submit 3 drawings, but is a pen and ink drawing too similar to a colored pastel work? (They both involve drawing...but the pen and ink drawing is a composition made up of different thicknesses/directions of lines, while the colored pastel work is off a composition colored in pastel.)

Hmm...now I'm worried. I don't have many works in 3D to include, since I never took a ceramics course.

4. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Jan 2, 2009

Just found a photo-collage I made for a freshman college art class....and also an etching I made (its a form of printmaking). Any idea if one of those would suffice for breadth?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2009

Were the photos yours? If so, that might do nicely. I think the etching might too, since the media are different - you'd want to play up the differences in your constructed responses, I should think.

Have you really never done anything in 3-D? No mobiles? Nothing in metals?

6. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

I made artist books (I thought about including that in the breadth portion, but decided they don't reproduce nicely in a single photo).

We had to do some 3D design with cubes, geometric shapes my freshman year at art college...I also made 2-3 sculpture pieces, but they are not appropriate for the portfolio (as in, school children wouldn't be making those sorts of things...too conceptual). The school didn't teach things in metal, and I wasn't interested in ceramics. Now I think about it, majority of the elective courses were in drawing/painting, or just discussing art in general!

(Wow, how art education changes once one pursues it in college! I never realized that.)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2009

Unless something on the CSET Art Web page specifies that the art has to be appropriate to children, I don't know that it makes sense to restrict your submissions that way. CSET exams aren't about testing what you can teach but rather what you know and can do.

8. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Jan 5, 2009

It's never too late to learn ceramics or any form of 3D or 2D Art.

9. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

Just took the CSET Subtest I today....wasn't as bad as I thought. You really can't study for it that's for sure. Talk about RANDOM artists. Hopefully, I passed cause I don't want to cough up $105 again.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2009

I hope you took a break, TheWhite.

Keep us posted, please. Results come out Feb. 9.

11. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

No problem TeacherGroupie.

12. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Feb 10, 2009

I'm very very happy. I passed both subtests!! I received the email, as well as the notice in the mail....I'm a little confused as how to understand the score report though.

Will I be receiving an official score report in the mail, or was that the one? (Such as how I received one for the CBEST.)

Anyone know? How did u do, TheWhite?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2009

Woo-hoo, Artist823!

You'll receive an official printed score report soon. Side 1 won't tell you much you don't already know. Side 2, which doesn't go to anyone but you, will give you some idea where you did well.

14. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

I passed the first Subtest I!!! One more to go next month!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2009

Tremendous, TheWhite!

16. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Feb 12, 2009

Thanks TeacherGroupie.

I was pretty confident after taking Subtest I that I did well, but I still wasn't sure how the outcome would be until the results came. As far as what I can tell about the test, it's not just a matter of memorizing the most artists or movements, it's applying what you've learned from Art History classes and most importantly, what you've learned from proper critiques. Sure, it's bad not knowing about a certain artwork that's presented, but not being able to artistically critique it is worse because it shows your lack of "art vocabulary." Being familiar and confident with "art vocabulary" is definitely a great asset.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2009

(insert here TeacherGroupie doing happy dance)

Yup, yup, yup!

18. rokera

rokera Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

Resources

I received my results and I am five points away, from passing.
    The section that I need help with is the History and theories of learning in art.Can anyone recommend any books or web sites that I can use to pass the test in March?

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2009

A state or national art teachers' association might have some Web pages that would be helpful.

20. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

Hey TeacherGroupie and everyone else,

Is there any changes in the Subtest II within the last year or 2? I've been going back into this thread and reading that it's the portfolio portion of the CSET and I'd be receiving instructions to submit photo samples of my work. My test is on March 14, so will I be receiving a pamphlet 2 weeks prior to that date? Thanks.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 18, 2009

Good question, TheWhite. You might do well to contact the CSET people and ask, just to make sure.

22. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

I know somewhere on the CSET testing website, there is a list of resources one can use regarding the different "sections" of the test...you could check on those.

23. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

I received the portfolio packet a few weeks prior to the testing date...I suggest you start deciding on what images to use for it though, so there's no surprise. (Also helpful to do lots of writing for it, since you'll be writing about a few of the images for the test.) They also have the same exact information on the CSET's website about the portfolio portion.

