Crunch Time...Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach57, Aug 15, 2007.

1. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Thank you to those of you who responded to my other post. Your words are very encouraging!

Now it is crunch time! I want a teaching job for this school year. So I'm planning a "visit a bunch of schools" day on Friday. I need some advice, especially from those who have done this, what do you think I should bring with me when I go to schools? I'm going to go to a bunch of schools in a district where they don't post openings, but they are a big district and just have to have openings.

I'm thinking of bringing the following: letter of interest/resume, hard copy of my portfolio, cd portfolios to leave behind with resume & documents, I was also thinking of a brochure of why they should hire me and possibly bringing with a book I made with pictures from my recent 4th grade teaching experience.

Also what should I wear?? I'm so nervous to do this, but I need to make the last big charge to get a job!

Thanks for the advice!!

3. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I think all you need to bring with you is your resume and cover letter. I'd save the portfolios and things for the interview itself.

I didn't end up walking into any schools, but I did walk into human resources. I went very casually (no suit, just a casual outfit I would teach in) and I actually had my kids with me. I was able to speak with the Superintendent's secretary and she told me all of the positions that were available that I was qualified for. Then an hour or so later the school called me for an iterview.

If I were to visit schools themselves I'd dress up much more though!

4. Honey1021

Honey1021 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I would put your reference letters in each, then one lesson plan. I would go with either reading, math or one that focuses on social skills or communication on the lesson plan b/c that seems to be more district's concerns right now.

5. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Hello. I actually went and visited the human resource people (not the actual schools), and I e-mailed ahead of time to ask if it as okay. I know some schools don't want people to just drop in, but then again some are fine with it.

I wore an interview suit because every single HR person I talked to set me up with an interview for that day (granted this was in NC where they need teachers). I found that a lot of the interviews I was set up on weren't even posted yet so I lucked out. Anyway so I dressed for an interview and I brought a packet of info with me. I had my resume, letters of recommendation, copy of my transcripts, copy of teaching certificate, and test scores. I don't think it would hurt to bring lesson samples or something to make you stand out. Also, the cd portfolio is a good idea. Good luck!

6. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Thank you for all the advice. I've got my bag packed and today's the day I'm going out to find myself a job. I've got a list of a dozen school I'm going to try to get to this morning. I hope something comes from this. I'm so nervous right now!! Well...here I go! I'll let you all know how it goes.

7. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Good luck to you! Being aggressive is exactly what got me the interview that led to my offer :) I'm sure you will impress them big time! Don't forget to hit the Administration buildings too.

8. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Well...I'm back from a not very eventful morning visiting schools. :( I met with only 3 principals out of the 7 schools that I could actually get into. The other schools were totally closed (including the offices) for cleaning. Two of the principals I actually met with said they were still looking at candidates and they recalled seeing my name on their list. One also remembered seeing me in person before. The other one said he didn't have any positions open, but remembered hearing my name as well. Hopefully remembering my name is a good thing. :confused:

I was hoping to land an interview today, but no such luck. I have a few follow up calls I'm going to do, but past that I don't know what else to do. Two weeks until school starts and it's really looking like I'm going to be subbing. I'm going to keep crossing my fingers and praying that something happens and soon! Thanks you for reading my ranting.

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Hang in there! I would say that WAS an eventful morning. You met face to face with 3 principals, some of whom are still looking for candidates. You may be getting a call in a few days. A lot of people resign the two weeks before school starts so this might have been the perfect time to go visiting.

10. Mere17

Mere17 New Member

Aug 17, 2007

wow three principals is great! when i did that same thing earlier this week all i met was unpleasant secretaries who made me cry....and my family and friends keep telling me that i will get a job and it will be just where i'm supposed to be, but it just sucks to go on trips like that where no one cares...grr so i know your frustration, but i'm guessing you will get a call from at least one of them! i did and i'm off to an interview today....hang in there! even though its hard-i'm right there with ya!

11. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Thanks for the support. I'm now playing the waiting game. Hopefully I'll get a call on Monday. Cross my fingers!

12. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Teach57...are you going to follow up with them? On Monday or Tuesday I'd send them an e-mail thanking them for their time and letting them know what a pleasure it was to meet them, and how you would love a chance to interview for any openings

13. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

Well...here I go with some follow up calls. I'm nervous about making these calls and I have a list of eight schools I want to call. I just hope something comes from this! Wish me luck.

14. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

So much for getting a hold of anyone this morning. Every principal I called was in a meeting...some together. I left a bunch of messages, but I have a feeling I'm not going to get calls back. Or if I do, they will be "sorry we don't have anymore open positions."

I'm just feeling completely down. Everyone else around me is getting a job, but not me. I had my own classroom last year and with I lost it due to budgeting. Now it seems as though I'm back to subbing, which probably wouldn't start for at least 3 weeks considering school doesn't start for 2. My summer job just ended and I can't live without a pay check that long. :( I just don't know what more I could do. :sorry: Sorry all for my venting here. I'm just down on my luck.

15. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

It's still not over, teach57...do not give up! Have you contacted private schools in the area? Have you applied for long term sub positions at all?

16. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I've applied for some long-term positions, with no response yet. As for private schools, I'm not sure how to find information about them around here. I'm still semi-new to the area and don't know all the schools around here, except for the public ones. I think I'll start asking around and expand my search to encompass those as well. I guess it doesn't hurt.

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to visit a school that just had a posting today. I called the school to get more information on the position. The secretary was super nice and took down my name. She also told me that the principal has two people in mind for the position that taught at the school last year. Because of this my chances are pretty low, but I still think I'm going to pop in and give them a run for their money. Does hurt, right?

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2007

Whoa!!! There's a whole segment of the job population that you haven't tried yet?? Let's get you started:

Start here: http://www.privateschoolsreport.com/county.html

Do you know what Catholic diocese you're in? If not, call the local Catholic churcn and ask. Then google Diocese of ___ and hit their education key, or google Catholic schools in the Diocese of ___.

Next google "Private schools near ____"

But do it today :)

18. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

WOW! Thanks Aliceacc! I didn't realize how many private schools are around here. You just gave me some more fuel for my search. Hopefully I'll find something here!

19. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

Good luck, teach57! Around here it was super easy to apply for the Catholic schools...they just needed my resume and letter of interest to be eligible for interviews.