Crushed...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Maithal, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

So, today is Saturday and I get a call from a director/prinipal of a charter school 1/2 hour from my house. I applied for a few positions in the district. He wanted to interview me for prek. However, I accepted a position as an intern subbing (guaranteed work everyday and medical benefits, no dental, but at least I get something) and professional development starts Monday (all day). Orientation on Tuesday 9-12.

Principal wanted to interview me Monday morning but I said I couldn't because of another commitment. Then Tuesday I said I was free after 12 and he said 12:30pm. I can't make it to the school by then because it takes 40 mins to get there from where I'll be. I told him I wouldn't get there in time. He finally said then stay with your other position. I think it's best or something like that.

I have taught before and really want to teach again (not intern), but that's all I was offered.

I almost called principal back to say I could meet at 12:30pm after all and that I'd tell my current job (as I didn't have to sign any contract) that I'd have to leave early Tuesday.

Part of me thinks I lost an opportunity, but then another part of me says this wasn't meant to be. Last year I heard on the news that the school had allegations against their old director because of some $ issues. Not sure whole story and then recently school wanted to move to the old public middle school in town, but sincen that was built on a landfill/dump they couldn't (hence why public middle school built new one).

I'm just tired of being either a.) passed up or b.) having people be so unaccomodating to even give me a chance.
    I want to teach again!

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Why did you say you were free after 12:00, but tell him you couldn't make it at 12:30?

4. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I said I was free after 12PM. That's what I meant.

5. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I think I'm confused like engmom...you said you were free after 12...doesn't that mean you would be available to meet at 12:30?

In any case, it probably wasn't meant to be, as you said...

6. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I wouldn't be able to get from where I am with the position I accepted currently to the interview by 12:30 assuming I leave right at 12. That's what I meant.

I didn't know what to say on the spur of the moment. I should've said I'm free after 12:30PM.

7. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I don't think you wanted the job. If you really wanted this position, you would have made time to get there for the interview...especially with the principal giving you an alternative time at 12:30. Around here if you can't make the first time they give you for interview, you're usually out of luck. You make it work if you want the job or otherwise you will lose out to candidates that will make the time to be there. It sounds like you have given up and just settled for the job you have already taken. If you really want to teach, maybe you could call the principal back and get an interview. Good luck.

8. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I think it was the fact that they had been on the news before that got me and also because I can't leave orientation with my current job (on the 2nd day).

Nobody can know how badly I want a teaching job.

9. Freebird

Freebird Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I'm surprised that the principal didn't say that 12:40 would be fine. It's only 10 minutes. :unsure:

Anyway, maybe this wasn't the right school for you. It's funny how sometimes things all work out in the end.

Good luck. I'm still looking, too.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2007

OK. You say you are tired of being passed up, BUT you were called and given an opportunity for an interview. So, you really weren't passed up. I don't think THEY were unaccomodating at all. I would have done everything to schedule that interview. Even if it meant going in a few hours later or what have you, to orientation. Afterall, you did say they told you to keep looking for a job.... so I would have told them you needed to be a little late.

Maithal, while I empathize with you on some accounts. I honestly don't understand what you expect. You have to be willing to stretch yourself at times. I know you worked hard as a TA... that's not what I mean. I mean, in terms of interviewing.

They don't have to accomodate YOU. YOU have to accomodate THEM

Good Luck

11. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 25, 2007

The bottom line here is that the admins. make the rules. They interview when they want. I think now is a really crazy and stressful time, so they probably do not have a lot of time to interview. I recently was hired after looking for a long time. They told me the time and date for the interview-no choice. I had to be there and that was that. I was lucky because my temp. job had just ended. But if it had not, I would have called out, no way would I have not taken an interview because there are 500 other people who would have. Of the 6 or 7 interviews I had, I think I was given a choice of time and day ONCE. All the others were pre-arranged and when they called, they told me to be there. :)

I can understand if you had a commitment and orientation most definitely is! Unfortunately, the Principal probably had the numbers of a lot of other people who could be there. It is the nature of this field-are you in a flooded market? If that is the case, they have so many people they can call.

I would move on and forget about it. If it happens again, see if you can absolutely try to make it-like I said, orientation is non-negotiable. But, if you can find a way, that is what you have to do.

GOOD LUCK!!

12. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks Freebird and Mincc! You both are truly are understanding! :) I have to get over it and move on. If it was meant to be NOTHING would let go of the opportunity to interview. I can't leave orientation early on my 2nd day of work. You totally get that! :) Thanks!

Everyone else thanks for giving me your 2 cents. Yeah they don't have accomodate me, but I can't lose out on a job I'm just starting b/c I have to go on an interview which isn't guaranteed. So, nobody knows my situation unless you've been there.

Guess it wasn't meant to be....

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2007

14. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Yeah I know that! I was unsure about a position that was far away. Who wouldn't be...even though it was in my state I'm someone who is very close to home and I can't change that. There's a reason for it to beyond what anyone else knows.

Turns out I didn't get anything this year, and NO I am not expecting hand holding. What I expect is an offer somewhere that is meant to be. I do want to teach K, but I have gone on interview for several pre-k special ed. and elementary positions this summer and after interviewing I felt that if it was meant to be it'd happen and I'd be fine teaching other grades. These positions obviously were not meant to be.

I'm lucky to have had been hired in previous teaching positions before. So, I haven't failed completely! I don't have to explain myself to anyone.

MissFrizzle and others, I am not trying to sound rude, but until you are fully in one's shoes one cannot totally sympathize with another in any given situation. Even if we are going through something similar. So, instead of ranting back and nforth let's use this board as a way to pick ourselves up not put each other down.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Why don't you call theprincipal back and tell him that you feel it best if you honor your contract this year since you are already committed and have started orientation but that yu will keep in touch about any possible openings for next year. That way he knows you weren't blowing him off...

16. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

That's a good idea! I should do that! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

17. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Your edited version makes more sense than the original. I've never had a principal or supt. who wouldn't work with me on interview times. They have always been very accomodating. Could there possibly have been something with your tone that gave him the impression you weren't interested, even though you were were? I know it is frustrating, but I always keep in mind that the ball is in their court. If I want the job, I am at their mercy, and I will do my best to accomodate them if I have to. Good luck on your job hunt!:)

18. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I figure there was a reason it wasn't meant to work out because if it was it would have. Sorry, things didn't make sense to you the first time Engmom.

19. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 25, 2007

I had an interview offer this week, but unfortunately was unable to make it on the day they were doing the interviews. They said sorry, maybe next time... So if they were in a time crunch, and only planning to do interviews during a certain time period, they may have had to say they couldn't accomodate your time needs...

20. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I have been on both ends. Usually they are in charge and even if they ask you "so how's weds at 12:00?" They don't really want your honest opinion of if you have a previous engagement. They want to know, sure i'll be there cuz i want this job. I'm not saying you should or you shouldn't have. The sub job is a guarantee and why would you screw that up in going to an interview that may not even give you a call back at all? I get that.

HOWEVER,

i've read another post of yours and it sounds to me like you REALLY want to teach. And what i'm surprised no one has addressed is, besides the fact that they liked whatever you submitted and called you, sweetie they called you on a SATURDAY. Ain't no way in the world, i'm NOT gonna work out a way to get to that interview. I hear you on missing the 2nd day of orientation and all, but i missed the first day of mine at a previous job because i was waiting for a job to call me-which turns out they didn't call until that weds so i ended up wasting time-but yea. I mean, i have to be honest, orientations really aren't that important. Well, not to me at least. I find they usually end up saying the same thing each day in different ways. And you're not missing the first, you're missing the second (or part of the second) so really you could make up something. You could tell them you have to go somewhere and leave at 11:30, you could pretend you got a phone call around 11:15 and say "i have a (insert emergency here) i have to tend to. We're adults and things happen. It's not like we're in school and you need a note to leave early. And if you did, you still would have had plenty of time over this weekend and on monday to get it together and prepare them for tues. So please excuse me when i say your excuse sounds a little foolish. IF you REALLY want to work, you'd try to get there. And it could have been the best interview ever. Then since you said you didn't sign your contract yet, you could easily have said you found something else if this charter school called you back. Trust me, everything on the news is not what it appears. The last charter school I worked at was always in the paper for good things yet they were HIGHLY unorganized. And the school before that, on the news for good stuff, they were very organized, but the methods-RIDICULOUS. Can we say lowest level of bloom's taxonomy? So, coming from someone who wishes they had something to bail on in prospects of another, I'd say what you did was stupid. No offense, not tryna start an internet war. And I see you have a tendency to defend yourself from everyone's post in reply to your story, but uuhhhh, that just wasn't a smart move. He didn't have to call you on a Saturday at all. He gave you ample time to figure it out. I'm a firm believer in my faith and I get what you mean by a job being "meant to be". Because I've had a couple of jobs that i was going to settle for (after interviewing) because nothing was coming up remotely promising for me. And each time I'd say well fine, i'll just take whatever so i can at least have a job, i couldn't get in touch with someone, they weren't there, just left, on a call, in a conference/meeting, school was closed early that day, i plain forgot. I mean, all kinds of things happened to me to tell me that the jobs i was going to go for "weren't meant to be." But it sounds like you want something to just appear and for it to be just perfect. No such thing, you gotta do a little shifting and moving sometimes for you to realize what's going on. Just because he wouldn't give you an extra 10 minutes didn't mean YOU couldn't leave your orientation (not even school) 10 or 15 or 20 mins early.

