CSET-ART

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by nasimi77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. jmckernan

jmckernan Rookie

Aug 11, 2016

Yup,
    Yup, you are correct in correcting my terminology...easier to say "essay" versus "constructed response". But there is a difference..yes.
    Just completed subtest 2. Not as bad as one, but still contains questions not prepared for.
    For those of you listening: look up stages of development for youth. Paigett and his cronies, then add in your search the modifier 'art'. There were a bunch of questions about these folks and their ideas. I didn't know any of the art types, just the usual education types. I had to guess based on time period and prevailing attitude of that time.
    Processes, and art jobs fill out most if the rest of the multi choice.
    Describing your own art should be a slam dunk, but as we have seen, it might not. I tried to toss in terms again, hope it was enough.
    I actually ran up against the word limit once and had to pare down some points of interest; didn't feel like I made my point. I didn't make a bulleted list like "teacher groupie" suggested.
    Great idea, cuts out filler words.
    Good luck, all

2. jmckernan

jmckernan Rookie

Aug 14, 2016

One last thought...
    If I were to do it ALL over again, ( assuming I pass the first go around,) I would schedule the second test first. The topic of some of the constructed response questions is your own work. This is where you are the expert, this is where you can have whole responses ready to go in your melon. Add in a bunch of art terms and you, hopefully, should be good. The who, where, why and what should be thought of before hand.
    Also, you can prepare for the inter-connections prompt as well. Come up with as many different combinations: dance and art, music and art, etc....
    From a testing anxiety point if view, I found the questions less intimidating on the second test, but that could just be me. Lastly, you very may well glean some tidbit of info from the questions on the second exam that might be helpful to you on the first exam, too
    Oh, and concerning the mometrix test prep again...best thing it offers is a practice exam. That is worth something...

3. amanda myrdal

amanda myrdal New Member

Oct 31, 2016

I am currently in the process of finishing my cbest and will be taking my cset shortly after. My art of concentration is cinema and I am wondering how would I go open displaying motion picture for the cset portfolio. Does cset consider film as a concentration? If there is anyone out there that can help me out it would be GREATLY appreciated

4. jmckernan

jmckernan Rookie

Oct 31, 2016

Cool concentration, but from my limited experience, it going to be tough to convey in still images. I am a set design/art director and did use an image of one of my sets as one of my secondary portfolio submissions because I was afraid that it would a too tough to use as concentration. I approached it as akin to sculpture. This doesn't really help you much, though.
    I would think that if you tried to find something other than film as your concentration you might be better off. If you had a film noir still, lots of contrast/ half light, that could go.
    Just my thoughts, good luck

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2016

That's a very good question, amanda myrdal. I don't recall whether there are rules for submissions in multimedia, but that's what I'd recommend checking. You might do well to put the question directly to Pearson.

6. Michelle Howell

Michelle Howell New Member

Nov 26, 2016

Hi there. I have taken the subset 2 twice now and the thing that gets me is when they show you a piece of art and you have to discuss its relevance. Is there a resource I can use to study up on some of these artists and/or artworks? Honestly, the reference in the last test, I had never seen before.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 27, 2016

Hm. Do you own a good history of art?

8. Michelle Howell

Michelle Howell New Member

Nov 28, 2016

Yes, I do. I have the text books from when I was in college.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2016

I'll guess, then, that you're having some difficulty connecting art history with history. The relevance of an artwork is a combination of its content (what's depicted in it and what its symbols symbolize) and the culture and events in which it is embedded: art (like music, theatre, literature, and more) both shapes and reflects its history. Here are two exercises:

1. Leaf quickly through your art history books, looking for the artwork you don't recognize or for art that strongly resembles it. When you find the artwork or a plausible substitute for it, read carefully what the art history book says about it and about how it reflects its times. Think about how that explanation makes sense of the artwork. Then choose another artwork and, without looking at what the book says, make some notes about ITS relevance - it's okay to use an artwork you know well to begin with. Check your notes against what the book says. I'd recommend doing this exercise with a number of artworks, especially ones from periods or movements with which you're increasingly unfamiliar.

