Crossing my fingers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Julie9789, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Sep 12, 2010

So after a summer of many applications within 4 states, 25 counties, and specific email packets sent to over 30 schools, I settled for a Pre-K paid assistant job. I know the principal and he's been very supportive. I ran into his wife last week and she asked me how the job was going, I told her a little about how different it is from my internship (demographics). The next day, the P comes to the Pre-K room as I'm assessing the students on their colors (while practicing my spanish skills yay!) and he says to stop by at the end of the day before I leave. I go there and he closes the door and a million thoughts are racing though my head -- did I say too much to his wife? did I breech privacy laws? (even though I didn't use names) was he going to replace me? And then he goes "I never thought I'd ever be in this situation" and I'm like here it comes...having to fire a family friend.

A 4th grade teacher is leaving! She gave her 2 weeks notice that morning. I have a feeling she's retiring because she's leaving EVERYTHING in the classroom. That's the only logical reason, right? The only person that knows (as of Friday afternoon) is the teacher, the principal, and the financial secretary. The other 2 teachers don't know, and neither does the Pre-K teacher I'm currently working with.

I have an interview tomorrow on my lunch break, between the AM and PM classes. Schools are closed Tuesday for Primary Elections, and then Wednesday they want me to teach a reading lesson to the class.

I interned in 4th grade, the P has already called my supervisor and teacher from last year. Plus the P added (as he was talking to me) that "we could really use someone with a strong science background on the 4th grade team, but I'll explain more on that later." I already know what it is. 4th grade is when they start the science fair. I'll probably be asked to run it. Fortunately, my teacher last year ran it, so I have an idea of what to do.

Sorry I've rambled. I'm just so excited. My interviewing is quite awful, but I know the 4th grade, I know the curriculum (same county), I made a mini portfolio to go with my University one that has examples of lessons and study tools I created in each subject for the 4th grade.

I just needed to share because the only other people I've told is my mom and dad. No one knows - not my friends, my best friend, my brother, no one. It's been hard biting my tongue, but I need to wait. One not to jinx it and two not to let the word out.

So yes, I'm crossing my fingers...hopefully for the last time.

3. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

Crossing my fingers and my toes!!!! I know you will do great!

4. Michelle88702

Michelle88702 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

That is awesome! Good luck!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

Good luck in your interview today!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

Knock 'em dead!

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 13, 2010

See, you just needed to give it some time! Things always somehow fall into place. Good luck!

8. springmac

springmac Companion

Sep 13, 2010

Wow! That's pretty awesome. Good luck & keep us posted. Fingers crossed here!

9. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

Good luck! Start thinking of the reading lesson you want to do (and maybe make it a reading lesson that incorporates science!!)

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2010

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

Keep us posted!!

12. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Sep 13, 2010

I don't know you, but I'm excited for you! I hope you get it :)

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2010

I hope things work out for you.

14. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Sep 13, 2010

Thanks everyone! The interview went well. Of course, my teacher that I'm currently work with didn't know, so it threw her for a loop when I wasn't there when the PM kids arrived! I didn't feel right saying "uh can we put the interview on hold so I can help her get the kids in and then I'll be back" just as the P walked down and told her I'd be back soon lol. I was gone for an hour!

Anyways, it was good. I talked a lot and it was very conversational. Lots of feedback and discussion. I think I did fairly well having not had ANY interviews or interview practice since April! Yikes!

My lesson is now on Friday afternoon because the P has meetings on Wednesday. It is using the Houghton Mifflin story "Sky." The skill is story structure. Very basic. However, it is a low/low-average class.

I emailed my teacher from last year for suggestions and the other intern I worked with last year who had low students in reading.

I'm so nervous. That day I'm going to go from working with 4 year olds who need help choosing a center to play in, to 4th graders. Eek!

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2010

Best wishes to you and glad the interview went well.

16. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

So happy for you. Sounds very promising! I hope it goes well. Just be sure to do something fun with the story and ask the students lots of questions :) Im a pre-k teacher and love my aide. Sounds like you are a good one too, im sure you will be missed!

17. NikkiT

NikkiT Rookie

Sep 14, 2010

I just wanted to say good luck:)

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2010

Good luck from me, too! You sound like you are very qualified for this position and the P saw that! :)

19. Esther111

Esther111 Rookie

Sep 15, 2010

I will say a special prayer for you. I am confident you will get the position.

Quote:All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it!