Note the story about the man who was drowning:

There was a man who was drowning and a boat came up to him with a raft and said "hey climb on, we're gonna help you." The man said "no thank you, i'm waiting for God to save me." So the boat went along. Next a yacht came by, threw out a raft and said "grab on, we're gonna help you to safety." Again, he said "no thank you, i'm waiting for God to save me." So the yacht kept on. The man continued to drown and after he died and went to heaven, he saw God. When he got over to God he said "hey, God! what happened? why am i dead? why did you let me drown? why didn't you come save me?" God looked at him and said "I did. I sent 2 angels to come rescue you."

MY point? Don't always be looking for the big highlighted obvious answer. Sometimes you have to put things together.

Ok, i'm done my rant. I'm prepared for the rebuttle.
    (and please pardon my ain't, but i'm getting a little flustered)

21. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Oh and to your response of the person that said something you didn't like and you replied "let's just use this as a place where we build each other up..."

You put your story out here and asked opinions. We're gonna offer them. You may not like them. You want your hand held the whole way. But that's life babycakes. And also, if we didn't care or didn't want you to work, we'd hold your hand and lie to you and say it'll get better. We're helping you so you won't repeat the same dumb mistake again. Sorry if you're sensitive. But you asked. We can't encourage you when you made the boo-boo. If it was just that nothing was coming your way and you needed lifting up, ok. Keep your head up. But you had an opportunity, and blew it? And you want us to pat you on the back? A lot of people on these boards are in far worse situations than you (myself included) and you've complained about distance, time and the possibility of God forbid moving. You sound like you just want a school to sprout up right across the street so you don't have to do anything. Do you know what people are going through out there? And you're looking for something to be handed to you? And it's people that don't have A THING BEING OFFERED? Wow...

22. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

I NEVER meant to cause controversy on here. I only put my situation to say that it is difficult when you can't get of things. First of all, I don't even know who my supervisor is. So, it's not like I can go to someone to tell them I need to leave early. Geez! Yes, you could've said I should've taken the interview and left early, but I have to report to someone (I'm the low women on the totem pole) and until I get another teacher job I have to do my best.

Sure, it was a mistake to not accomodate my schedule for an interview, but I'm not going to leave early and risk losing this job too.

So, those of you who don't have offers to interview, I'm sorry. I do believe things happen for a reason, even if we don't know what they are at the moment and I believe that. I guess I put my situation here because I thought others could relate. I guess not.

Think whatever you want to think about me and my situation, but I'm done ranting after this. It's sad that there was so much negative comments by my post....not everyone.

23. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I don't know about some of your orientations, but all of mine have been mandatory. I didn't have an option of just "not showing." I also don't see lying as a good remedy either. Yes, we have emergencies, but most people really want to know if it is a viable reason to be excused and most want to know why you have to go.
    I know looking for a job is hard. I've actually been offered employment and then been called back to have the offer withdrawn. THAT was crushing.
    There are a number of reasons I would not take a position. One major deterrent is distance. I live in a large city and if I chose a job on the other side of town I would be driving at least 1.5 hours each way. I have a life outside of teaching and can not neglect my circumstances at home. This would also put me a in a very bad mood and honestly, that wouldn't be fair to my students. Everyone on here has to remember that we all have unique needs and priorities. We also live in various areas where jobs are harder or easier to come by. Maithal has her reasons for not being able to make it at 12:30. She didn't turn down the job. The principal turned her down.

