Crying on the First Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissScrimmage, Aug 16, 2013.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2013

Students Crying on the First Day

What do you do with the rest of the class while to tend to the children crying at the beginning of the first day? Or do you leave the criers and start something with the whole class? I had 2 last year (both with parents present and trying to leave) and I found it really stressful so I am trying to prepared this year!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2013

When I taught first, I didn't have any criers...maybe because I was a sub in their K class. Could you have something engaging at their desk like a fun coloring sheet or unifix cubes.

I remember when my neighbor went to 1st, we didn't go in the classroom. gave us a hug at the door and in the classroom.

Did you have an open house already???

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2013

We don't do open house until 2 weeks after school starts. Our first day of school with kids is September 4th. For most it's their first time meeting and seeing me.

5. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 16, 2013

Wow MissScrimmage, you are taking me down memory lane with how the beginning of my year can possibly go. I'm going to do a couple of things.

1. Open house I'm going to take the students photos with their families and try to post them in a certain place in the classroom for students to view. So if they cry I can remind them of the picture and allow them to go look at it etc.
    2. I hold their hand and tell the parent to go ahead and leave. (parents I encourage them to tell them they love them, they will see them after school by bus car or etc and then leave.
    3. I let the student walk with me in the room for a while and try to engage them or find a quiet place to sit.
    4. After awhile it seems that the child quiets down and becomes engaged. In the past other students have went up to them and taken tissue, hugged them or told them they would be okay.

That's about all I have done. I hope it continues to work this year as well!

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

I hold their hand and tell parents and child everything will be okay and to say goodbye and quickly take them away. This happens at the front door not the classroom, but it could still work in the classroom.