CSET-ART

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by nasimi77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Artteacherelementary

Artteacherelementary New Member

Feb 5, 2019

Thank you. Great advice and that it what I gather from this blog!

2. Artteacherelementary

Artteacherelementary New Member

Feb 5, 2019

I think I have done the best in the past on writing about ceramics and photography. I am going to write in detail about the methods I used and about some artists that influenced my work, Constanin Brincusi and his use of form and Cubism to create motion in sculpture. For photography I discuss my f- stop and light ect. Also, I have also been influenced by Scott Crewdsen and his use of light and Ansel Adams in capturing landscapes to show the western space.

3. Just Art

Just Art Rookie

Feb 5, 2019

Dear TeacherGroupie,

Thank you for your advise and breaking it down to math. For the portfolio I will change the Graphite powder to Printmaking

4. ArtMiss

ArtMiss New Member

Feb 11, 2019

I will take CSET Art Subtest I in February and Subtest II in March.

Subtest I
    I have a few questions I'd love answered from people who have taken these tests. I have gathered from the CTC preparation materials that the constructed response questions on Subtest I are most likely to include 1) analysis of a non-Western work of art, 2) a simple abstract drawing 3) a cathedral/architectural example, and 4) a Classical sculpture - does this seem to be an accurate model on Subtest I? Trying to figure out what is the best use of my time to review in regard to art history. How well did people do when they were not familiar with the exact works of art on the exam but could make generalizations based on the time period in art history?

Subtest II
    Is it safe to say the perspective drawing part will be a part of Subtest II and not Subtest I?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

5. ArtMiss

ArtMiss New Member

Feb 11, 2019

Subtest II question:

For the portfolio, my plan is to show 3 acrylic paintings for depth and for breadth - hand building ceramics, a drawing (either charcoal or pencil/conte crayon) and I am trying to figure out my 3rd option for breadth - does anyone know if quilting is considered an okay medium? The arts standards do refer to it but I'm not sure. Thanks!

6. meeg

meeg Rookie

Feb 24, 2019

Hello, im taking Art Subtest 1 in about a month, I bought the CSET art book from amazon, simple question here, can i skip " Creative Expression; Connections, Relationships, and Applications; History and Theories of Learning in Art" seeing as that is only on subtest II? I'm only taking part 1 and want to hyper focus on that material. Sub test one consists of "Artistic Perception; Historical and Cultural Contextof the Visual Arts; Aesthetic Valuing." i'd hate to waste precious time studying something I wont need, at the same time I wouldn't want to ignore content that may be on the test. Is it possible some ofthe content from part 2 might be on 1? Thanks.

7. swe__

swe__ New Member

May 4, 2019

Just need some help clarifying my results.
    It says I passed both subsets somehow yet I received a "P" for the third constructed response in subset 1, and a "S" for the second constructed response in subset 2. My overall constructed response score for subset 2 was only (1+). I also received (1+) for historical and cultural context of visual arts multiple choice section. I am just a bit confused. If I didn't receive checks for all the constructed responses and a single + for one whole section, how did I pass? Was everything else good enough to help me pass overall?
    It just seems too good to be true, because I was certain I failed. Am I mis-reading my overall results that say I pass? My subset scores are blank, but it says "pass" next to it.

@TeacherGroupie can you help?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  8. LizCaffey

LizCaffey Rookie

May 4, 2019

On the first page of the results they send you before specific scores it will say at the top Test Results and underneath Art Subtest I(140) and Art Subtest II(141) then and has a space for Pass if it says "pass" next to both subtests you passed both subtests. You only need to score 220 out of 300 so it is possible. If you scored at least 220 which is weighted by the way, you pass regardless of individual section scores.
    If you received a letter instead of check it will give you a reason they marked you down. Like if it says a P instead it means you missed the purpose of the question. You don't need high marks on every category to pass or even score highly on the overall test. If the front page says pass next to both subtestests- you passed both

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 4, 2019

Performance indicators (pluses, checkmarks, p, k, s, and d where applicable) analyze one's performance on the various elements of the subtest - but LizCaffey has this right: one passes or doesn't pass the test as a whole. (Multiple choice counts for either 70% or 80% of available scaled points - so, yes, it's mathematically possible to pass with a strong multiple choice performance and few to no points in constructed response.)

10. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 10, 2019

Hello! I am planning to take the test in the spring. Meanwhile, I am thinking about my portfolio content. I want to do an ink drawing for concentration, and watercolor, color pencil, and mosaic for breadth. I am also thinking about oil, acrylics or gouache (instead of watercolor?). It looks like I should definitely do a mosaic, as it's the only 3D choice. Would a portfolio like this be too weak? Thank you for your advice!

