Crying!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Mrs.Z., Feb 12, 2009.

1. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 12, 2009

Alright, let me first start out by saying that I love teaching Kindergarten. I can't imagine teaching any other grade. Butr there is one thing, that I just, just, HATE!

CRYING! The snot dripping from the nose, the huffing and puffing, the big pouty lip....enough ALREADY!
    :spitwater:
    I have a rule in my class (that I HAVE caught flack for in the past). You can only come cry to me if you are hurt on your body, or in your heart (feelings). I don't wanna see it if Jessie got your favorite book first, or you really wanted a purple paper.... Today I had one bawling!

I just say "Please go to the restroom, get yourself a tissue and some water. You may rejoin us when you have yourself under control."

I know it's a bit harsh, but it's like nails down a chalkboard for me!

How do you deal with it. And be honest, if you think I'm mean, tell me. I need to hear it. I promise I won't cry!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2009

I used to tell a girl two years ago to "dry up!" So nah, you're not mean! :D But, it depends on the situation and the student. Today, I had a girl crying and crying. It was a very uncomfortable situation, actually. There is a history with this girl and so I was very sensitive to her needs. With the other girl from two years ago, she would cry just for attention. I mean, she would be smiling as she was bawling. Eventually, it got so bad that the reading first coach who worked right next door, would take her out of my room and stick her in the office! I'm lucky that I don't have much criers in my class this year.

OY! But, my partner teacher does!!!! She has a handful of sensitive students. Everyday there is a kid crying over something ridiculous! BLEH!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 14, 2009

One year I had two students who cried over EVERYTHING. I mean not getting turns, looking at them the wrong way and so on. It sounds harsh but I would tell them to stop. I would tell the kids to ignore them.
    One drove me nuts and I would send her to the office everytime she cried. She eventually stopped. She began her antics in 1st grade.

Usually I am very sensitive to the crying and we work through their problems. No one really cries this year. But I have two who go to the nurse EVERYDAY at recess. I am putting a stop to that one too.

5. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 14, 2009

I had a fifth grader begin to cry after I spoke to her about a pushing match she had with a boy in another fifth grade class in the breakfast room before school began. The day before she was reprimanded for a conflict with another boy at lunch. She probably was looking for sympathy,as she is far from sensitive and always in trouble. I think some children from early, on feel they will get what they want if the tears flow.I guess it depends on the situation,but many times I just become frustrated with their crying.

6. TXKinderTeacher

TXKinderTeacher Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

I have a lot of criers this year. Mostly it happens when they have to change their behavior color, but I have one who cries over everything! Usually if it's an attention thing, they will stop once you don't give them the attention. This kid will continue for a HOUR, even with no attention at all! I've made her go into the bathroom, but she wails so loud that I still can't teach! Sometimes I remove her from the room (to another class), but many times she won't go on her own, and I don't want to pick her up. Once my principal had to come down and scoop her up and take her to the office.

Usually when they start to cry over not getting something they wanted like a certain color of construction paper... I'll just say the rhyme: "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" and at other times I'll say, "We don't do that in Kindergarten." It works for some kids. Usually the lack of attention will work for most. But there are those few that NOTHING works for because they are basically immature and parents have given in to them when they cry.

I have been known to snap my fingers in front of a child's face and make that "Uh!" sound.... and that helps some kids. Crying doesn't particularly bother me, but it's not part of "big school" so I make sure to deal with it as best I can.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I'm 50 years old and I'm a cryer.

Not when someone steals my book, but for a whole lot of other reasons. My older sister is totally different... when dad was dying of cancer, she made it a point not to shed a tear in public. I'm the total opposite. Crying is how I deal with stress. It's not a ploy for sympathy, it's how my body reacts to stress.

Some people punch walls or drink or go to therapy. I see lots of theraputic benefit in a good cry.

So, yes, my AP saw me crying when I had to tell him I was scheduled for radiation treatments. And my husband and kids have seen lots and lots of tears from me over the last year. I cry when I have a fight with my husband. And my students have seen me cry at a funeral for a student, or when it was announced that we had lost a teacher to brain cancer.

And I'm 50.

Are these things on the same level as the purple crayon?? To me, of course not. But very possibly to that 5 year old child.