Crossfit

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

So I've been whining enough about loosing weight. Every time I read a thread on here about it, I sit and nod my head and join in solidarity with all you ladies who have HAD IT. So now I will do something about it.

I began researching gyms/programs in the area. I've been a member of three gyms in the last four years and had two personal trainers. None of these have worked. The trainers were super nice, but we ended up chatting and I would do wimpy workouts that I hated. But I did them, because they were suppose to work. Yet they didn't last-it was great at first, but then I always ended up quitting, and I still can't fit into my pants.

There are several studios around my new school-one is a cardio place with spinning/abs/etc. The other is a martial arts studio that offers kickboxing. Both of these sounded great to me-I could walk over after school, get a workout in and take off. But... they were also exactly what I was doing at the other gyms-group classes-and eventually quitting.

Then Dh found a program called Crossfit-they have a studio in the small town where he works. This is perfect, as I have to pick him up every night anyhow. So I can leave school, workout and pick him up around 7. But... it's a bit scary. Instead of a normal trainer or group class, it combines both of them. You have a coach, and there is a group of people. They give you a super intense workout that you do for about 20 minutes, you feel like you want to throw up and then you're done. In my head, I'm like 'yeah, right'. I've ran for 1.5 hours before and not seen results. How can 20 minutes do ANYTHING.

Then I started to do research. Eeeek! The pictures are amazing. Granted, they probably only put the best pictures on the site. But I put dh in charge of the food part (either the Zone or the Paleo way of eating-we don't say 'diet' around here, as it's as lifestyle change, not a 'for the moment' thing). So I think that with the food component, this could be really do-able. I've decided to give it a chance.

I went in yesterday afternoon for my consultation, and the guy was GREAT at answering my questions. We all talked for about 1.5 hours on how it worked, why it worked, etc. He's the owner and the coach, so he has a lot invested. Then I had to do my first workout. It consisted of a 500m row, 40 squats, 30 sit-ups, 20 push-ups and 10 pull-ups. Timed. Usually you would do this three times in a row, but for the first time, it was just once. I wasn't nervous, but I wasn't expecting to do well, either. After all, there is a good reason I'm signing up for this. So he put on Brittany Spears by request, and I got going. When I finished, he told me my time-the number 2 time ever for women at that gym (6:38)!! I was only 10 seconds off the number 1 time, and it was because my arms totally gave out on the 10th pull-up, and I had to re-group. But that's the awesome thing about this gym-you do little mini-competitions each day at the workout, get your name up on a large board under that workout's name if you're in the top 5, and then you try again at the next workout (I'm all about small goals). So my new goal is to be in the top 3 of any workout I do.

Anyhow, there are tons of these places all over the US. I'd recommend looking into them. I'm going to go tomorrow evening for a free session, just to make sure it's going to work, and then I'll probably sign up. Dh has already signed up, so I can look forward to some serious muscles soon... ;) It's also great because you do things with the people you meet outside of the classes. Kayaking, hiking, bbq's-I love the social aspect of it. Less of a gym and more of a bonding between people in pain.

This is my goal workout-I want to be able to do this in a few months. Does anyone else do this program? The other great thing about it is that the workouts are consistent from studio to studio, so you can compare your times for the different workouts with other people. I guess there is a whole forum dedicated to people who want to swap times and give tips, and then you can post videos of you doing the routines.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2010

It kind of makes me think of Curves for Women.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2010

Just watched part of the video. I'm sorry but I can't imagine the weights would be good for your back they way they drop them. You might want to research this a little more.
    And when you do the squats you shouldn't go past a 60 degree angle.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 28, 2010

Jem, I have never heard of the program but it does sound very interesting. I currently attend an all women's gym and I love it. It sounds like you have found a program that will work for you. With commitment, you will be successful!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2010

Ok so now I am watching some of the other videos and they are doing the things correctly. So just make sure you listen to the coach and do things the way they say you are suppose to.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

I was worried about that as well, Jaime. I don't want to be so concerned about getting a fast time that I sacrifice form. I have a weak knee from a high school injury, and a weak back from Sprout book boxes, so that was really important to me. The coach said he watches everyone like a hawk. He had me try all the moves on my circuit before I actually did it for time, and he said my form was great on everything except for the squats-I didn't realize you had to face your feet out. And he also taught me a better way to do sit-ups that don't hurt your back, giving me option of a pad for my lower back.

Those weights in the movie are CRAZY-dh is constantly trying to figure out if they are really as heavy as they look.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2010

I am glad that he watches form. I say go for it. Then report back to use in two to three months and let us know how it is going.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

You have to find what works for you. I'm not a 'gym' kind of person. I walk daily (Skechers Shape Ups!) for 30-40 minutes at lunchtime, ride my recumbent bike at home nightly (30-60 minutes) and have changed the way I eat. I've lost more than 20 pounds since July (didn't really set out to lose that much- just wanted to 'firm up), have gone down a size in jeans/pants (to a size I haven't been in since maybe a short time in high school). I feel great, healthy and LOVE my new jeans!! Take your time in losing weight- you didn't gain your 5, 10, 15, however many pounds overnight. Quick loss plans and extreme claims from fitness centers may lead to short-term weight loss but do not generally lead to long-term health and fitness.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

You've got it-I'm going to take before pictures today!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

I'm in awe of people who have the self-discipline to work out on their own. When I come home at night, the last thing I want to do is a workout. My mom can walk when she gets up and then at night-I just can't do it. I really do need someone telling me what to do so I can just do it and go home. Your way is much, much cheaper, Czacza-wish I could be more like you!! I do love my shape-ups-I'm wearing them right now! They have done wonders for my calves, but I think I am not walking enough in them to make a difference in my butt (either that, or there's too much fat there to SEE the difference....).

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

Jem~it sounds like a great plan! I'm not a workout at home person either. As long as I go to the gym, I can really get stuff done, and it's easy to go to the gym before coming home.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2010

I wish we had a gym that was close. I did really well going to the gym when it was close enough to go before work.

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

I just found out about CrossFit while reading ways people were training for Warrior Dash, the closest CrossFit is like an hour away and I do love my gym....check out this website, I dont know if the Cali one is all filled up or how far it is from you, but I will be doing it in NY with about 10 friends and cant wait! www.warriordash.com

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

Oh, and Good Luck and CrossFit...I cant wait to hear udates!

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

PC-That looks awesome!! We're thinking we'll do this. Do you know how fast it fills up?

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

I don't know, I just found out about it like a month ago through FB and I saw that a couple of the locations that were coming up soon had added Sunday bc Saturday filled up.

NY is in September so I have a few months to build up arm strength to be able to climb over a 6 foot wall....all the other obstacles seem doable!