Crocs-- Do you wear 'em to school? Or do you think they're unprofessional?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 12, 2006.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 2, 2006

I am sure there is a Journey's kids at woodfield then maybe-- I thought last time I went it was gone though hmmm... I don't remember-- we don't really have many malls in the city-- they are all in the 'burbs---

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2006

I saw faux Crocs in the Christmas Tree Shop today. $4.99, still didn't buy them although my husband did say "I can't believe you don't own a pair of those for the garden....."

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 2, 2006

The Grown Up Mary Janes are now online-- the kids are comming soon...

4. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

I love them! My daughter had a pair and got me hooked. i have light blue, light pink, black, forest green and a closed toe beige. Wear them with pants or jeans and at times with skirts or jumpers if they match. I also wear them in the classroom and out of the classroom, but if it is an occasion that I need to dress up more (back to school night, parent conferences or open house) I will wear wear other shoes. I look at it this way, if I am on my feet all day withthe students, i can't afford to have my feet hurt. No, I don't wear them every day, but as the mood strikes.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 2, 2006

http://www.taylorshoes.com/maryjane.htm

okay I found the Kids Mary Jane here-- why on earth do they sell them elsewhere before their own website? Their website says the kids will be available in 11 colors and here it looks like only five but these look cuter than the grown up ones...

6. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 2, 2006

hmmm I would love to buy a pair of the mary janes in crocs, but I don't like the holes on top.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 3, 2006

I'm sure the holes not on top will be the next seasons shoe---

8. bierko

bierko Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

A science teacher at the school I go to wore them. They were dark blue. I thought it looked kinda funny with the black slacks&shirt&tie

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

I thought it was weird that they'd allow them to be sold by other retailers before they listed them on their own site, too. I have huge feet (size 10 womens!), so I can't do the kids versions, but I do have the mary janes in black, and I wore them last week. I like them!
    Kim

10. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

HI

I wear mine all the time- even duing the Winter. We are on our feet for 6 hours a day, why not be comfortable?

I have regular shoes that I bring in case of an important meeting or something- but for teaching and walking down the long halls (my school is huge) I need to be comfortable!

I have very bad peripheral neuropathy, and these are the only shoes I can wear all day.

Of course, I have dark brown- don't know that I'd wear the more wild colors to school.

Our school doesn't object to them at all.

Beware of the generic ones- they are AWFUL!

My problem is I can't find there here where I live :( My pair is getting old.

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 4, 2006

I went to Journey's yesterday to buy a pair of the primas. They don't carry them yet. The only ones they had in there were the summer stock. I ended up going to Macy's and buying a pair of Easyspirits. I must say those are exceptionally comfortable as well. They don't have a full heel on them, rather just a slight heel that comes up on the bottom of your foot. So it's not a clog, it's a....??? rofl, I don't know what to call it :p I tried the Naturalizer's, but they're a bit tight across the width.

I really do wish they had the primas out, so I could try them, sigh.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 4, 2006

I just heard back from Taylor shoes-- they are going to e-mail me when they have the kids one in chocolate-- I don't want to buy a color I already have and Fushia/Gold/Purple are not a color I want... I like the light blue but well they wouldn't match any but one skirt I have and my navy regular ones match that---

I may get the covered ones ofr winter but well we have a bit of a snow/water/freezing problem there. I wear my duck boots mostly then.. .

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

Our Journeys had the primas, but I really didn't like them on my huge feet. They showed a lot of toe cleavage...and that's not my style!
    Kim

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

Hmm. I might invest in a pair just to keep in the classroom. I don't know. I've been kind of shying away from them as much as I could, but I like the MJ version.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2006

I got them because someone mentioned that if I have problem feet, I should try them. I got black. Someone recently mentioned you can get glitzy plugs for those holes. Dunno about that. I didn't get the original crocs. I got "airwalks" at payless for $10 and they ARE comfty. I don't wear them without socks. My principal isn't going to say anything to me because she knows I've had to throw out most of my regular shoes recently. I do have some rockports too though. I like them. My crocs are black so wearing them with black slacks seems to blend in. I'm not too worried.

Do you guys remember the plastic 'jellies" shoes. Kinda reminds me of that phase.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2006

OK so now there's an offer on my email about getting free crocs for filling out a survey...anyone else get this?

17. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2006

Who is the email from?

18. hatima

hatima Devotee

Sep 7, 2006

I agree they don't look very comfy. I guess I'd have to try one on just to see. Has anyone tried Z-Coil. I tried a similar shoe and really liked it, but does Z-coil take stress off walking around a lot as much as the promoters say?

Has anyone found a pair of dress shoes that are comfortable. I find people respect me more when I dress up, than when I dress nice. But, dress shoes really hurt my feet so I hate wearing them.

19. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Sep 8, 2006

you can order them on-line from their website

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 8, 2006

Yeah and guess who e-mailed it to me? ----

but my feet are too small anyway for the sizes the survey offers...

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 8, 2006

I don't open emails I don't recognize the sender. They go right to the little trash can, even if they offer something free.

22. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 8, 2006

I knew the sender--- it was kind of ironic who it was-----with the subject matter of the thread and it wasn't anyone from here--- so I thought it was funny---

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2006

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 8, 2006

You have to activate a credit card for that one.

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 8, 2006

I tried to PM you but apparently you don't have that function---

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2006

No, I don't pm, sorry. I didn't do the survey -it's come back to me about 4 times now. I tend to not take up on those email offers..... now that I hear there's a credit card sign up requirement I'm REALLY glad I didn't pursue it.....

27. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 9, 2006

I didn't do the survey either---

28. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I haven't worn mine to school yet, but by golly I may this week on Friday. We get to wear jeans and I am tired of wearing tennis shoes on Fridays. Plus my crocs are bright yellow and they look good with jeans too.

29. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Sep 11, 2006

I just wore mine to school today... I LOVE them!!! I don't feel like I've been walking at ALL!!!

I've got my black ones for all my "normal" outfits and I'll be buying aqua and pink for my "other" outfits! :p

30. frypan03

frypan03 Guest

Jan 12, 2007

Love my Crocs ... and Jibbitz too!

I love my Crocs! Best shoes ever invented! I also love the Jibbitz - shoe charms for Crocs! The kids love them too! I found a great deal on Jibbitz on an online store... the more you buy, the cheaper they are! :wow: Jenny's Jewels

31. HaoleKumu

HaoleKumu New Member

Jan 12, 2007

You could definitely wear them in Hawaii and no one would care... i just moved out here and teach kindergarten - a 25 year old male - but I can wear shorts and polos or jeans and a casual button down shirt.. tennis shoes.. most anything.. I did wear sandals once because I forgot socks, but only one parent mentioned it as a joke. Females wear sandals all the time, so I guess that's the only difference... I love it out here, very laid back!!!

32. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2007

The last few days my kids have been wearing boots to school and I have noticed that some are bringing Crocs to wear while we are indoors. Looks cute.

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 12, 2007

I do, but I have special permission from my boss.

34. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

I just got blue ones. I don't think they are very cute but they are cozy and the kids loved them. They also have little things you can put on the shoes. I have letters and a soccer ball. I want flowers and some animals.

35. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 13, 2007

I have two pairs: dark and light blue. I took the straps off and switched them so the light blue has a dark blue strap, and the dark blue have a light blue strap. Very cute 2-tone. People always ask where I got the 2-tone crocs!

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 13, 2007

I wear the white canvas (Keds type) fairly often. I don't wear real tennis shoes unless it's a blue jean day and/or we are doing something that requires me to have them (outside science, etc).

37. LadyR

LadyR New Member

Jan 13, 2007

Crocs

I think they are VERY UGLY shoes! But you know what? This is my first year teaching and during my first three weeks of teaching I bruised four of my toenails extremely bad wearing regular shoes that looked professional and have so far lost 4 toenails and another one is about to go. I found the crocs and it has saved my feet a LOT! They may not look the best but when it comes to comfort and standing all day they are worth wearing as far as I'm concerned. Some of the other teachers wear them as well. A friend told me about the shoes and I can't thank her enough. I wear them everywhere I go now.

38. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 13, 2007

??? Your toenails fell off? I have never heard of this. If it's crocs or lost toenails, I'm with you all the way!

39. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 13, 2007

ummm... my avatar says it all :)

I'm a Crocs convert, I LOVE Crocs! They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I'm not into looking cute, I dress purely for comfort and Crocs are for me. I have 2 pairs of the winter Crocs without holes and 3 pairs of the beach Crocs with holes. I wore my winter Crocs with thick socks in Michigan during vacation and my feet were toasty warm- everybody thought I was nuts. I wear my Crocs to school 3-4 times a week and nobody has said anything yet. I have plantar fascitis (sp?) and will get a note from my podiatrist if I have to if the admin ever tells me I can't wear them. Crocs ROCK! :)

Here are some Crocs facts 4 U:
      • Crocs weigh only 6 oz!
      • They're bacteria and odor resistant because they're made from a special anti-microbial foam.
      • They're great to wear in airports because you can slip them on and off easily and they're comfortable to walk in (in case you're in a supersize airport)

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 13, 2007

I don't wear croc brand (off brand) but what I like about my pair is that they are wide thus keeping my feet from getting snug (which then pinches the nerves). Once I wore white socks with loafers. That tiny bit of extra snugness had my feet hurting for 3 days afterwards. It's also why I can wear tennis shoes. They provide a little support. I have 4 shoes total now (had to throw away my old ones) and tennis shoes and fake crocs are 2 of them.