If you don't get a packet a week before at least, call them!

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 18, 2009

rokera, forgive me for not having gotten to this sooner: but do you mean you need (a) art history and (b) theories of learning in art, or do you mean you need the history of and theories of learning in art?

25. elitedezin

elitedezin New Member

Feb 20, 2009

art cset

Hello Helen
    I am taking the test march 2009 for the first time. Any suggestions besides studying the cset art web site practice exam?
    Thanks! elitedezin16@yahoo.com

26. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Feb 21, 2009

I just received the packet of instructions for Subtest II and I'll fill you guys in as soon as I read through it.

27. rokera

rokera Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

I need help with the theories of learning in art.

28. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

CSET Subtest II: Portfolio Section

-you need 6 photos of your Concentration and Breadth, 3 of each
    -you must show 4 different medias/mediums:
    -Concentration - 1 media/medium
    -Breadth - 3 media/medium

*Must be 8" x 10" or 8.5" x 11."

Everything should be included in the packet that you'll receive. You don't have to hire a professional to take photos of your work cause I'm sure everyone's pretty familiar with a digital camera and has access to one.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2009

rokera, art teachers' organizations can be helpful for questions like yours. Check out the links here:

http://www.caea-arteducation.org/www/Pages/links.html

See also the goodies on the Web site of the California Arts Council:

http://www.cac.ca.gov/artsinfo/research.php

I Googled "california art education teacher" and these popped up on the first page; if you dig further through the links, there might be even better goodies.

And if you live near a college or university that has an art education major, you might try wandering by the college bookstore and leafing through the textbooks for the introductory classes.

30. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

You may want to read up on your general art history...be familiar w/the terms of principles of design and elements of art.

Also helpful to read about the CA standards framework for teaching art (the testing website may have links to that I think).

Are you taking the 2nd subtest as well? You will need to get things together for your portfolio...be sure to do lots of writing about your artwork, so when it's time to take the test, there will be little surprise.

31. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

You do NOT need professional images...but they should be very clear as to what the artwork is.

I was able to print some of the images from my own printer and it worked well (use good paper however).

32. Artista

Artista New Member

Mar 2, 2009

Hi,
    I'm new and I was trying to figure out what exactly I should do to prepare for the test. I'm registered to take it in March, and I've been studying nonstop for the past few weeks. I've been searching online for most of the information, looking at documentaries on art and art periods and such, reading up on principles of art, elements of art, principles of design, etc. and going over the material as well. I'm just wondering, should I be studying extensively on indigenous art forms? Like Mayan Art, Aborigine Art, African Art? To be honest, I probably will but I just wanted to make sure. I've been reading the forums and going over most of the material. I am not an art major, but I took some art classes in high school and I also took some classes in Art History in college. I am also a history major, so some of the material overlaps. I already passed the History CSET, and was just taking this one as an extra Subject I could teach. I am also very good at testing, so I'm lucky it wont be an issue. Considering all this, TeacherGroupie--I've been reading your posts on this website and I know you don't work for the CSET administration but I would value your opinion--I was wondering what I should do? I studied for the different art periods (Byzantine, Ancient Greek, Renaissance, Rococo, etc.); I've gone over the different types of art (ceramics, sculpting, architecture, etc); I've gone over the major artists and I studied extensively on the contemporary artists (Polykleitos, Michaelangelo, Andy Warhol, Ansel Adams, Max Ernst, etc.); I've gone over the art teaching theories (Why it's hard to teach art, state budgeting, etc.); the terms that go with the different art styles (from "figura serpentinata", to chiaroscuro, to apse, ribbed vaults, filigree, repousse, intaglio, pyrometric, etc.); to various elements and principles of art, design, dance, etc.; to semiotics, iconography, various functions and uses of art, etc.; and of course--I went over my work and practiced analyzing them using technical terminology to describe what works, what doesn't, how I developed the work, etc. I also went to the CAEA website, the CTC Standards website (although it was very similar already to the test outline from the NESINC website), and some others that were recommended on earlier posts in this forum, and I also have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and Google Videos on art and analyzing pieces of art, which actually turned out to be one of my most VALUABLE resources (it really amazes me how much information is out there if people would only utilize their resources). I just needed suggestions now on whether or not I should do something else, or if this would aptly prepare me for the test.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

Whew! Sounds like you're in great shape, Artista. And thanks for the nifty tip on YouTube and Google videos.

