CSET and Job Fair the Same Day!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teresaglass, Mar 7, 2009.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

I signed up for a charter school job fair on the Saturday I am taking the Multiple Subject CSET. There is no way I can rush through the test and get down there on time. I do not want to postpone the test. I feel like a doofus for missing this opportunity. Three teachers at my synagogue who also work for my district said that I was stupid to be looking for a teaching job when LAUSD is not hiring. They told me I would be laid off as a special ed. assistant and I would not find a job anywhere. I did not tell them I was looking. Some other person did. I feel so depressed. I have certification in special ed. and science and my district is recruiting in those areas. It even says that on their website. I am afraid to tell anyone I am looking because everyone thinks I am such a loser. Now I have to miss a job fair. Should I just give up taking the CSET? No one will probably hire me anyway.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2009

Find out who will be at the job fair. Call each one, and explain the difficulty, and ask if it's possible to schedule a short interview at a better time.

I bet many say no. But who knows--- maybe you'll get a "real" interview out of it???

4. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 7, 2009

Are you taking all three parts of the CSET? If not, you probably won't need the whole 5 hours. If you're taking all three, then never mind!

Aliceacc is wise. Find out if you can meet with schools at a different time. If you tell them you're taking a CSET it shows that you have priorities, but that they are important enough for you to want to meet with them.

Also, you're not a loser. Losers would blow off the test and tje job fair. You're trying to do both. That makes you a superhero! :thumb:

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 8, 2009

Teresa I feel the same way as you. Why add on to my credential or look for a job when no one is hiring? I have a MS credential already and am in school right now to add a single subject in science (I will be done next month). Everyone tells me science is in demand and yet I feel like it is not going to happen for me. I was also going to go to that job fair but really want to work for a school closer to home and do not know if any of the schools at the fair are in my area. I am feeling discouraged.

6. palla

palla Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I like Alice's idea. Call the schools and see what they say.

And, no, you aren't a loser. Anyone who thinks you are a loser because you are looking for a job right now is the loser!

Good luck!

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2009

Regarding the MS-CSET vs. Job Fair ... Especially if money is an issue - don't waste the money you paid for the test. Take it and don't let the job fair distract you. It's really important that you take the CSET, as it's unlikely LAUSD will hire you without having passed - even with your credential. They put a huge importance on that test!