CSET-ART

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by nasimi77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2017

I'm not in a position to answer questions of this specificity here, no.

2. Dasha

Dasha New Member

Mar 8, 2017

Thank you for your help.

3. Alexi Elias

Alexi Elias Guest

Mar 31, 2017

Hi Everyone. I took the CSET ART I in December and failed by three points. Omg !! Im taking it again April 8th and 10th. Question- for subtest II my concentration is watercolor painting but I used gouache as well. Can I type Watercolor & Gouache paintings? Breadth question - > Is photography, collage, and charcoal drawing sufficient? From what I gather it is! Any study advice - Im having a very hard time with multiple choice as I passed Written responses really well. They recommended I brush up on Aesthetic Valuing :(

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2017

Aesthetic valuing has to do with how we derive meaning from art (that is, interpret it) and how we make informed judgments about art (that is, compare, contrast, and critique artworks). If you're doing well on the written exercises in both subtests, you grasp the essence of this, but you may be having trouble deploying your knowledge when it comes to multiple choice questions.

I'd recommend reading through the state visual and performing arts frameworks (use your favorite browser etc. to search for "california state framework visual and performing arts", and if one of the links is cde.ca.gov, go there and root around a little; you can download the Frameworks for free as a pdf, and I think you'll find it useful to have so you can annotate it using your favorite pdf viewing software). Then go back to the CSET subtest description pdf; work through the individual statements under each domain, making ample use of the internet to look up each phrase you don't know cold. Wikipedia is your friend here, and in addition some of the arts or arts teaching websites you come across will prove useful in your future teaching.

Looking up lesson plans on aesthetic valuing may also help.

5. marsthecat

marsthecat New Member

Apr 6, 2017

I am going to be taking this test soon and have my images ready to be printed. I noticed in the instructions that our photos need to be on "heavy weight glossy" paper. Does anyone know if it's ok to get them printed on the standard drugstore glossy paper? Also, any personal words of advice on the direction to take my studying would be greatly appreciated!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2017

If you're having the images printed at the drugstore, the standard paper on which photos are printed should be fine. What you want to avoid is printing on standard copy paper: the ink sinks into the paper and spreads, with the result that the image is blurred.

7. Darzymo

Darzymo New Member

Apr 11, 2017

I just took the test today. It was so subjective, intuitive and random that I truly was surprised. I relearned centuries of art history and studied so many ancient art forms. This maybe helped on a just a few questions, if that. The best advice I found on here was to memorize and know the elements of and principals of art. Knowing those helped me to at least make educated guesses in some cases. The subtest 2 essays were almost exactly as presented on the CSET website. So many of the images were ones that I did not know or recognize eventhough I frequent museums and currently teach art. Do not waste your time with the flash cards sold online. This test is not about memorization of terms but all about your ability to interpret art. If I had studied for a year, I would not have been familiar with many of the artists and questions surrounding them. It was really random. I am still trying to wrap my brain around wtf this test has to do with being an art teacher.

Art lover likes this.
  8. Art lover

Art lover New Member

Apr 12, 2017

This is my first time posting on this thread but I have been using the tips and advice for study hints for weeks. I took subtlest 1 in Feb and missed by 8 points. I took it again yesterday and took subtlest 2 today! I am not feeling good about either one. I have read everything I could get my hands on, took the on line AP Art practice tests, and followed as much advice as possible but still had no idea what they were asking on more than half the tests. If the information had anything to do with teaching students art, I would understand, but most questions were obscure and had nothing to do with teaching art or knowing art history. It felt like the test writers were pompous professors trying to prove they knew more then most. Sorry to vent, but feeling hopeless. The questions were about more recent art and other odd questions I would not know how to even look up. I know the principles and elements of art and design inside and out, history of different cultrure and art movements. I have no idea where else to go to study their obscure questions they think are important for teaching.
    If I can offer suggestions to anyone looking for advice, I had read know your elements and principles of art and design inside and out. When I sat down I quickly wrote them down on the white board and referred to them when needed. I would check that I covered them as I was writing. It really helped having them written down. Also, the suggestion of writing out your portfolio pictures before going in to test. It made it much easier to form thoughts and ideas when addressing questions. Thank you to those who shared the tips! I could still use some ideas on where to study for the next go round.