Could I trouble you to share your sources for the art teaching theories and the like?

34. Artista

Artista New Member

Mar 3, 2009

First of all, TeacherGroupie, it truly is amazing that you have managed to be so committed on helping people through this website. I have seen your posts on this forum which date back to like 2007, and I think it's really wonderful that you are so dedicated on doing this just to help others who are lost on this test (and I don't blame them).
    I tried posting the links, but the site wont let me so I'll just say a basic outline of what I did.
    I used wikipedia a lot for studying, and what I did was search "arts integration" and "art education". I then took the names from there and googled what I found, like "John Dewey", "Harry Broudy", "Elliott Eisner". I also went to a website called SmartHistory, which is a nonprofit organization and they have these videos where they analyze famous pieces of art. It really helps on how to do a proper critique using technical terminology. John Lovett also has his own website, which does a great job on explaining principles of design and art elements, etc. I also used GoogleBooks to preview books on some art theorists, so its really just a matter of internet surfing and finding out what seems to be relevant across the board, and what seems to be an insignificant fact. I also make index cards on everything, so I could take them with me to school, work, etc. so I can review the material and know them well enough by the day of the test. So far, I feel fairly confident but I should mention that I have a genuine passion for art, and fortunately, whenever something piques my curiosity I have the ability to memorize it quickly. I also made a binder just for this test, which really helps me stay organized. It occurs to me that this test was asking for a lot, but I realize that they don't just want somebody who knows how to paint a pretty picture. It seems to be more important for a person to be able to give students the opportunity to explore all the possibilities for art, since they will be learning it at a young age where they might be interested in knowing about all the possibilities.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2009

36. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Mar 18, 2009

I took the Subtest II last Saturday and it was trickier than the first Subtest. Some of the format of the multiple choice questions were pretty straight forward, then there were others that were just confusing. I still don't understand why we had to talk about an art element from a dance? What does that have to do with drawing or painting? I think they should take that part out cause it's not conducive to the SUBJECT MATTER that you're getting tested on.

There's also questions about theories that you'd probably know from going through a Teaching Credential program since it inquired about the relationship with art and kids. Honestly, I was at lost since I don't have any teaching credential experience.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2009

CSET exams are designed to be taken before one student teaches - and, yes, they do contain some material that one encounters in credential classes... but of course the CSU credential programs and increasingly many others require passage of some or all CSETs before one enters.

My guess and hope is that there are few enough pedagogy questions on any CSET that one could pass its subtests without having had those classes. Believe me, though, that if I were in charge of designing the tests, I'd do that part differently.

As to the other question, the trick there is not to get sidetracked by the fact that it involves something you think you don't know: you were to view it primarily from the standpoint of visual art. If you did that - if you applied terminology and approaches and analytical skills you already know from visual art - you should come out fine.

38. TheWhite

TheWhite Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

I just think having a painting or drawing or a 3d piece is much more valuable because it gives visual artists a chance to elaborate, critique, and praise the work to their full capabilities since it's on a familiar medium. It's not that visual artists can't appreciate and critique performing arts, but their evaluation would seem inadequate because of their lack of experience and knowledge of performing arts.

But then again, I could just be speaking for myself here. Hope everyone did good on their tests!

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2009

An answer that shows a strong knowledge of visual art (and a good ability to apply it in this somewhat unfamiliar sphere) will get a good score, I'm willing to warrant. And an answer that's strong in the elements of performance art (whatever they may be) but fails to show a good knowledge of the elements of visual art will probably get a worse score.

Other CSET exams do something like this: they pose a novel situation to which the examinee is to apply his or her skills and knowledge in the discipline in order to come up with a result that accords with the discipline.

40. rescudero

rescudero New Member

Mar 25, 2009

HEllo!!! Im new to this thread, I am going to take the CSET for Art for the first time in May. I am in the studying process and was wondering if anyone that would be taking this exam in May or soon would like to join a study group or anything similar. I will probably have questions later and therefore will be using this thread a quite a bit. Let me know if anyone is interested !!!