2. If you hate history but are all right with video, see if www.learner.org still has the video series The Western Tradition - it should be streamed in half-hour episodes. Choose an episode that covers a time period with which you're not familiar and watch it, paying attention to how Eugen Weber connects history and literature and economics and art and music and all. Repeat with other episodes.

10. Jon Gibson

Jon Gibson New Member

Dec 1, 2016

Hello everyone,

My name is Jon and I am preparing to take the second CSET Art test in two weeks. I am very nervous (just like the first one) but feel pretty good overall.

My question concerns the portfolio concentrations. I am a computer-based artist but I have a ton of hesitation in using that within my breadth portion, let alone as my concentration. In the PDF handbook examples it shows that having an oil painting and a watercolor painting is unacceptable. Should I interpret that to mean:
    1. I cannot use a digital painting (Corel Painter or Photoshop)?
    2. Is a Photoshop collage considered acceptable?
    3. Illustrator drawings?
    4. What about modeled 3D environments and objects (Vue and Blender)?
    Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post. I called Pearson and CTC - neither were willing to clarify the handbook. They literally said, "Sorry, we cannot interpret the language of the handbook for you."

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2016

This is from page 5 of the manual, yes? What it's telling you is that the state lumps computer-based art together with painting and drawing in terms of the kinds of demands that they make on the artist and the kinds of skills that are required. You don't have to like that, but I get it: don't computer-based art programs often make a point of how like painting and drawing they are?

For breadth, the state wants to know that you have skills in other kinds of art that are less similar. Do you see that lithography in example D is not boldfaced? That means that lithography as a breadth area would be fine with computer-based art as a concentration area: yes, it involves drawing on the stone, but then it requires knowledge of additional processes that aren't shared with drawing per se. You MIGHT get away with that Photoshop collage for breadth, depending on how you do it, but it will be up to you to sell the scorers on the proposition that it requires skills that your concentration pieces don't; a non-Photoshop collage might fare better, and you'd do well to combine it with at least one piece in three dimensions (papier-máchê, clay or metal sculpture, for example, or ceramics or woodcarving). Other choices might be cut-paper art or fabric art.

12. Jon Gibson

Jon Gibson New Member

Dec 2, 2016

Thank you for your reply TeacherGroupie. I have read the manual several times and understand what the boldface font and non-boldface fonts mean. My question was if computer-generated art cannot be a painting or drawing then what would they consider to be acceptable and why are those requirements not clearly stated. There is a lot of cross-over in terms of skills but each has additional skills not found in the other. Your example of lithography and drawing exemplifies these nuances that confuse me. Thank you anyway.

If anyone reading this has used computer-generated art as their breadth or concentration and can share their experiences or thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2016

The point isn't that you can't use computer-generated art and painting and drawing. The point is that you can't use computer-generated art per se for concentration and then use painting and drawing for breadth. If you want to use computer-generated art and painting and drawing, use them together as your field of concentration, figure out something to call it, (possibly "painting, drawing, and computer-generated art", or even just "painting and drawing"), and be prepared to defend the senses in which it can be viewed as a single art discipline. That still leaves you with the need to come up with other disciplines for breadth, of course.

Have you read and thought about possible responses to the constructed response questions?

14. jakor

jakor New Member

Dec 6, 2016

A question about the Breadth portfolio: I am a graphic designer/filmmaker and would like to use one of my animated pieces as an example for breadth. Since it is difficult to show a work that unfolds over time in one image, I was hoping to use a storyboard format on my 8x10 print, showing 6 images from the animation on the single page. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2016

Good question. I would think the answer should be yes, provided the skills your illustrating clearly have more to do with the visual-art element of filmmaking than with elements that lie more in the domain of theatre art. You'll need to be prepared to defend your choice, though, and to ensure that the images you supply are large enough to provide clear evidence for your point.

16. jakor

jakor New Member

Dec 6, 2016

Thank you TeacherGroupie, the information you provide in this thread is enormously helpful! It is interesting to me how the portfolio guidelines don't accomodate or even mention filmic storytelling, which is such an important element in how young people experience visual arts these days. The rebel in me will likely use the animation as one of my samples... and I stand ready to defend!

