Crowd control

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by luv2teach89, Oct 8, 2007.

1. luv2teach89

luv2teach89 New Member

Oct 8, 2007

I work in a preschool and we have a short morning circle in which we do attendance, songs and a short discussion of the days activies. There are 38 children in our three day class and we are having trouble with getting them to listen. There are 3 teachers and an aid in the room. We are also going to ask the director, who is also one of the teachers to start joining us, as she has not been involved so far. There are definitely some that shouldn't be sitting near each other and we are trying to think of ways to approach this without singling out specifc children unless we need to. We are thinking about giving them a color card and letting them sit near that color posted on the wall. We are also thinking of having an object of some sort that the person who is talking can hold.. that way they should know that if they are not holding it, they should listen. We do move around in the circle and they are not always sitting and listening but are participating in songs and fingerplays and other short games/activities. Any suggestions to promote listening would be appreciated. :thanks::help:

3. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

I can't believe you have 38 in one class...I don't care how many teachers there are!! In my opinion, that is too many children at one time!

You have enough teachers, why not split them into two classes? Do you not have another room available?

If you are stuck with the one room, how big is your room? Would it be possible to divide the kids into two groups for circle time? I could not imagine trying to do circle time with 38 kids!! WOW!! My room has a maxium of 18 kids...and sometimes that is challenging to get them all listening in circle.

I didn't mean for this to be so negative, sorry. If I think of any other ideas (besides the splitting them into two classes or groups) I will let you know.

4. downbythebay

downbythebay New Member

Oct 8, 2007

Do you have slippers for the kids to wear in the classroom? We arrange their slippers in a circle around the rug, and then they put their slippers on and sit right in that spot. This lets us arrange them so certain ones are not next to each other. Of course, this only works if you have slippers, and your circle time is first thing in the morning. Maybe there is another type of system like this though, where they know to look for a certain thing and sit in that spot? Maybe something with a picture and their name, and then they could work on name recognition at the same time. Just a few ideas. I hope you work it all out!

5. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

38?! phew....thats nuts!

6. Lisaann

Lisaann New Member

Oct 9, 2007

I use name tags, for name recognition, in circle. It also helps prevent kids from sitting next to kids who might get them in trouble. If for some reason I forget to put down the tags, once we get into circle I always say...look left, look right, are you sitting next to someone who might cause you to fool around or talk? If so let's make a better choice...most of the time they do get up and move.

38 kids is insane!!!!

I also have a "magic" wand, only the person holding it is allowed to talk, if someone else talks out of turn they don't get a chance to use the "magic" wand.

7. luv2teach89

luv2teach89 New Member

Oct 9, 2007

Sorry, I didn't mean in one class!! We have a morning circle in the morning to take attendance and talk about the day a little, then we split into groups. Each of us only has 8-10 kids in our own classroom. It would be horrible if we were all in that room all day!! It is hard enough to get attendance done and get them to listen long enough to do our morning song and call them into their early groups! We actually tried the color matching for parts of the room and the "my turn" mouse today and it worked well, but the larger group comes tomorrow. We will see what happens! Thanks for your input.