Crying students?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Aug 14, 2010.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

What do you do if you have some students who are scared of school the first few days and start to cry after their parents leave? I can deal with one crying child, but what about multiple kids?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 14, 2010

Start a really engaging activity. If there is a small group of crying kids then you need to get them busy and distracted. Pull out a puppet, put on some music, set up playdough, read a book aloud, whatever it takes to get everyone engaged.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

The first few days of school for us is all about making that seperation a less dramatic thing. I tell all my parents to "drop and run" because they simply get over it faster (both parent and child). So, when it comes to activities, our free play centers are on the opposite side of the room from my entrance (ON PURPOSE!). So, we offer a few days of free play.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 15, 2010

Love the drop and run thing. I try to encourage that, too. I've done the activities on the other side, too. Or at least "let's go to the restroom first before we get started playing". That gets them out of sight, too.

6. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I guess I'm a bit different from the others. I allow parents to stay with their children if they wish, although most decide to leave. For those dealing with separation issues, I also try to distract them with fun art stuff. Play-doh, paints, and scissors all work really well. Sometimes, I will try to play a fun game to distract them - something simple like ring around the rosy.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

I have to tell you, sometimes, I just look at my assistant and, because there is nothing else to do, we laugh. But, yes, distraction is the key. And many hands (not parental hands if you can get them to leave, but staff hands) is also helpful because there will need to be hugs and hand-holding.

8. ScooterJen

ScooterJen Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Crying students

I am like SamIAm on this one. I usually give the parents the option to stay for the first few days and work on a sort of weaning process. After a day or two of staying the whole class period (I only have three hr sessions) then the next day they will only stay two hours, then one, then just read a book and head out. I think it is pretty important for the parents to tell their children they are leaving(some try to just sneak out on them...imagine what this must feel like to the child!) and explain that they will be back.

Of course not all parents want to stay or can stay, so either my assistant or I will sit down with the children,offer lots of hugs, read a story, put headphones with soft music on, pull out an activity like play dough or water/sand play because these are very soothing for many kids. Also, sometimes taking that child outside for a walk where it is quieter can calm the child and give them a chance to form a bond with you.

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions! I am just nervous that I am going to have many crying children the first day...lol. When do you start to incorporate your circle time and center activities into the mix?

10. ScooterJen

ScooterJen Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I incorporate circle the very first day. I don't have any planned small group activities for the first two weeks or so. I keep my circle time really short and do a song, dance, short game..something active and really engaging. I really like to get them in the routine off the bat.
    This year my program decided to have half the students show up the first day, the other half the next day, then all of them on the third day. I think this will really help with a bunch of crying kids and routine setup.

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 19, 2010

That was also my fear for the 1st day of stagger entry for the prekinders. But amazingly I only had 1 crier for about 30 seconds until I took her hand and told her that she would see her mom later. May have helped greatly that with stagger entry they come in small groups of 3-5.

12. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I had planned a short book "The kissing hand" and then a small handprint painting activity. I am also going to show them each center and show them how to play with things.