17. amanda myrdal

amanda myrdal New Member

Dec 6, 2016

I am taking the CSET subtest 1 in about two weeks and am asking for advice on great study sources. I have my degree in filmmaking so there is a lot of painting and other mediums of art history that I want to be familiar with for the test. Any advice I am all ears! Thanks in advance.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2016

What have you been using to study so far?

19. amanda myrdal

amanda myrdal New Member

Dec 6, 2016

I haven't started studying yet!!! :\ I just finished taking the cbest this weekend. I signed up for the cset subsection 1 in two weeks (trying to make application deadline for teaching credential program). Not sure where/what to start looking at first.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2016

Two weeks? You have a challenge ahead of you.

The state framework for visual and performing arts at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/cf/documents/vpaframewrk.pdf contains a useful glossary, though since its copyright date is 2004 it's a bit old-fashioned as regards electronic media; still, it's the document that fleshes out the California content standards in the arts, and the content standards are what CSET Art is aligned to.

The Internet is your friend. Try searching for terms (and artists and art movements, and art-criticism approaches) that you don't know thoroughly; as you search, keep looking for references to terminology that you don't know. Then practice USING the terminology. Most major art museums' websites offer up very helpful resources in art history (with some surprising riches in media as well). Start with the Getty Museum in LA and other major California museums, but bear in mind that you can search literally around the world. YouTube can also be helpful.

To organize all of this, you particularly might try imagining that you're going to produce a series of short videos on art history: storyboard them, paying attention to the most salient similarities and differences from one period or movement to the next.

LizCaffey likes this.
  21. MandyD

MandyD Guest

Dec 19, 2016

Hello,
    I am due to take the Art CSET on the 22nd, well, in a few days. This will be my second attempt taking this exam. I was 6 points from passing subtest I, and 19 points from passing subtest II. My first attempt of this exam was August 2016. I am doing both subtests in one sitting. What bothers me is that there are centuries upon centuries of art work to study, plus terminology, teaching theories, and fundamentals and principles of art. I did well on the multiple choice portion of the exam. However, not so well on the written portion. I read the directions of the written portion to keep the wording to a minimum. Like one written response section said minimum word count of 75-150 words, which I did. Did I read/interpret the directions wrong? I read it as to keep the word count within 75-150 for your response. The drawing section of the test was a fun breather within the exam. A little brain break. I recall from the exam I took in August had a lot of recent art, art from the 90s and early 2000s, which I had not studied, so I did educated guesses on those. I recall a few of the written response questions, again more recent art work from the 20th century. I guess my question is, do I continue to study a broad range of art work, or brush up on the recent art that I recall from the first time I took the exam? I'm guessing that the company switches the exam content...? It's tough to go into this test unknowing what's on the exam. I have been studying my old college art history book, I have read the Annotated Mona Lisa, Fundamentals of Art textbook from college, American Art History textbook from college, and CSET Art exam study guide from Mometrix. I feel as though I'm over studying, unfocused. Another thing that bothered me about the exam is that the exam had very little reference images in color. The images on the computer exam were almost all black and white images; as if the computer exam was scanned copy of the paper exam. I recall one question on the exam asked how the use of color in a painting added emotional dynamic to the painting, and the image reference was black and white. I'm at a point with my credential program that I need to pass this test this round or it delays my enrollment in my classes. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated as I feel frustrated, nervous, and overwhelmed by this exam.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 20, 2016

What diagnostics do you see on the second page of your score report?

Your inference that content won't be identical from one version of a subtest to another is correct. Please think of this as meaning that some of the questions you'll see on Thursday will ask about things you know that didn't appear last time.

Scorers of a constructed response want to see that you can pull together an answer that a fellow art teacher would recognize as sensible, that you can develop your answer using the terminology and principles of visual art, and that you can support your answer with appropriate evidence and reasoning all of presented in the terminology of visual art. Scorers are not generally looking for a polished essay with introduction and conclusion; a bullet list within (or even as) an answer works perfectly well. They really don't want to see the question restated, aside perhaps from a phrase to get you rolling. (Restating the question at length is usually viewed evidence that the test taker is stalling for time.)

Art history is lots and lots of content with lots and lots of potential datapoints, yes. But design principles and elements of art are somewhat fewer - and can be useful as tools to help you get a grip on the art history, by giving you labels for the ways in which one art movement differs from the next.