11. LizCaffey

LizCaffey Rookie

Jun 10, 2019

The main thing is that whatever you pick you are prepared to write about- look at the example answers on the website for a reference and plan out what you would write. They are not going to be ultra picky about your artwork just that you have a concentration and the different ones for breadth. If your concentration is ink that falls into the drawing category so don't put another form of drawing in the breadth or if you do oil paintings for concentration don't put watercolor for breadth. Acrylics, oils, watercolor, colored pencils are all considered painting. I know it seems odd to consider colored pencil painting but they do. You can have your concentration be drawing and then have three types of drawing. I mostly paint in oils so I did oil paintings for concentration then ceramic sculpture, drawing and photography for the breadth. The idea is to have a specialty then show variety and be able to write about it like the sample questions.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2019

LizCaffey is right: the scorers aren't going to be judging your artwork, Alleria, but rather your ability to reflect on your artwork, and you'll almost certainly be asked to discuss how different media make different demands on you as an artist and how you respond to those demands. Mosaic looks like a good choice for breadth (though I'm not convinced that mosaic is three-dimensional, unless you're applying it in three dimensions - in which case you'd have some other things to talk about, so that would be even better). And what do you mean that mosaic is "the only 3D choice"?

13. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

"the only 3D choice" for me. I don't do sculpture or ceramics. Well, I do and I used to do it, I'm just not sure I can find somewhere to do it now. So, if ink drawing will be my concentration, what can I chose for my breadth beside mosaics? I don't do photography or computer design art.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2019

Painting works, and I'd go for a form with the least possible overlap with your ink drawing (or perhaps the other way around: I mean, if watercolor painting were one of your breadth areas, I'd choose an ink-drawing work that doesn't involve washes).

As for sculpture, there can be practical issues, yes. But how about papier-mâché, or air-dry clay, or modeling clay? Or perhaps some kind of subtractive sculpture, either free-standing or bas-relief? Styrofoam can be a bit fussy but is quite carveable, and one could probably do interesting things with one of those big wax pillar candles.

15. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

thank you!

16. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

Is it allowed by the rules to paint papier-mache?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2019

You're welcome, Alleria. I'm always happy to help untie the knots that our fears can get us hobbled in.

If you go with sculpture, let me recommend keeping a diary of the difficulties you encounter and how you deal with them.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2019

You tell me: is the result primarily a painting, or primarily a sculpture? And is the painting independent of the form underneath or quite otherwise?

19. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

Do the rules allow me to paint the papier-mache or do I HAVE to leave it unpainted?

20. glassgirl

glassgirl Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

Hi guys, I just want to put out there that you do not have to have a 3D piece in your breadth, as long as it sufficiently shows a breadth of your abilities, and mosaic is sufficiently different from your other pieces to qualify. I passed the portfolio section without any 3D pieces (digital painting concentration, watercolor, pen, and photography for breadth). Not to say doing something more definitively 3D isn't a good idea too, just make sure you're putting your best foot forward. Balance showing breadth and your strengths as an artist.

Might be a good idea to make the additional piece, than pick which ever one you think is a stronger demonstration of your art skills. ;D

21. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

Unfortunately, it does not answer my question about the rules. I just want to know if it's allowed by rules or not.

22. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 11, 2019

Thank you very much!

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2019

Hugs to you, Alleria, and I'll spell this out: I think there's no reason that it couldn't be painted, provided that your discussion focuses on it as sculpture.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2019

Mosaic seems to me, too, to be a fine choice for Alleria's breadth, glassgirl, and you're quite right that three-dimensional art isn't required. What LizCaffey and I were concerned about was the extent to which Alleria's other two original choices for breadth - colored pencil and either watercolor or acrylic/oil - might overlap with each other and with her concentration choice.

If Alleria can do things with colored pencils that are demonstrably different from both ink drawing and watercolor or oil, AND if she can convincingly make the case for colored pencils making demands on the artist that neither ink drawing nor painting do, then that would work - but I suspect that making it work might not be easy. That is, from a test-taking point of view, it might be safer to go with a medium that is more obvious in its difference - and Alleria has already told us that she's done ceramics and sculpture.

25. glassgirl

glassgirl Rookie

Jun 12, 2019

I have no disagreement with any of that. Minimizing overlap in ones breadth is important. It just sounded like (and perhaps I was mistaken) you were suggesting replacing the mosaic with something more three dimensional, which wouldn't solve the problem of watercolor and colored pencil pieces. If you were suggesting it instead of one of the other pieces, my apologies for miss reading!

Anyway, not trying to step on any toes. ^^

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2019

No worries, glassgirl: it seemed to me that you were entitled to an account of my thinking, and as a helpful side effect that Alleria and other readers who are considering their choices might benefit as well. Printmaking (woodcut, lithograph, etching), textile art (tapestry, embroidery, dyeing), and paper cutting would have been other fine choices, and I'm sure you can think of more alternatives than I can.

No toes stepped on here, and thanks for weighing in!

27. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 14, 2019

Will the costume for a ballet or play be a valuable option?

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2019

Interesting idea. Would your photo be of the finished costume or of the designer's rendering of the costume?

29. Alleria

Alleria Rookie

Jun 15, 2019

The finished costume of course

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2019

I could imagine it working - and posing potential hazards - either way. The test taker who submits a design risks getting distracted into discussing the design primarily in terms of drawing (this could be disastrous for someone like you with a concentration in drawing). Since you're submitting a photo of the costume, you'll be less tempted to veer off into discussing the work as a drawing, and as long as you're careful to focus on the costume in terms of visual art rather than home economics, you should be fine.