CSET and Special Education

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by crazycatlady80, Sep 18, 2015.

1. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Sep 18, 2015

I'm looking to teach special education in a middle school - English and Social Studies only. Do I still have to take the multiple subject CSET? I can't just take it in English and social studies. I have a documented learning disability in math and want to avoid doing it at all costs.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2015

To answer your question, I'd recommend finding the local county office of education and asking the credential analysts. By and large, though, I rather think that CSET-MS is a requirement, if for no better reason than that moderate/severe special education IS self-contained.

As to the math issue, hugs, and bear in mind the following:

1. Since you've got documentation, you can apply for special accommodation: more time is usual, but you might be able to get a formula sheet, or something else appropriate.

2. If you haven't already passed CBEST, you can satisfy the California basic skills requirement via CSET-MS plus CSET-Writing Skills.

3. For CSET-MS math, in contrast to CBEST math, a calculator is provided (it's in the software).

4. Math is half of CSET-MS Subtest II - but that also means that math is ONLY half of CSET-MS Subtest II. The rest is science - and the scorers don't care whether a test taker doesn't do particularly well in math, as long as the test taker picks up enough points in science to make the magic 220 scaled points.

alp123 likes this.
  4. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Sep 18, 2015

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2015

More hugs.

Have you passed CBEST?

6. Els

Els Guest

Oct 11, 2015

Do you have a CA credential? Far as I know you need to have the CBEST and CSET for a multiple subject SPED credential. I actually had to pass the CBEST just to get into a credential program. And have to pass the Cset to qualify for the internship option (I work while I get my credential)

7. SPEDMAMA

SPEDMAMA Guest

Nov 9, 2015

I feel your pain. I finished my credential program in 08. I am in the same boat, TRYING to pass the bloody MS-CSET Subtest 2! I have tutor, book and study guides. I took practice test on Friday and failed miserably. I want to quit. I will continue my journey, as it is one uphill battle.

8. Rg-chrono

Rg-chrono Rookie

Nov 17, 2015

By any chance are you doing the CENTSE LAUSD internship program?? I am looking towards doing that program next year, 2016. I am currently working through short term staff permit, Special Education: Special Day class: Autism. The RICA is currently the last hill I have to climb before I can get into the special ed internship. :( Test has been a nightmare, already took it 2 times and failed it two times. :(

9. Rg-chrono

Rg-chrono Rookie

Nov 17, 2015

Good luck! I suggest trying "TeacherTestPrep." They are an awesome resource! you can take their online tests and it will show you what videos to watch in order to support your studying. :) It was a great help for me, when I had to jumped through the hurdle of passing teh CSET:MS.

GOOD LUCK!

10. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Feb 28, 2016

Hello Everyone,
    Today I took the CSET Multiple-Subject II subtest for the "umteenth!" I can only hope I did well and reached the 220 score. Two times already I have missed it by 1 point (219/220). I am in my 2nd year teaching Young Adults (SDC class), and have been working under a Short-Term Staff Permit and Provisional Internship Permit. My next step is to move into Internship status to maintain my teaching position. I feel lost, discouraged, and want to give up due to this test, but I WON'T! I have math anxiety and have had trouble with the Math-Constructed Responses on the CSET. Science, I am pretty strong at. I have been using CliffNotes, Barrons, and took on Teacher Test Prep (a month ago) for studying. I'm reaching out to ask people what they are doing about anxiety, when you go into the exam, you see certain questions, clam up and go blank?! Any other sources I should try? This is my last Subtest I need out of the Multiple Subjects Tests. . . Anyone recommend any tips, hints, advice?

Moondoggie feeling lost and frustrated in Northern California. . . :(

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  11. EddieMSmith

EddieMSmith Rookie

Mar 17, 2016

That's partly why I want to do Special Ed with a specialty in Foundational Science. I don't want to deal with all the things that the Multiple Subjects would entail, along with the RICA.