23. amandajean

amandajean New Member

Jan 24, 2017

Hi all,
    Taking the CSET this Saturday and next. BEYOND NERVOUS. I am wondering if anyone knows if paper collage would count as an acceptable medium for the breadth portfolio? Im using painting as my concentration, and then photography, drawing, and hopefully collage as I do not have any sculpture or ceramics.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2017

Paper collage looks fine for breadth, especially if you have a piece that's somewhat sculptural, or at any rate more three-dimensional than your painting, photography, and drawing.

25. amandajean

amandajean New Member

Jan 27, 2017

What about an up cycled piece. I salvaged old theatre chairs and remodeled them, nailing them to a piece of wood covered in red felt. Do you think that up cycled furniture could count as a sculpture. I use it as so.

26. amandajean

amandajean New Member

Jan 27, 2017

I had the same issue, I called and they said the same thing. I think that is silly, because directions should be clear. Even as teachers we will need to give clear concise directions to our students. IF they made it more clear which mediums are acceptable, then we wouldn't have to ask! :mad:

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 27, 2017

It isn't this medium vs. that medium that concerns the test makers, it's the combinations to suggest breadth. The test makers want art teachers who can produce in a range of media and thus presumably teach students in an even wider range.

Laying out every permissible combination wouldn't be easy. Forgive me, but I'm going to explain with math. Suppose for sake of argument that there were exactly 17 permissible media. Math tells us that the number of combinations of 17 media taken four at a time is
    17!
    4!(17-4)!​
    which is equal to
    17!
    4!(13!)​
    You may recall that 4! is math talk for 4•3•2•1. 17-4 = 13, so we can factor this expression as
    17•16•15•14•13!
    4•3•2•1•13!​
    Everything in the denominator can cancel out something in the numerator:
    17•4571 = 2,380
    111•1•1
    2,380 is a LOT of combinations to have to list - and that's just 17 media: chances are pretty good that either of you could come up with more - and just think how many media weren't even around 150 years ago. By the way, the number of possible combinations with 18 media is 3,060. Obviously fewer than the total possible number of combinations would be permissible - but it would take quite a bit of time to work out ALL the possible combinations. The California Alliance for Arts Education tells us that, as of 2009, there were about 8300 full-time credentialed arts teachers in the state; it's not impossible that there would have been a different combination of concentration and breadth media for each. And I think the refusal to list out all the specific combinations is intended to give more freedom to test takers rather than to restrict them.

To answer amandajean's question about whether the upcycled chair collage would be sculptural enough, that's even more three-dimensional than I'd had in mind with my example of paper collage: go for it.

28. amandajean

amandajean New Member

Jan 27, 2017

I obviously didn't not expect the entire permentation! lol I just wish they would list accepted mediums in general sense since from the directions it seems like only painting drawing and sculpture and ceramics are ok when there are so many more Forms. Thank you for your help!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2017

I think they figured that listing fewer distinct media but showing how those few can and can't combine would get the point across compactly; experience indicates that when prep documents or books are long, many test takers speed-read some sections in ways that make them miss information that they need.

30. Dasha

Dasha New Member

Mar 6, 2017

Hi @TeacherGroupie

I have a couple of questions bout Subtest ll and the portfolio.
    I am going to offer:
    1. Mixed-media Installations as concentration (is it a right definition of the technique? could it be applicable for the exam?)
    2. pencil drawing
    photography
    collage
    Could you take a look at my portfolio ) and recommend me a couple of ideas about the responses, right definitions, examples of statements. Being a foreign artist I feel puzzled and not sure about what American artists and technics should I mention as references for my works.
    http://dashasur.com ( concentration)
    https://readymag.com/indashawetrust/artisticportfolio/ extended portfolio (for breadth)
    Thank you in advance!
    xD

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2017

I'm not in a position to answer questions of this specificity here, no.

32. Dasha

Dasha New Member

Mar 8, 2017

Thank you for your help.