Maithal, I would suggest you being more persistent on the phone. If you are in that circumstance again. Your response could be something like, "I am sorry. I am busy from 9-12 and I don't think I would be able to make it to your school by 12:30. However, if you could give me another 15 minutes I am sure I could make it. I really do want to meet with you and would love to hear more about your program. So please let me know if there is any way we can make this meeting happen."
    Anyway, just my two cents. I hope everyone gets a job and enjoys the upcoming school year! :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  24. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks nicegirl! I really appreciate your kind reply to my post! It was quite bizzarre to get a call on a Saturday and have a split second to think of a response. Now I know how to handle this situation next time.

That's terrible you were offered a position and then they took it away from you. Now that's cruel, but again "everything happens for a reason."

I agree, orientation is mandatory, so it's not a regular work day that I can call out on. I would definitely call out of work in a heartbeat for any other interviews that come my way. Just not during orientation.

Thanks for saying I had my reasons for not being able to make it by 12:30pm.

I appreciate your comments and advice! Thanks for replying and your kind words.

25. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Wow! some of these posts do seem rather brutal. Maithal I am sorry about your situation, it must be rather frustrating especially given that waiting an extra 10minutes seems like it isn't much. I do understand though that yes, they are working to their own timeframe and sometimes it's just not possible for them to accomodate you. I think it did seem a bit confusing to me when you said that you were free after 12pm. I understand that 12pm is when you finish at your orientation but obviously since it's 40minutes drive from where you need to be you are not free to interview from that time. That said I know it is sooo hard when you are talking to a potential employer to think/act/speak clearly and on the spur of the moment you don't always say the 'right' thing. Don't feel too badly - if it was meant to be it would have happened and so long as you have learned something from this experience then it is just something you unfortunately need to let go. I do like the idea of calling back although i'd just say 'thank you for being invited to interview and sorry that this time I wasn't able to make it.' Let him also know that you'd be interested in further positions in the future and who knows what may happen. He may be willing to offer you another time for this position given that you called - he may have thought you were not interested and you calling showed him otherwise. At the very least it reminds him to think of you another time or rethink passing off a negative comment (based on some kind of misunderstanding perhaps) to another principal/supt/executive. Don't beat yourself up about it - when one door closes another will surely open.

26. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Hi Lajoers3 - your reply to this post was so nice! Thanks!

I agree, I should definitely call. I will do so tomorrow and leave a message saying thanks for calling to schedule an interview w/me and to say that I'm sorry things didn't work out, but please keep me in mind for any future openings as I would be very excited to work at your school.

What's meant to be will work out. As you said "when one door closes another one opens." I agree! Thanks for reminding me about that!

Thanks for being so kind and going past the people who posted not so kind comments. I appreciate your kindness, understanding, and insight.

I have learned from this situation and now know what to say next time, but I also know that next time I'll know who my supervisor is and have an easier time calling out of work because it's not mandatory orientation time.

Guess this wasn't meant to be. Another door better open up soon enough! Let's hope so.

What do you teach Lajoer3 or are you job hunting too?

27. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Oh by the way I wouldn't take a job far away either and relocations isn't an option. My dh works here on the outskirts of the blue mountains and there is no way that i'd be willing to move elsewhere at the moment. Given where we are living I am willing to travel within about 30minutes from here (I would take something that was a 35minute drive so it doesn't have to be exactly). If I travelled further i'd be giving up time with my children and my husband that I am not willing to do. We do (just) manage to cope on one income though so our situation is not dire. Still, I do tend to get somewhat dissapointed if I don't get an interview or if I get an interview but don't land a job. I think it's absolutely natural.

28. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Yeah thanks for understanding Lajoer3!!! :) What are you certified in?

I'm pre-k to 3rd grade.

Please keep in touch! Feel free to PM me. I know all about the dissappoinments of job searching in our teaching world.

29. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I'm job hunting too at the moment. I had a position with a year 6 class back in February and lost it after 2 weeks because of classroom management issues (although this was a group of kids with a history of problems going back 3years). I was very sad about it but I know that something will come along.
    I interviewed on Friday for a position as a Kindergarten teacher. It is only temporary for four weeks but the same school also has openings for the next school year (which starts at the end of January here). I was told that I should hear if I get the job (the temporary one) by tomorrow (it's Sunday here atm) or Tuesday so i'm playing the waiting game.

30. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I'm certified K-6 in mainstream and Special Education. I think we are posting at the same time because i'm responding one post behind you.

31. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Oh by the way, I did get a call on Thursday for Friday's interview. The secretary said they would like me come in 'today or tomorrow' (meaning Thurs or Fri) and because they did need to make a decision quickly and would need me to come in one of those two days they would try their best to work around me with specific times. I have never known a school to NOT have some leniency with interview times and they would wait til 6pm to interview a candidate that looked great on paper. That said, if they had lots of other potentials I can understand them not being as flexible. I still think it sucks.

32. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

Yeah tell me about it. I didn't know you lived in Australia. I hope you get the 4 week kindergarten position. I love kindergarten! The kids are so cute and full of energy then.

Keep me posted....

33. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Maithal...I think what threw you on this one was the phone call on a Saturday. You definitely weren't expecting a principal when you picked up your phone! Live and learn. A perm sub job sounds great! Who knows what it may lead to..........

34. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2007

Maithal, don't just say keep me in mind for future openings.....tell them you would like to interview for this one. Tell him you will take the 12:30. I was in a similar postition once, I needed to leave a mandatory meeting 10 mins early, you know what, no one had a problem with that, I just slipped out that back quietly and no one said a word to me. Geez ITS TEN MINUTES! Take the dang interview, apologize to him that you thought it wouldn't work, tell him you have made a way because you want to work there so bad. USE THOSE EXACT WORDS.

YOu can salvage this job interview, but only if you really want it. No more excuses about not getting it just right. This could be a pivitoal moment in your life, do you reach out and grab the opportunity offiered, or do you sit and cry it wasn't the perfect one?

I left my LTS job early, to interveiw for my full time job. I talked to my co-teacher (in the same room) and my principal, and being alternative ed they had no problem. I LEFT IN THE END OF CLASS WITH STUDENTS. You only want to leave an orientation. Trust me, you can get ten minutes. You don't even have to tell them its a job interivew, say its a doc appoitment you made months ago an cannot change.

It is time to stand up and fight for what you want instead of saying it wasn't meant to be.........

The question is, what are you going to do about it???

35. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

You don't know me, and you can't judge me by things I've said just on here. I am not trying to defend myself. I'm trying to say that there is a position out there for me, I've had them before.

I've driven 45 mins for a part time pre-k spec ed position which was 1 year contract only and I'd do it again, if I got it and it was meant for me. I worked with a principal who told me "just deal" when my brother was in the hospital for over a month. Sure everyone has their doubts about positions, who wouldn't?

I'm not holding out for that kindergarten position, I know in my heart that whatever happens it will be for the best. If I was offered a teaching position this year, would I have taken it, YES!

So, say all you want, but I KNOW that I have to do what was best for me. This charter school had a track record for not so good (I looked up various articles) so I wasn't about to throw myself at an opportunity to interview at a not so good place. Plus, I don't know who to tell that I'm leaving early. I would've made more effort had it been at a place that wasn't on the news so much for all this negative stuff.

I'm done, talking about this. Think what you want, say what you want, but I know that things happen for a reason, and I'm not going to let anyone else put me down.

36. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

And we all know to beleive everything we read in the newspaper

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

Then why are we expending all this energy on a job you didn't want in the first place?

38. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

I didn't learn this until after I applied. I was researching about the school and found this out.

39. beff1102

beff1102 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I just read through ALL the posts...I think in the future I'll be careful what I post in fear of being attacked. I also read another post on here that got removed because it got nasty. And by nasty I mean people putting others down for their actions. Do you really think by negatively VERY NEGATIVELY commenting to Maithal that she will so "oh yeah...I do suck at life and next time I'll try harder." You could have given the exact same criticism in a positive way. Real adults now how to do that.

I am a fifth grade teacher and I expect more from my fifth graders than some of you have displayed on here. I bet Maithal is very eager to post on here again. Some people have said they love this site because of the sense of friendship and family they feel they feel with other educators. Shame on you for treating someone like this knowing it will only bring them negative feelings.

40. beff1102

beff1102 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Oh and by the way...I was an educator searching for a job and my intial thought was "why did she do that?". The difference is I would have presented myself differently than some of you chose to do.

41. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

beff,

My apologies. There's a history here much longer than this thread.

But in rereading my post, I can see how I might come across to someone unaware of the original poster's history. I'm deleting that post. I still stand by the ideas I presented, but could have been much more tactful than I was this morning. For that I apologize to you Maithal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.