Cruddy day.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Sep 1, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Sep 1, 2015

Hey, all. I'm feeling so down. I started at a new school this year, and I'm just not loving it. I LOVE my class, but I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the work atmosphere. Here is my list of cruddy events in order:

--Was randomly bombarded by my team leader during planning about how my writing lessons weren't integrating the other subjects enough and weren't academic enough (we share plans here, so what I plan everyone uses). We just started doing the writing lessons so I tried to explain that I was trying to get them comfortable with structuring their writing, and then start to integrate the content, which I plan to start next week. I said that I wanted to give them TIME to acclimate to longer writing pieces. I was then cut off with, "Well we don't have time for that....blah, blah, blah.....we need to stop doing junk and everything needs to be purposeful."

I didn't think my lessons were junk. I just wanted them to be comfortable with formatting their writing and wanted to do it with a simple subject to begin.:confused:

--My team had talked about sending a paper home to allow students to re-do it for extra credit because scores were low. We discussed (twice) about how it needed to go home today. Team leader then said she wanted to type up a letter explaining what it was.

This afternoon, no letter, so I went ahead and sent it home with the kids and gave them instructions. I also sent home an email to parents explaining it. Would you believe later I was accusingly questioned for sending it home?!?!?! That was the plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you wanted to wait until the next day so you could attach a letter, than you should have said something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Two of my kids missed the bus during dismissal because they didn't hear it being called. I will admit that my room was more chaotic today during dismissal than usual because I got them packing up late. I received a hate email from my P (well, he was actually very nice, but I know that it still has an underlying message of , "You screwed up, and don't let it happen again.")

I am a major people pleaser so knowing that I let that happen and my P is aware just sucks. It was the cherry on top of a perfect day in upper elementary.

:(:(:(

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 1, 2015

Sorry, that's lame!

I hate planning with a team for the exact reason you described. What works for you is not always what works for someone else. I have been there, done that, and am a much better teacher when I get to plan my own lessons and don't have to write them to be shared with anyone.

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 1, 2015

I sympathize.....particularly with the selected portion of your post. I had a principal that wanted me to just give writing prompts to classes that couldn't even construct a proper sentence. She couldn't understand that hitting a class' frustration level would assist in fueling the fights we already had a problem with. She wanted to be trendy, cutting-edge, and use methods that were way beyond what our kids could do constructively (and similar to your situation, characterized the lessons as "busy work").

Anyway, I sense your not in a situation where violence is a concern, but rather the comfort and transition level of your students. My assessment is also that your team leader - like so many in education - want to sacrifice actual education in favor of symbolism over substance.

I'd say you've made your objections known to this person's approach and reluctantly suggest just giving him/her what they want in the lessons. If the students struggle, remind this team leader what your original approach was and that it was cast aside.

I'm in your corner on this one, but if you want to take one "cruddy" thing off of your "cruddy day" list, just follow their game plan.
    :thumb:

5. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Sep 1, 2015

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!!!!!

I just want to do well and between screwing up at work and my team leader thinking I'm not doing my part, I just feel down.:(

6. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Sep 1, 2015

I do plan on changing my planning style to fit the needs of my group. I want to get rid of all the things I can off of that list!

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 1, 2015

Don't let it get to you. I'm also dealing with some annoying behavior from certain people in power in my school as well.

That's all it is. Annoying. I'm not going to let it take up another second of my thoughts otherwise.

Take and use criticism that has value and stand your ground on things that count or are just meaningless whining from others.

We all make embarrassing mistakes. Just forget about it and swear to do better next time. Don't let the adult whining get to you.