Cry Baby

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sakura, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Sakura

Sakura Rookie

Apr 11, 2014

Honestly, this whole week I have felt like crying. I feel like I am trying to teach but my problem is I am too nice. Students have had out their phones I got warned so now I make sure no one has it out during school hours period. That's fixed but I'm still having a hard time gaining respect. I want to cry every five minutes. I am worried because the school I work at might shut down and I will have no clue until the end of April. How do I get control? I need to do something and fast. I know I HAVE TO do a seating chart because they will not cut it out. Fifth grade bugs the heck out of me asking to go outside everyday!! How do I make sure they are learning for STAAR? Two months in and I suck as a teacher so bad. I want to be a awesome teacher and want my kids to succeed. I want to get past my probationary stage. It's just I feel depressed and wanna cry. Maybe I am only cut out for Wal-Mart:help:

:(:(

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2014

Hang in there, Sakura. The first year is so tough even under the best of conditions, and it sounds like you entered into a challenging situation. Make a seating chart today and enforce it starting Monday. The first kid to be disrespectful, enforce consequences. Do you have a behavior management plan? If not, you need one. Take a look at this website which I have found helpful for ideas: http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/

If you do have a plan, take time to reteach it on Monday, and then stick to it like glue. It's hard, and I am still struggling with this myself in some of my classes, but there are small steps you can take that will make a big difference.

Most importantly, remember to focus on the good things, even if they seem small -- I know in my case, I have a bad habit of focusing on the negative which can really bring you down. Make a habit of noting the few kids who are really trying, or even something funny one of them said even if they were driving you crazy at the time...Make note of any progress in yourself or your students and keep it in mind when you're feeling down!

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 11, 2014

I came in half-way for my first-year too and it was nightmare. I came home every night just completely drained, and I had nightmares about going back to school the next day. It DOES get better.

My tip is to just keep learning and reading as much as you can. What really helped me the most was to pursue classroom management books, websites, and video and learn the heck out of the profession and the way that other teachers do things. You should also find a teacher that you admire and ask to observe them once in a while and see if they're okay with you asking questions about your problems. Last year there was a teacher I visited frequently and she was amazingly awesome to let me just watch her, and ask her questions and comment about my struggles. It was nice to have someone to talk to even though she never directly offered advice, but just watching the way she worked influenced me so much.

Also try to work and be around positive teachers. I know sometimes I want to just spew negative thoughts some days, but being around these uber positive teachers made those feelings go away and helped me stay positive about teaching. (I'm actually very sad that one of the most positive left for another school last year though.)

5. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Apr 11, 2014

Your kids can't succeed until you succeed at managing them. The best lesson plans will go to waste when your students are not engaged.

6. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 11, 2014

This. We all need a day here or there to vent, but constant negativity will bring you down quick in teaching.

7. Sakura

Sakura Rookie

Apr 12, 2014

I am very lucky that I have excellent support and staff. I have a teacher with 35 years of experience come help me and I get along with the staff, especially the middle school staff great! I realized that I'm going to have to crack the whip and just make out assigned seating. I am real soft spoken so I need to learn to be louder. I will keep learning because I WANT to succeed and most of all my students to SUCCEED. Thanks for the advice:)

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 13, 2014

You say you need to be louder, but it's not about your voice. At all. It's about your actions. You must set boundaries and enforce them. You can do it without talking at all! It's actually better to be able to manage a classroom quietly than to be yelling!

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 13, 2014

Yes! I am very soft spoken - and I choose to I barely speak above a whisper all day. But with clear, consistent boundaries my students know where the line is and we have a very peaceful classroom environment most of the time.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 14, 2014

Same but my classroom is not always peaceful. My students sometimes complain that I speak too quietly when I'm getting attention, but when I barely whisper, "ladies and gentlemen may I have your attention please" in the rambunctious din of a science lab, I have silence in seconds and near everyone's eyes on me.