Crying when breaking a rule...

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, Sep 17, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Sep 17, 2006

I am a new K teacher. I have 3 students (all boys) that start bawling almost everytime I have to move their clip on the behavior chart ( I use a stop light type system). They know that yellow is just a warning (I also usually give a verbal warning before I move their clip to yellow also), but they still cry and throw a fit. I think they are just trying to get their way, but this has continued despite the fact that they get no sympathy from me when they cry from being moved to yellow. Has anyone else dealt with this?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2006

If they cry when being disciplined, they are in even more trouble. I don't put up with crying being used to manipulate me and that is all they are doing to you(or trying to.) Tell them to stop their crying or they will lose another whatever it is you are doing...oh and by the way, I think "warnings" are not the answer either. I don't use any of those kinds of tactics...they do something wrong, they are removed from the activity for the rest of the day. STop being so nice. They are not treating you very nice...and you need to put a stop to their nonsense.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2006

Grammy, I agree.......I often use the term "dry up" when my kids try pulling that stuff with me. I don't tolerate it at all.

5. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 17, 2006

Woo-ee! I like that term "dry up"!!! You're tougher than I am! I always come across as the hard nose in my grade level! Kinderkids, I'm using that term next time.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2006

Ditto! Crying to get out of things gets them in even more trouble. I don't tolerate it, or want to hear it for that matter. At this age, they should be over the whole temper tantrum stuff.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2006

I had a girl who would scream her lung off when she moved her name. One time, she screamed in my ear and started laughing. Boy was I pissed!!!! Since then, I started a picture behavior graph, which has worked. But like everyone else has said, if they misbehave, then oh well, too bad, stop crying. Also, before I have them move their name, I always say to my offender very sternly, you have two choices, stop this behavior, or you will move your name and practice behaving during your recess time. You are now wasteing our learning time. This always does it.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2006

Hehehe! Let me know how it works! It never fails for me.........the kids look at me like........wow, guess crying WON'T work! :p
    (I'm so mean.........;) )

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2006

My class has been so inattentive during circle time. They are a bunch of UNCREATIVE SPOILED BABIES!!!!!!! They don't have the real love of learning like my last class and it just MAKES ME MAD.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2006

That's a frustrating position to be in Grammy. I have one that is like that. She literally takes deep breaths on purpose (like after someone is done running a mile!!!) when she is doing something because she thinks it's exhausting. Grrrr! I tell her just to knock it off because it irritates the heck out of me. Her mom is the exact same way!:crosseyed

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2006

Jen, I have a little girl like that, too. She sighs when she is lazy or bored. She did it today in circle and blurted out, "Can we go outside?" I said, "No," we can't because you have been so rude and it takes away from your time outside. You can imagine the looks I got.
    I have to tell you what happened. This one little girl was going to the schools program and I noticed they were teaching her to write her name in all capitals(after I had taught her the correct way and she was doing a great job of it.) So, I sent a note to the teacher and mom telling them she already knew how to write her name correctly. The mom talked to her teacher and asked her if she could do it that way instead of all caps, since she already learned the correct way. The teacher very snottily told her NO. So, mom pulled her from school and put her in my program!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE all love it.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 19, 2006

"I can't understand you when you cry" "I can't help you if I can't understand you." "I have no idea what you are saying because I can't understand you when you cry." I have used this on my kids and sometimes on my students. They dry up because ultimately they want to be heard. The ones I can't handle are the ones that shut down and hide their heads so they aren't looking at me (then they can't see me sign or talk to me).

As far as feeling like your class is xyz, I understand. This year my class is TOTALLY different from last year. Sometimes I think we remember our last class according to how they've grown by midyear and end of year but forget their adjustments in the beginning. Also in spite of differences in the students (some negative), I find that when I see them CHANGE from something I said or did, I really start to bond with them. It's the little things that affect me. In the beginning it seems more insurmountable. In the long run, they may not be as mature as another group and may seem or actually have many issues. In the short and long run, seeing them grown will create a bond that isn't there in the beginning.

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2006

Wow! I can't believe that teacher!!! Good for mom for seeing the nonsense of that teacher. And good for you for sticking to your guns!