CSET and Special Education

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by crazycatlady80, Apr 29, 2015.

1. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

I am in the process of enrolling in a Special Education Internship Program through CSUN. To get into the program, CSUN requires that you take the CSET or obtain a subject waiver. I need to take three classes over the summer and I will have a subject waiver for the Social Sciences. Problem solved, at least I thought. Today, I spoke with a principal with a LAUSD elementary and she said CSET no longer does subject waivers. She was not the first person to tell me this information. As per her suggestion, I called LAUSD NCLB office. I was told that I would never get a job as a special ed teacher with social sciences waiver and need to take the Multiple Subjects CSET. I was NEVER told this by CSUN. In fact, I'm finding that CSUN is telling me a lot of stuff and LAUSD is telling me the exact opposite. I'm super confused.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 29, 2015

Go chat up the credential analysts at the LA County Office of Education: they're fairly likely to have a solid grip on what you actually truly need.

As I understand it, a special education teacher who teaches in a self-contained classroom - all subjects to all students, and instruction generally not at a high-school level of sophistication - must fulfill the subject-matter requirements of the multiple subject credential, which means passing CSET-Multiple Subjects and RICA, the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment; neither exam has ever had a waiver option since its inception.

Things get more complicated when the special-ed teacher is teaching in a departmentalized setting. On one interpretation of state law, the teacher needs ONE subject-matter credential, either multiple subject or in one secondary subject. On another interpretation, the teacher needs a secondary credential or endorsement in EACH subject area in which the teacher will teach. I'm less than certain that the second interpretation is justified, based on the language, but there's nothing to prevent a district from requiring more of its teachers than the minimum in the law.

4. alsolo11

alsolo11 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

I've been working in LAUSD for over 8 years as a special education teacher and coordinator. I've encountered this issue several times with new hires. If you want to teach in an elementary school, then you need to pass the CSET multiple subject test. Your social science waiver only allows you to teach SDC social science. However, many secondary schools do not have social science in SDC. Instead, they mainstream their students in this area. That's why you were told you would never get a job in this area. I would recommend you pass the CSET multiple subject test. However, if you want to work in a secondary school, you have two options. The first option is to pass the single subject math or English CSET. These two subjects are always in demand. You will have no trouble finding a job. Option 2 is to pass the multiple subject CSET and take the VPSS training that LAUSD offers in order to get highly qualified status. These classes are offered throughout the year on Learning Zone. Good Luck