CSET advice, What would you do?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Karlena, Dec 28, 2020.

  1. Karlena

    Karlena New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2020
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1

    Dec 28, 2020

    Hey everyone! So long story short, I started preparing to get into a teaching credential program last fall. I already have a bachelors in a different subject and did not know really all of the requirements or how many steps there was to get into a program until literally a few months ago. I get out of the Navy next August and my hope was to then start the teaching credential program nearby that same month. With COVID I have struggled to get some things done. I was able to take the CBEST earlier this month and I passed it overall with a 126. I did not realize how intense the CSET multiple subject tests were. And the testing sites near me are limited on space and availability. So here is my dilemma, my application for the program is due by April 1st 2021. I can sign up for the subtest 3 in mid February and the subtest 1 in middle of march. But there is no test availability for subtest 2 for like 6 plus months. Plus my results for the test in march will most likely not be given to me by April 1st. And this is all banking on me passing these first time up. I have contacted my school with this concern, but just wondering what you all would do. The reason I am pushing to start next fall is because the Navy with my GI bill gives me money for living expenses when i am in school and if I have to wait to apply in January 2022, I fear income issues if I cannot obtain a simple part time job. My school offers waivers to fill out for not being able to take tests due to COVID but it doesn't mean you will get excepted. I am just very frustrated with myself, because had I known I needed these tests I could have worked on this the last year or so, but I was so focused on work and finishing my masters I didn't realize. Apologies that was long! I am just really stressing out about planning my future once getting out of the military and would like to be better set up, because it is a big transition. Thanks in advance for any advice!
     
  2.  
  3. CaliforniaRPCV

    CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    209

    Dec 28, 2020

    I don't know what the requirements are for your program. I don't know where you are and I don't have experience with this particular CSET. However, my experience tells me that, when test dates get close, a few people cancel and test appointments could become available. So, one thing to do is to check often to see if appointments open up.
     
  4. lilamrta

    lilamrta New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2019
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    Dec 30, 2020

    I am in the process of getting my teaching credential right now. I start my student teaching next week. YAY. The one advantage I had was that the state of California did not require you to pass your CSET before applying for student teaching, but I have to pass in order to complete the CalTPAs.

    I am taking my final exam on Sunday, I am still waiting for my test results for test 1 and 3. I wanted to recommend that you look at booking your exam the week you want to take the test. For instance, if you were ready to take exam 2 next week you could probably get a test if you looked to book it. People cancle a couple of days before their exams all of the time. This is how I have booked all of my tests. Also, I am driving an hour and a half away for my test. You might have to expand your testing sites.
     
  5. Karlena

    Karlena New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2020
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jan 1, 2021

    That is awesome to be starting student teaching!! I am trying to get into the credential program at Fresno State and they require the passing of the CSET or equivalent to get accepted. I only wish I had known all of this a year ago! I did log on a few nights ago and you are correct people seem to cancel because before there was no availability for the month of december before and earlier this week it showed the 31 was available,. However I did not feel ready to take one of them yet. I did expand my search and got signed up for subtest 3 in early february and i am really shocked but i did find a subtest 2 available at teh end of february so I just took it, even though I will only have a short time in between exams, I plan to study a lot for subtest 3 now and then integrate studying for subtest 2. The only exam I worry about is subtest 1 because I scheduled it early march, it was the earliest available and I heard it takes like a month or so to get results? So, I do have all 3 tests scheduled now, but I fear if I do not pass one I will be forced to push my application to next year. Thank you all for your responses!
     
    CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  6. CaliforniaRPCV

    CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    209

    Jan 1, 2021

    You can study for both at the same time. And if you don't feel comfortable, you can cancel:) I'm not sure I ever took a cset the first time I scheduled.
     
    Karlena likes this.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 270 (members: 2, guests: 240, robots: 28)
test