Crying during transitions

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.stone 89, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Mrs.stone 89

Mrs.stone 89 New Member

Oct 14, 2016

Hello! I am a new preschool teacher, currently working on my CDA and I have a question. I have a three year old in my class who is shy and very sensitive. She is the second youngest in my class and I feel bad because all the other kids and even the teachers clearly think of her as a cry baby. She cries everyday when her mom drops her off and she cries towards the end of the day for her mom too, both are understandable since she just started about 3 weeks ago but she will also cry if she has to go to the bathroom instead of just saying she has to go. She really does cry for everything but what makes it harder is she does not communicate what is wrong she will just cry and not answer when you ask what's wrong she won't talk at all. The most you will get is a nod if you so happen to guess what upset her. She really is a sweet girl but I don't know how to make the arrival and departure time less stressful for her and how to get her to communicate her problems instead of just crying.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 14, 2016

I would ignore the crying if she doesn't tell you what she wants. We don't give our kids anything unless they use their words.

As for crying at arrival and departure, she'll eventually get used to it and stop crying

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 15, 2016

I teach 3-5 year olds and we always have a few younger ones that cry for a while. First I would think about her communication skills. Does she have any language deficits, either expressive or receptive, that make communicating challenging for her? You said she cries when she needs to go to the bathroom, so does she have the language skills to actually say "I need to go to the bathroom please". If not, then you need to start finding other ways for her to communicate more appropriately (like bringing you a picture of the bathroom when she needs to go).

If her language is age appropriate, then you're just dealing with a behavior. In my classroom I ask families to bring in a family picture and it goes on our family tree on the wall. At the beginning of the year, many of our younger students are able to hold their pictures until they are ready to let them go. For those that still cry after weeks and weeks, I'll create a social story to send home for the parents to read every night. I'll include pictures of the school, teachers, and students. It will say something like "When i go to school I will see Mrs.Smith. I can play in blocks or color a picture with my friends, etc...". I ask parents to read the story before coming to school every day, and make sure that parents are supportive of school at home (I.e. Not saying things like "I know school is scary but you have to go").

If all else fails, I would start using a timer. When she comes in the room she gets 5 minutes to cry and be sad in a quiet spot, then she has to join the class. Every few days I would give her less time and praise her like crazy when she stops crying. You also need to ensure that other children don't see her as a "cry baby" as you stated. Crying is age appropriate for a 3 year old and your job is to teach empathy to the other children. I usually say something like "oh yes, Ashley is sad this morning. I get sad when I have to stop playing with my favorite toy. Do you ever cry or get sad?" Then I have a special (mature) student a special friend and help play with them throughout the day. It's so important that she makes a connection to another student at school and starts to make friends, which will ultimately ease the transition.

Good luck!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 15, 2016

Could she have a buddy who can walk with her or hold her hand?

6. Mrs.stone 89

Mrs.stone 89 New Member

Oct 15, 2016

She is a very clever girl, she can speak very well . I have tried to hold her hand which sometimes calms her . I think the social story and pictures are a great idea! I will try that for sure! Thanks for all the advice !

7. learnpreschool

learnpreschool New Member

Nov 30, 2016

8. learnpreschool

learnpreschool New Member

Nov 30, 2016

Hello Mrs. stone! I would love to interview you and get your thoughts:

Hello! Our company is looking to invest in the preschool industry. One thing I have learned in my research to date is that great teachers are the biggest success factor when establishing a preschool. I am looking to interview preschool teachers about their value hierarchy when selecting a preschool to work for.

What are the most important things to you?

A great culture? Opportunities for advancement? Support to further your education? Ownership programs and opportunities?

Please reach out! I am looking forward to learning what's most important to you in the amazing early education field.