"Crushes" from students

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jenellebelle, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jenellebelle

jenellebelle New Member

Oct 16, 2007

I am 25, a certified teacher, and currently substitute teaching. My goal is to get a middle school position, so I enjoy taking middle school sub jobs. However, often students in my class will whistle while I'm teaching or blurt out "so-and-so liiiiiikes yoooou" or other silly things. I know it's probably just because I am young and have blonde hair, but it bothers me because they are disrupting the class and I don't know how to handle it. I usually ignore it or say "That's enough." Does anyone have any advice or "clever" ways of handling this? I dress very professionally and avoid joking around with the students so they don't see me as a "friend" instead of teacher. Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2007

I'm sure that you are right about the reasons why they are doing it. When they start, you have to stop it IMMEDIATELY!! Let them know that their behavior will NOT be tolerated and if it continues then you will give them detention/referral (whatever is done in the school as far as consequences). I'm sure you do already, but right now that's the only thing I can come up with. I haven't taken a middle school sub job yet, but would like to teach MS ELA next year.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 16, 2007

I think you handled it very well. Don't show any interest in them at all. Don't ever put yourself in the position where you are alone with one or two boys. Falsified stories have gotten many teachers in trouble.

5. mitten

mitten Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

I'm also 25 and blonde and I teach middle school. When I was subbing last year I had students do the same thing in the middle of class. Usually if I returned to that classroom they didn't do it again. It's just because you're new to them and all the kids seem to love young teachers. Definitely don't tolerate any whistling or goofiness about your looks. Give them a warning telling them that is inappropriate and tell them if they continue they will be removed from the classroom. When I was subbing I always just rolled with it and ignored the students and they stopped, but this year I have high schoolers that walk by my room every morning and whistle...my husband, who also teaches middle school told me I need to tell their principal they are doing this. He is right...it is not appropriate that they are doing this because I am now a permanent fixture (hopefully) in the district and it is disrespectful. However, my middle schoolers may have crushes, but I am none the wiser. They keep very quiet about it when they have to see me every day. Just know it is because you're a fresh face and having a new teacher for a day is exciting and they get a little carried away. Good luck and I hope you find a job soon. It's definitely tough right now.