9. Darzymo

Darzymo New Member

Apr 12, 2017

10. Darzymo

Darzymo New Member

Apr 13, 2017

Writing down the elements & principles of art on the white board was my exact first approach too!! I think it helped with a lot of the questions if I guessed right. I really don't see how studying more for this could help, but glad I at least knew those terms.

11. Ashwee

Ashwee New Member

Jul 3, 2017

Hello!
    So, I have taken both subtests two times already, failed, and can't seem to understand what I am doing wrong. I was just told I shouldn't take both on the same sitting. So, that was my first mistake. I feel like I need to try a new study method. None of the books online have been helping. There's questions on there I have NO idea where I would even find the answers for them. I was wondering if anyone would like to start a study group? Or give me any advice on better ways to study. I heard YouTube videos might help.
    I am on a deadline to pass the CSET, and am even on hold in my credential program because of this. I am seriously stressing over it! Please help!
    Thank you

12. Ashwee

Ashwee New Member

Jul 3, 2017

Hello,
    would you be able to get together and help me study? I can't seem to pass and am freaking out!! I will pay you to tutor me! I take my test in sept. Please message me!
    Thanks so much

13. jmckernan

jmckernan Rookie

Jul 6, 2017

Ashwee, I feel your pain and frustration.
    I passed on my first go round, but I am convinced that I lucked out on drawing just the right grader for my written responses.
    Teachergroupie recommends, and I concur, to read the report for clues to where you are weak.
    I can only repeat what I stated before: Annotated Mona Lisa, dig through Google for valuation, aesthetics, etc...
    Use the suggestions for constructed response: it's not an essay, bullet points work.
    I used unusual work for breadth: charcoal drawing, cartoon/commercial art and theatrical set construction, (this one worried me, however I selected a set that was more sculpture like and abstract, rather than conventional.)
    My breadth was painting, I showed a progression from famous artist inspired pieces to original work. Oils through to acrylic. I went into depth on what inspired me to copy styles, what period hallmarks I was attempting to emulate, etc.. my 3rd and final was original, but I remarked that I was channeling my inner Fauvism and cubism...which I was.
    I would like to help you more than this, but not sure what you need to improve upon.
    Your score report will give you hints...

14. marsthecat

marsthecat New Member

Jul 21, 2017

What areas are you struggling in? I just took the test earlier this year and passed. I found that for all essay portions, knowing elements and principles down cold was most important. For practice, I did all the essay questions on the practice exam and tried to incorporate vocabulary words used in the glossary of 'need to know words'. I read quite a bit: annotated Mona lisa, art teachers book of lists, how to look at modern art, short guide to writing about art...

15. sinnylong

sinnylong New Member

Oct 5, 2017

Hi there,
    I'm scheduled to take the CSET in Art (both subtests on the same day) in December. I feel somewhat confident in my knowledge of art history (I have a Masters in Theater, and a lot of the history aligns, as evidenced by my doing quite well on several practice tests). I am still studying, of course, so far with several of the books recommended here (thank you, folks). Where I'm not so confident is in the elements and principles area. Many on this forum have suggested having those down, which I understand. All sources seem to agree on the Elements of Art, so that's easy. But even in my cursory research, I have already discovered three vastly different lists for Principles. They all include Rhythm, Balance, and Movement (and two of the three include Contrast). But one list I found also includes Proportion, Gradation, Harmony, and Variety. Another focuses instead on Unity and Pattern, but doesn't include Contrast (or Proportion, Gradation, Harmony, and Variety). Should I just pick a list, or is one more "correct" than the others? Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017