Crying & Pouting Fits

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 25, 2003

I have this 3 year old student who is in my pre-school class and whenever I say were going to learn this or that, if she dosen't want ot do that, she will run out of the room or get on the ground and cry. This really messes up our whole plan. Were always late doing stuff because I have to get the child under control and the rest of the class starts talking or goes to play. This has been going on for some time and i don't know what to do. It seems i have tried everything including new discipline plans and comtacting the parents but it dosen't seem to help!

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 25, 2003

Is this the same child from the other post?

What have you tried so far?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 26, 2003

Seems you're letting this crying child have too much control over the class- If you start everything late because of having to console this one kid, you really have to reconsider how consoling her is actually reinforcing her crying behavior. It's not fair to the rest of the class. Do you have an aide who can take her somewhere until she's under control so you can keep teaching? I think I would tell the child she has a choice: you can do this activity with us now, or you can go get under control and join us when you're ready. You don't want to give her too much attention for the crying/pouting. Put the responsibility back on the child! Talk to the parents as well- she just may not be 'school ready'.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 26, 2003

hey! It's me again...... the original poster! I have already contacted the parents many of times but they all they do is have a little talk and then leave..... they say she's ready!

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 26, 2003

What have you tried so far??

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 27, 2003

Original Poster-Me!

It seems I have tried everything....... talking to the parents, new disipline plans and I had asked the principle for an aid but she never got back with me! What else should i try? Sorry for the typos! ;s

8. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 27, 2003

Maybe I'm slow, but I just can't get a good sense of what interventions you have tried with this child. I know you have talked to the parents and principal, but what are you doing in the classroom? What exactly do these 'discipline plans' consist of? So far it seems like the child throws a fit and is allowed to disrupt the whole class. What kind of limits have you set? What are the consequences for misbehavior? If you consistently follow up negative behaviors with consequences she will not like, and good behavior with positive reinforcement, things will improve dramatically. You may not have discovered which reinforcers work for her, which is why I keep asking what you have tried.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 28, 2003

Original Poster

Sorry, I guess i didn't say it right! I have these thigns on the wall that they have 4 peices of paper in them and everytime the child does something wrong or mean, I tell them to go pull a slip and they put the first one in the back and when they get to the RED slip, I have to have a talk with their parents. Though, this isn't working, anything I shoudl try??

10. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jan 28, 2003

What happens on the colors leading up to red? When does this child throw these fits? Is there anything that she seems to enjoy doing? I think if you could give us some more information we would be able to help better.

11. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 29, 2003

Margo- I agree, but I have asked that 3 times! LOL

It doesn't sound like this person has 'tried everything'. All I'm aware of is this card system. I have not seen this used for little ones, but it can work in elementary classrooms- IF the children are mature enough to understand the consequences, and it sounds like this child is not.

It sounds like something simpler and more immediate is needed. I've already discussed positive and negative reinforcers, so I won't get into it again, but I do feel that that is the root of the problem. This person needs to find out what motivates the child and play on that- I'm sure that with a little more information, there will be a lot of people here able to help. :)

12. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jan 29, 2003

I know you have tried Angela. That is why I thought I would ask, too. Original poster - please, try to give us something more to work with. People on these boards have great ideas and suggestions but need to know the complete situation so that we can better help you. We don't want to make stabs in the dark.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 29, 2003

I Have tried lots of things I just didn't list them!!! At the end of the day, the children get 4 points unless they had a slip pulled. If they had 1 pulled, they get 3 points and so on. Once the child has 10 points, they get a prize. The child always seems to have these fits, during any class. Lately the parent has been coming in and controlling this child, but she can't do this forever.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 30, 2003

I think what everyone is trying to tell you (nicely) is that your card pulling system may be too complicated. If it works for the rest of the class, fine, but it's definately not working for this child. I will be happy to help you, but I need to know a few things. First, do you have an aide/para/assistant? If so, the answer is very easy. When he/she has a fit, you teach the class and the aide removes her from the room or takes to the back/side of the room away from the others until she has calmed down (you and your assistant may want to switch off, so one of you is not always stuck with dealing with problem behaviors). I would say after he/she has calmed down he/she should sit in a "timeout" spot for a minute so he/she sees there is aa consequence to his/her behavior. There is no choice. If you can take him/her out of the room plan an activity you know he/she loves and be doing that when he/she comes in. Let him/her see he/she is missing it. Now, as soon as he/she is calmed down, and re-joins the group, praise her immeadiately, excessively, and specifically--not "you're being good", but "So and so, I'm so glad you came to group to" Or "So and so you're sitting so nicely."
    Now, if you don't have an assistant it will be more complicated but not impossible. My answer is ignore her behavior, get your group going on whatever activity you have planned. Once they are started the take the child tell him/her to calm down and rejoin the group, or sit in a designated "time-out/thinking/quiet spot" There are no other choices. And you used the word console in one post, don't "console" this child. It seems to me this crying fir is a very easy way to get what/he she wants. Be firm (not mean, huge difference) and don't give in.
    Ok, there's my two cents, sorry if I came off to strong, but it seems oobvious this child is running the class, excatly as he/she wants. I hope this advice helps.

15. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jan 30, 2003

Thanks!

Hey, it's me again, the original poster. I don't have an aid and at the time, I'm not able to get one! Thanks alot for ALL your guy's help! A special thanks to: Shilo, Margo, AngelaS, and everyone else who helped! Thanks and I will try this and tell you how it goes! Again, thanks! :)

16. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 30, 2003

I'm glad you think Shilo's advice will work- it sounds like you've got a good plan. The problem with your current system might lie in the fact that 2-5 year olds often cannot recognize numbers, count to 10, or add numbers with sums to ten, which is what the 'point' set-up requires. How many children do you have? I think it is very unusual for a preschool teacher not to have an aide- generally, in my experience, there are 12-20 students with a teacher and an aid. I really feel for you, because working alone with children that age is a real challenge. I'm glad you came here for support!

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 31, 2003

The reason I don't have an aid is because I have a very, very samll class. I only have about 10 kids. Thanks!

18. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Feb 1, 2003

I'm very surprised that you don't have any help in your classroom! That's awful, because as far as I understood, at least in my state, there are laws regarding the teacher to student ratio, especially in children as young as 3. I would try to get some help in there if I were you. Plus, I also agree with everyone else, I do believe that the card pulling system, while successful in elementary schools, is just not able to be understood by children so young. I would try the reverse angle on this and use positive reinforcement. Good luck.

19. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Feb 1, 2003

Maybe they can add one more student and then you should qualify for an aid! Lol!

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 3, 2003

I don't really agree that the card system is too hard for the little's to understand, I use it in my classroom, and they understand it fine and enjoy it and the same age groups also.

21. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Feb 4, 2003

The difficulty is not in the cards themselves, it's in the point system- preschoolers cannot all recognize numbers and add them.

22. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Feb 5, 2003

Hi, it's me again, the original poster and the card system, at leats in my classroom, it's working out great but if you don't think it's a greta idea, do you have any others???

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 10, 2003

Crying Time

Oh It's crying time again you're gonna leave us! I have a mat that is for crying and pouting. That is where they go if they want to cry and throw a fit. I call it the crying mat. Most kids don't want to go there so if it is mentioned they are more cooperative. It is just an accepted fact, that's what happens. It really works for my kids. This is not the same as the alone spot or the time out.