Crying?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by roll, Nov 28, 2010.

1. roll

roll Rookie

Nov 28, 2010

Talked to a few people who already completed their internships, they were all talking about how many times they cried, who saw them, etc. What do you say? I'm wondering how emotional next semester will be. I try to handle criticism well but I can see it getting to me, especially when I'm already feeling insecure.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2010

I am the world's softest touch when it comes to tears. I mean it-- a Disney movie, a Hallmark commercial-- anything at all and I'm a mass of tears.

That said, the only times I've cried at school were:
    a) when learning of the death of a student or a colleague.
    b) when telling the principal/AP/colleagues about my medical issues.

As a sheltered Catholic School kid from the 'burbs who student taught in a NYC public school-- no tears.

I say don't borrow trouble. Anticipate a lot of work and a lot of learning, but don't assume that things will go poorly enough to bring on the tears. KNOW that you're going into this to learn how to teach, and don't assume you're already a pro. That way, you'll be expecting some critiques, and they won't wound you.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 29, 2010

I know I cried almost every day for the first part of student teaching. It's tough going from theory to practice! Also, I made so many mistakes that had me kicking myself when I went over notes with my CT. Looking back, I was probably much harder on myself than I should have because I am a second generation teacher and thought it should just flow genetically. When it didn't, I never questioned my resolve to be a teacher but wondered when I'd finally be as good as my parents.

Reflect, write down your thoughts and then reflect on the writing. I still go back to my journals from my student teaching time to remember the basics. It gave me the base of where I am now.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2010

I had a pretty tough student teaching experience the first time. My master teacher didn't seem to be very caring and didn't really like me there, I felt like an intruding guest. She didn't say a word to me about how I was doing until my very last day there when she dropped this huge ball on me and said that she didn't think I would cut it as a teacher. She went on to say that I should redo my first experience all over again.

My university supervisor thought differently. She said she could feel the weird tension at the school and that I did just fine. When I did my second ST I did extremely well.

Not once did I cry. I just shrugged it off and moved on. I guess I developed a tough skin early on.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2010

I never cried during student teaching. I had two great mentor teachers; however, I have had plenty of days where I've cried during teaching!

7. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Dec 2, 2010

I never cried at school or in meetings during my student teaching semester, but I definitely had a breakdown nearly every night in the comfort of my own home. I think my emotional state was related to sleep deprivation and the other obligations I had at the time (writing my honors thesis, for example). I was also trying to apply to grad school, start a new relationship, etc. It was a tough semester because there is SO MUCH going on in your last semester of college. Teaching was very tough, but it wasn't the sole cause of my lack of emotional well-being during my student teaching semester.

Every student teacher I have known had a tough semester, but so many factors affect HOW tough it is. If you have a good coordinator and a good cooperating teacher, you will probably be just fine. If you have problems with your coordinator or cooperating teacher (or if THEY have problems with each OTHER), there may be a bit of drama. If you have other obligations, it will be hard to find a balance between those things and student teaching. But it can be done! I really value my student teaching semester, and I learned a lot about time management to boot.

8. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 2, 2010

Going in and knowing its a learning experience will help a great deal. The way I figured it, if I was going to screw something up, that would be the time to do it when I still had some sort of safety net. I approached it as that there is a way to find make everything work, effectivness debatable, but there is a way to solve the problem.

The only time I lost it and cried was because I was so frustrated with my CT. I would ask him for suggestions and the answer I would get would be either "You're fine" "I don't care" or "I don't know what to do with them[meaning the students]." It was at home and I was just that irritated.

I also cleared my schedule of obligations of everything that was not absolutely neccessary for those few months. (I had the blessing of not having to work that semester) Get rid of uneccesary stress.

9. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 2, 2010

I almost never cried before teaching. Not even when puppies die in movies. But I cried in the evenings my first year teaching. I cry at work at least once a year, but usually in the bathroom after everyone has left. I hate it, but there are days when there is nothing else to do. My student teaching experience was more humbling and embaressing than tear jerking, though. I had a good mentor who didn't over emphasize my mistakes. I made plenty, though.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

I didn't cry at all during my student teaching... but I felt very prepared (I know not all educational programs are created equal). I spent time a lot of time planning, and going above and beyond, which really helped with some of my anxiety.

My first year of teaching I cried twice, on the way home after IEP meetings for two seperate students. I was so frustrated that they were not getting the services that they truly needed.

Now, I cry much more frequently. I think it is because I really know the families now, and take in too much of their hardships. I also think of my staff as my family now... so I think I feel more comfortable confiding in them, which sometimes leads to tears.

11. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Dec 5, 2010

Student teaching can be stressfull, no doubt about it. Almost all of the student teachers that I did my practicum with had a 'moment or two'. It's long hours, you're being evaluated, and you're doing something that you're brand new at. It's to be expected. Just have a sense of humour and a sense of adventure and you should get through it just fine. Enjoy the process!

12. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I am finishing my student teaching experience at a at-risk school. There are two times I want to cry.

1. When I hear about the horrible conditions my students are living in and the hardships they have had before high school.
    2. When their behavior/understanding is so bad I feel like I've failed as a teacher. (Example after a week of teaching the contitution I had students tell me we never learned this and asking me what a contitution is...)

What I have found that helps is going to a corner to reflect on how I can make that student's experience the best it can be and how to accomidate all students. Sometimes venting helps too ;)

13. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Dec 13, 2010

It is definitely a stressful experience; however, it is what you make of it! I just completed my senior internship, and I can recall going to the bathroom to bury my face in my cardigan and cry at least three times. I feel like I am pretty strong, but the time I cried were times when I felt like my lessons weren't clear and I also had complaints from parents (one about a project I assigned and another about how I graded something). Just take everything as a learning experience and know that you can grow from your mistakes and your accomplishments.

The last time I cried in the classroom was on my last day because I realized how much my students cared about and appreciated me. I tried oh-so hard not to cry, but I was overwhelmed by all the kind and heartfelt words my students had for me.

My advice is not to let anything get to you (even when a parents approaches you!). Just reflect on how things could have gone better, and then go from there to reformat your lessons and actions.

Best of luck!

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2010

I started teaching full time as an intern in September and will start student teaching in the spring.

I cried once before being evaluated by the principal. My nerves were escalated by taking 4 classes at night, and accidentally erasing another teachers "do not erase" board. I start student teaching in Jan. - perhaps I will cry again!

I cry when I'm touched emotionally - reading a story, talking about life, etc. My students think it's cute. (I'm the age of their moms and even some of their grandmas). We're going to be reading "Night" after the winter break. So, I'll be crying quite a bit.

15. AFine

AFine Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

Scared, too!

I am student teaching this January, and I am really nervous, too! I have met my CT and he seems SO nice and encouraging and like he will really challenge me in a good way. I have just heard so many horror stories too. I hope it goes well for both of us!

16. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

Guess I'm in the miniority, bc I found ST to be relatively easy. I did not work and took no other classes, besides the one I had to go to for ST. Actually, probably the most frustrating part of it all for me were all the long, tedious, assignments I had to do for the class to go along with my ST. It took up a ton of my time on the weekends. My supervisor was great which helped of course. He offered a lot of great tips and was really helpful. My first coop I was pretty close to and she was really helpful with planning my observed lessons, tips, stuff like that. If you don't become immediate friends with your coop, which you might not, DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL. Plus, you with them for what, a month? One coop never offered advice . At a good recommendation from them. I also never taught a full day in either of my placements, did more observing, grading, and working in small groups than head classroom teaching. I actually don't know anyone from my school or any other ST's who had teachers who let them take over entirely or that had them write lesson plans each night. I know I read that a lot on here too.

As helpful as it is, I would advise AGAINST googling teacher horror stories or you will go into this expecting the worst, like I did. It really is a learning experience and you are going to make mistakes. Your coop teachers know this too so don't feel like it's the end of the world.

17. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 14, 2010

This might lead to a problem in your first year of teaching... I would try to make sure you are doing as much of the daily activities as possible (and as your CT allows). I had a friend that made it through student teaching no problem but never fully took over. She did cry every night her first year of teaching and quit after that year. I think she wasn't prepared for how hard a full day is, with all the planning and prep that goes into it since she never planned a full day. It's not all hugs and love letters... they are great, and you do get a lot of them, but there is a lot of stuff that goes on in between! I put a lot of work into my ST, and I feel like I got a lot out. It's going to depend on how comfortable you are, and what your CT allows you to do.

18. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Dec 15, 2010

I respect your opinion, but I don't think the fact that I never taught a whole day will really impact me negatively. I know at least 3 people who never even student taught and became teachers and are still doing it years later without a problem. Of course I know the job is tough, but I also think some people just aren't meant to teach and if you are goin to be crying every night bc a 4th grader offended you, I know one ST who this happened to and ran off to the bathroom crying, or every night, well I don't know. There's no other profession I know of besides doctors where you get 4 months to practice doing something before you do it and quite honestly if I was a coop teacher I don't think I would ever give up my entire day to a ST either. I feel more than enough prepared to teach after this.

19. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 17, 2010

It is tough to manage the art of teaching. Try to focus your emotional energy, make goals, emphasize successes, leave some time for yourself.