Crocs-- Do you wear 'em to school? Or do you think they're unprofessional?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2006

For those of you who have bought them online...which is the best site to go to? No store around here sells anything except the Beach style and the Athens. I am looking for the Endeavor style.

2. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

Never bought them online but I'd imagine Zappos has them and they are really good! They always give you the free super shipping (you say standard and a day later they are like guess what? We decided to give you the super shipping! Supposedly returns are free shipping too.
    I'd imagine you can order online from crocs-- also online it will tell you the local stores that have them and maybe one will get them in for winter--who knows?

3. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 14, 2006

My Prima (flats/ballerina style) crocs came today! They seem comfy, but the real test is to wear them all day. Just slipping them on right now they feel good. I don't own any of the real crocs. But, just the little wearing around the house that I have done they feel just like any other normal pair of shoes! I'll keep yeah posted!

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

I saw a lady today in the courthouse wearing a pair with nylons and a black skirt. I thought it was ugly.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2006

Rosieo, you can use the crocs website itself, or Nordstrom's or Journey's. I think they'd all be pretty reputable. If I were you, I'd check to see if any of the sites have shipping specials, and choose the site that would be cheapest for you to use! And, here, since we have both Nordstrom's and Journeys, we'd have to pay tax if we used those sites, but not if we went directly to the crocs site.

I want the Mary Jane style. I tried them on in Journeys, and, even online, that's the only place I can find that carries them.
    Kim

6. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 15, 2006

the regular crocs or the ballerina ones?

7. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

sorry- it was the regular ones.

8. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 15, 2006

Whew..i thought the ballerina ones where cute and I was like maybe not after your comment! LOL

Thanks!

9. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 16, 2006

I have a knee injury that makes it difficult to wear dress shoes all day long when I am teaching. I wear my crocs all the time at school. They look better than my tennis shoes anyway. The only type of footwear that we are NOT allowed to wear are beach type flip flops. The rule is if you can fold it in half with one hand leave them at home.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

One of the boys in my class wears the crocs all the time. He is 5 and very active outside. He has fallen twice and cut his knee so I wonder if it's the shoes? He says they are very comfy and he looks very "cute" in them, but I am concerned about the safety on the playgrounds.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2006

We finally told my almost-5 year old that she couldn't wear his crocs to preschool/daycare for that exact reason - she was falling A LOT, and when she switched to her sneakers she was no longer falling. Crocs are great, but not for running around a playground!

12. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 16, 2006

This tread is reminding me of the opening to Mister Rodgers, you know the kid show............ where he takes off his dress shoes and puts on his sneakers.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2006

I generally don't wear sneakers to school either. The 'prima' crocs are the only ones I would remotely consider for school but I think they would get sweaty feeling....

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2006

I wouldn't think that crocs would even be comfortable on a playground (as a kid, I mean). They have holes, and the sand and mulch and dirt get in very easily. Maybe with socks...
    Kim

15. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Aug 16, 2006

hmm...I'm wondering if crocs would be beneficial to me...I had back surgery in october so have to be careful with my shoes. I can wear pretty much any shoe that i need b/c of this! Will def. have to try out a pair

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2006

I've never tried them on, but I just don't like the appearance. I probably will never get into them.

17. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 17, 2006

I imagined they had to be *OUTRAGOUSLY* comfortable based on how many people wear them and how ugly they are.

18. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 18, 2006

Yesterday was our 1st day of school. I wore dress shoes because I had dressed up...my feet, legs and back were killing me (to the point I could barely walk). Today is Friday and it is a dress down day. My blue 'airwalks' (Payless style) are on my feet and will remain there probably for the rest of the year. :)

19. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 18, 2006

I hate the fact that some people feel the need to be so rude about Crocs and who chooses to wear them and where. Personally, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between regular dress shoes or clogs with the ones I wear to work. I smirk at my colleagues who are in pain and I am bouncing all over the place from Day 1 on. I will never go back to normal dress shoes again.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2006

Who's rude? The original question was would you wear them to school or do you think they are unprofessional? I think most responses here have answered that question. As a matter of fact the original poster even mentioned that she thought they were ugly but comfortable. Go ahead, wear your clogs, crocs, sneakers, what have you. Different schools and different teachers have different ideas about what is professional dress. I personally wear heels A LOT and am not in pain at all- you might not choose to wear heels. So be it.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2006

I don't think you can be rude regarding a shoe. This is for opinions. Some people think they are ugly and some don't . Regardless, I don't think it will stop anyone from doing what they want anyway right?