33. Alexi Elias

Alexi Elias Guest

Mar 31, 2017

Hi Everyone. I took the CSET ART I in December and failed by three points. Omg !! Im taking it again April 8th and 10th. Question- for subtest II my concentration is watercolor painting but I used gouache as well. Can I type Watercolor & Gouache paintings? Breadth question - > Is photography, collage, and charcoal drawing sufficient? From what I gather it is! Any study advice - Im having a very hard time with multiple choice as I passed Written responses really well. They recommended I brush up on Aesthetic Valuing :(

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2017

Aesthetic valuing has to do with how we derive meaning from art (that is, interpret it) and how we make informed judgments about art (that is, compare, contrast, and critique artworks). If you're doing well on the written exercises in both subtests, you grasp the essence of this, but you may be having trouble deploying your knowledge when it comes to multiple choice questions.

I'd recommend reading through the state visual and performing arts frameworks (use your favorite browser etc. to search for "california state framework visual and performing arts", and if one of the links is cde.ca.gov, go there and root around a little; you can download the Frameworks for free as a pdf, and I think you'll find it useful to have so you can annotate it using your favorite pdf viewing software). Then go back to the CSET subtest description pdf; work through the individual statements under each domain, making ample use of the internet to look up each phrase you don't know cold. Wikipedia is your friend here, and in addition some of the arts or arts teaching websites you come across will prove useful in your future teaching.

Looking up lesson plans on aesthetic valuing may also help.

35. marsthecat

marsthecat New Member

Apr 6, 2017

I am going to be taking this test soon and have my images ready to be printed. I noticed in the instructions that our photos need to be on "heavy weight glossy" paper. Does anyone know if it's ok to get them printed on the standard drugstore glossy paper? Also, any personal words of advice on the direction to take my studying would be greatly appreciated!

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2017

If you're having the images printed at the drugstore, the standard paper on which photos are printed should be fine. What you want to avoid is printing on standard copy paper: the ink sinks into the paper and spreads, with the result that the image is blurred.

37. Darzymo

Darzymo New Member

Apr 11, 2017

I just took the test today. It was so subjective, intuitive and random that I truly was surprised. I relearned centuries of art history and studied so many ancient art forms. This maybe helped on a just a few questions, if that. The best advice I found on here was to memorize and know the elements of and principals of art. Knowing those helped me to at least make educated guesses in some cases. The subtest 2 essays were almost exactly as presented on the CSET website. So many of the images were ones that I did not know or recognize eventhough I frequent museums and currently teach art. Do not waste your time with the flash cards sold online. This test is not about memorization of terms but all about your ability to interpret art. If I had studied for a year, I would not have been familiar with many of the artists and questions surrounding them. It was really random. I am still trying to wrap my brain around wtf this test has to do with being an art teacher.

Art lover likes this.
  38. Art lover

Art lover New Member

Apr 12, 2017

This is my first time posting on this thread but I have been using the tips and advice for study hints for weeks. I took subtlest 1 in Feb and missed by 8 points. I took it again yesterday and took subtlest 2 today! I am not feeling good about either one. I have read everything I could get my hands on, took the on line AP Art practice tests, and followed as much advice as possible but still had no idea what they were asking on more than half the tests. If the information had anything to do with teaching students art, I would understand, but most questions were obscure and had nothing to do with teaching art or knowing art history. It felt like the test writers were pompous professors trying to prove they knew more then most. Sorry to vent, but feeling hopeless. The questions were about more recent art and other odd questions I would not know how to even look up. I know the principles and elements of art and design inside and out, history of different cultrure and art movements. I have no idea where else to go to study their obscure questions they think are important for teaching.
    If I can offer suggestions to anyone looking for advice, I had read know your elements and principles of art and design inside and out. When I sat down I quickly wrote them down on the white board and referred to them when needed. I would check that I covered them as I was writing. It really helped having them written down. Also, the suggestion of writing out your portfolio pictures before going in to test. It made it much easier to form thoughts and ideas when addressing questions. Thank you to those who shared the tips! I could still use some ideas on where to study for the next go round.

39. Darzymo

Darzymo New Member

Apr 12, 2017

40. Darzymo

Darzymo New Member

Apr 13, 2017

Writing down the elements & principles of art on the white board was my exact first approach too!! I think it helped with a lot of the questions if I guessed right. I really don't see how studying more for this could help, but glad I at least knew those terms.