Crying on the second day

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Mrs.Giggles, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 16, 2013

YAY, I'm so happy to hear things are getting better!! It sounds like you had a huge breakthrough today! It also sounds like your coworkers and principal are very supportive, which is awesome. I hope things continue to improve. :)

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

So thrilled to read your update post, Mrs. Giggles!

It sounds as though there is a remarkable support system you have in your building and I'm so glad that they were there for you. It won't all be smooth sailing--it isn't for any of us, no matter how long we've been at it--but it sounds as though a corner has been turned.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

Giggles...stick with it! It's getting better! :love::love:

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 16, 2013

SO happy to hear there's an upswing. :)

When these days happen, I always PRAISE, praise, praise my students...they then want to top it the following day. :)

Keep up the wonderful work!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

I am so happy to read your latest post!! Of course there will be days like the previous 2, but hopefully there are more yesterdays during the year.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 16, 2013

One thing that worked WONDERS with my class was graphing their behavior. I've posted about this before, but it honestly was the ONE thing that I could always fall back on and it worked.

I would carry a clipboard or small notebook, and without making a big deal of it, every time I heard talking (the one behavior I chose to focus on), I would make a tally mark. At the end of a set period of time, we would graph the tally marks (bonus math!). Oh, and I didn't tell them what I was doing the first time, so the graph was off the charts. Instantly, they wanted to lower their graph. So we would set another time period, and try again. It seriously worked every time.

This was with 8th graders. However, I've seen this used with as young as first grade and they loved it. It especially worked for me when I posted the 8th grade graph, then did the same with 7th and 6th grades. 8th graders HATE being beat by 7th graders. I realize that isn't an option for you, but it might be worth a try.

(this is LtoJ, by the way)

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 16, 2013

Oh, and I should mention that you can graph ANYTHING. It doesn't have to be negative behaviors that you want to decrease. You can graph positive behaviors and see it grow. You can separate different times (in the hallway, during recess, at lunch, math class, etc) if you really want to get crazy. Of course, like anything-don't overdo it.

I can't say this enough-this is the ONE management technique I learned throughout my 7 years in the classroom that worked consistently with multiple age levels, worked instantly, and was easily managed. And, it doesn't single out 1 student, rather focusing on the group. Each student can contribute.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2013

Love it kjco! I'm definitely going to do this at the beginning of the year so we can track our improvement!

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 16, 2013

Absolutely LOVE this idea, kjco! I am going to remember this most certainly...thanks for sharing! :)

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 16, 2013

How did it go today, MissGiggles??

11. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 16, 2013

Today also went pretty well. There were times when students were talking, but this time when I said very quietly, "I'll just wait," they ALL got quiet. A few clips had to be moved, but it was a much better day. I'm using quite a few incentives right now, and my P said we could start to back off on some of those throughout the year, but for right now they are a must.

That's also a great idea with the graph. I think I may just steal that idea.

Going home today I almost cried because I realized that two days ago I entertained the thought of breaking a contract and this evening I could tell that my kiddos were already starting to grow on me. If you can't tell yet, I'm a crier! ;-)

I'm now off to enjoy a night of pizza and cheesy chick flicks because I deserve that (as we all do) :)

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

Sounds like a perfect plan for the night--particularly if you add an adult beverage and a bit of chocolate! :hugs:

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 16, 2013

I'm loving all the great news today!!

Sometimes it's your hardest groups that worm their way deepest into your heart. :)

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 16, 2013

Great news! :)

Something that has worked for me (although maybe not with 2nd graders):

"Boys and girls, I know that you have a need to talk. I get that. So...here's the deal. From 8:00 (our starting time) until 8:10, I'm going to let you socialize, catch up with what you did last night, etc. But at 8:10, I want silence. Fair enough?" It works REALLY well after a few weeks of us practicing and I think since they feel empowered, they understand that I'm working WITH them and not AT them or AGAINST them. :)

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 17, 2013

One thing that these kiddos need to know absolutely is that you care about them. I have some of the toughest kids on my campus. Do I have some challenges with them? Absolutely! However, I do not end my day pulling my hair out (as some other teachers have done), because they know that I love them and have their best interests at heart. It really helps that I have moved up two grades, and have taught many of my kiddos in the past, but even when I haven't, I make my caring explicitly clear. One thing I tell them (sometimes over and over):

"If I didn't care about you, I wouldn't care WHAT you do! It wouldn't bother me if you got hurt or if all you learned was curse words! That's why I (get mad/lower your conduct/insert consequence) when you (insert behavior)." I also make it very clear that it is the choices of the students that determine the consequences they enjoy/suffer (good or bad).

A structured environment, coupled with firm caring, is a wonder to many of my students. It is often the only safe place they have.

16. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 17, 2013

Thank you so much!

I really do need to try graphing some of their behaviors, positive and negative. They are definitely getting better and I know what helps is that they can now see that I mean business.

They are starting to know that I mean what I say. We started sending home nightly behavior calendars and the kids know that if they don't hand it in signed, they will walk with me at recess. I'm only out there for the last five minutes, so it's not as bad as it sounds. One little girl didn't bring hers back signed. She looked at me and said, "Yep. I'm going to walk with you at recess." She did.

I've also started on building those relationships which has helped quite a bit. Ted, "talk times" the last few days in my class have worked wonders. My P suggested this to me and then said we could possibly back off of them throughout the school year. They have a five minute talk time in the morning, and five minutes in the afternoon.

They truly are a great group of kids. Sure I have some stinkers, but those kids are still great. I don't believe I will EVER meet a second grader that's not great. I think I was just so shocked at how different my approach needed to be in this type of environment. I never believed it until now.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I'm so happy to hear this. :hugs: It truly sounds like you're in the place you were meant to be. I believe that things happen for a reason, and that specific kids are placed in our classes for a reason. You are really going to touch their lives this year! :)

18. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

That brings tears to my eyes! These kids need you, they need the consistency that you will provide for them. You can do this! As for venting, this is the place for it, come anytime - lots of great advice and tips.

19. Ms.Tina

Ms.Tina New Member

Aug 17, 2013

I'm so glad that things are better for you now. In my classroom, we also keep score. The students sit in groups of 4 and each group gets tally marks for good behavior. When a group is being too talkative or distracting the class, they get a point taken away. At the end of the week, the group with the most points wins and those kids get to pick a prize from the prize box :)
    I have found that this system is very helpful throughout the day. It's like a contest and everyone keeps their group motivated to be on their best behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.