... and the battle rages on:rolleyes:

22. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

Bah, someone coming in to observe me saw the Crocs. I can't wear those now even in the classroom. Does anyone else know of any other shoes that have a professional look to them but still cater to pain-prone feet? I have problems with the outsides of my feet and with my second toe, so I need a wide box with cushion on the balls of my feet.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 18, 2006

Get a letter from your doctor and wear your Crocs!! I wore mine all day at school today. It was spirit day today so we could wear jeans and I decided that since a lot of teachers wear sneakers that I could wear my Crocs.

24. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

Can I do that? Get a letter from my doctor and the school would let me wear them?

25. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2006

I don't see why not. When I had foot surgery I had a letter from my doctor saying I had to wear sneakers. If I knew about Crocs back then I would have had the doctor write up Crocs.

26. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 18, 2006

I bought a pair of Skechers - Biker / Sightsee at Rack Room Shoes. They were with the athletic shoes, but they look like ballerina flats with a little strap across the top of my foot. They are black and part leather and part mesh. They are pretty cute and VERY comfortable. If I can find them in brown I'm buying them. I've worn them with pants and gaucho's and they look like dress shoes but are comfy like tennis shoes. They are $51 on the Skechers website, and worth every penny.

27. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 19, 2006

I wore my 'croc' styled shoes yesterday and I was such a happy teacher! I am going to go to payless later today and see if they have anymore of the lace up ones...so I can wear them with skirts (khaki and denim).

I won't wear any other shoe to school again...guarenteed!!

28. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

That's what those things are called?!? I never knew the name for them. I always just called them the silly looking foam-like shoes. I, like Grammy, can't get myself to buy them. I think they are hideous. Today I saw a little boy wearing a pair of bright yellow ones...poor little guy.

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

NO GRAMMY! Stay strong!;)

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

I agree, no kidding. Just because someone says they are ugly doesn't mean it's rude. So what, people have different tastes. Isn't that what opinions are about? If someone is going to take offense to someone thinking a shoe is ugly, then they need to really get a grip and get over it.:D There are way more important things to get upset over. You can think something I like is ugly, I don't care. Aren't we grown ups? Carry on...:D

31. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2006

Jen several months ago I would have said the same thing if I saw that little boy wearing them. But I have really come to like them ALOT! Funny, either people love them or hate them! I must say though, they are the most comfortable things I have ever had on my feet. Cleaning them is so easy, just toss them in the dishwasher.

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

I don't doubt they are comfortable. I have a pair of sporty sandals that are foamish, but look nothing like those and they are soooo comfortable. I just don't think I could wear them in public. They look kind of weird with the holes in them and look like foam clogs. I don't know. I could wear them in the yard with the kids maybe, but probably couldn't bring myself to wear them anywhere else. Maybe I'm too self-conscious.:eek: :cool: I still have that poor little boy stuck in my head wearing the yellow ones. It didn't help his clothes totally didn't match either.:sorry: Not that it's really important, but the image of the boy is engrained in my head forever now with those silly yellow things on his feet, orange t-shirt, and blue shorts!;)

33. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2006

When I first got mine I was uncomfortable wearing them outside of my house but they "grew" on me. I have the chocolate color and because I am always on my boat I have a dark tan so they don't really stand out like the bright colors. Maybe next summer I'll get a crazy color...maybe one of the tye-die colors...maybe.

34. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 19, 2006

Mine make my feet happy. When my feet are happy, I am happy...when I am happy my kiddos have a happy teacher. So...I wear them for the children. :)

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2006

I don't wear shoes while I teach...I teach inside my home;).

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

Hmmm...do the shoes I choose to wear affect my abilities as a teacher?

37. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 20, 2006

Actually, my answer to that would be yes. Especially if the shoes I'm wearing are not comfortable...It's hard to teach when my feet hurt!!!

38. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2006

I wouldn't think so.

39. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 20, 2006

If you are in pain you are not at your best...so it most definitely affects your ability to give your students your all. Is it my job to be a stylish teacher or a fabulous teacher who can concentrate on her students??? When my feet hurt the only person I am thinking about is myself.

40. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2006

I like to think I'm both!!!!!;) :p