CScope

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherintexas, Aug 31, 2010.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 31, 2010

Who else is struggling with this? We are trying to merge our new reading adoption, Daily 5, and guided reading together with the IFD's, YAG's, exemplar lessons, and we must take the assessments.

Ugh. I'm exhausted!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2010

Is CScope a type of curriculum?

4. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

OMG...teacherintexas I know and feel the pain. We are trying to do the same thing...
    We can't find enough time in our schedule to do everything they want us to do.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2010

I still don't know what cscope is, however we are trying to blend a variety of things too

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2010

Almost every district in Texas is using the curriculum. It was even on the San Antonio news. They aren't using textbooks anymore. I don't see how that will work!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

Lynn~CScope is an online curriculum.

I know a lot of districts who are moving to this. Some people like it; others, not so much! I know our district got it this year, but we're only using pieces of it this year.

8. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Sep 9, 2010

My district has just moved to it. Fortunately, we are not required to use it for reading, but we are using it for math, science, and social studies. For math, I have like the lessons, but they only take about 45 minutes, not the required 90 minutes, so I am supplementing with our adoption. In second grade, we have consumable workbooks, so I just look for the workbook page that corresponds with the CScope lesson and use those for practice.

The social studies lessons seem really boring to me. They are mostly, "talk about _______ topic in a group." The science lessons are OK, but since Texas has new science TEKS this year, the old lessons aren't really applicable.

I'm not sure what I would do if I had to use it for reading. I guess I'd just try to work the topic or skill into my small groups or focus lessons and continue to do my independent reading/literacy stations the same way.

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2010

yes it's an online curriculum that lots of Texas districts are using. I've heard science is good, but so-so attitude about the rest. My district uses our own curriculum that is way better. AND..... no textbooks. Good teaching doesn't come from a basal. But the school where my kids go uses CScope.

10. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Sep 10, 2010

OMG it is a struggle! I may not be a teacher who is teaching under C-Scope but the teachers who are are just overwhelmed. It is so heavily structured that our teachers feel like they can't help a student who is falling behind catch up b/c they have to move on to the next lesson. It is organized down to the day and what lesson you will teach. There is a couple of days of cushion if you need to reteach or want to supplement your own things.

SO if you were to move from Austin to Dallas and yoru kid moves schools, they would be picking up where they left off in their own town b/c every teacher in a grade level is teaching the same thing on the same day throughout the state.

We just got a brand new copy machine and between the time we started back to school teacher meetings and the end of the first week of school we had already tallied up 77,000 copies on the copy machine. Holy cow!!

11. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

I use it as well. I don't follow everything exactly. I use it as a framework only.

12. typingteacher

typingteacher New Member

Sep 11, 2010

My team is doing the same thing as yours, and when we first began looking at CSCOPE (for reading), it seemed like it was going to be extremely hard to integrate with everything else, but it's been working out pretty well so far. This is how my team has been doing it:

*Use the IFDs to locate the big ideas of what you're teaching.
    *Use the exemplar lessons to see how to teach the big ideas. With the exemplar lessons, we normally merge the mini-lesson and learning applications sections. These two sections seem to be similar. We don't always teach it exactly as CSCOPE suggests...

We normally start with our CSCOPE lesson, and then we do our D5 lesson right after that. We try to integrate CAFE into the CSCOPE lesson. For example, in 2nd grade last week's CSCOPE lesson was on inferring the meaning of unknown words. One of the CAFE strategies is Use text clues to infer unknown/unfamiliar words. We just merged the teaching of the CAFE strategy with the CSCOPE lesson. Then Daily 5 stuff (Read to Self, Read to Someone...) happens after that.

We haven't used the new reading adoption yet, but we are planning on using the stories in the new adoption when they match up with the topics in CSCOPE for reading.

We also mapped out separate times for Reading, Word Study, and Writing in our schedules so I think this helps out with planning and using CSCOPE. I don't know if this has helped any, but I can send you an example of our reading/writing/word study plans if that will help. :)