Crocs-- Do you wear 'em to school? Or do you think they're unprofessional?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 12, 2006.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

I'll admit at first I thought DARN THOSE ARE SOME UGLY shoes. The first time I tried 'em on I was like bleh-- ugly and not comfy. Then suddenly I got hooked. Other teachers/support staff were wearing them and I was like hey I'm on my feet all day long and I want to be comfy too. Birks don't work for me because we can't wear open toe (some people still do). So I started wearing them to school. I now have FOUR pairs. I see nurses/doctors/hospital workers wearing them at the train stations all the time. So do you wear them at school? Or do you find them to unprofessional? I wear them with long skirts and black pants and jeans on Friday. In winter I sometimes swap from my boots to my crocs but I worry my feet smell to bad :eek: :sorry: so I keep my boots on somedays.
    I have Navy, Black, Teal, and Red. I have my eyes on the middle blue, light blue, and pink--but I thought they had a different pink color and now I don't know what color pink I like. Oh and how easy is it that washing involves throwing them in the dishwasher! I don't think I'd wear them on a "dress up day" like open house/confrences..but otherwise 'bring 'em on till they say otherwise.

So how bout you?

Do you own them?

Do you wear them to school?

What colors do you own?

Do you wear the "conservative" colors to school and keep the "fun colors" for home?

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I wear my crocs but only in my classroom. I slide off my "dress" shoes and put my crocs on. When I leave my room I wear my other shoes.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

So you bring two pairs of shoes to work or you just leave a pair there? I used to leave a pair of clothes at school but then they got mice poop infested. Now I have to carry those back and forth everyday!

5. brookesimone

brookesimone Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I do the same thing, I have two pairs bright green and hot pink.
    I leave them at school in my bottom draw and the never ever leave the class room

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2006

I haven't actually worn my pair to school other than on an in-service day. I feel sort of frumpy when I wear them- just as I had felt when I had a pair of Birks way back in the day. So, I use them as a comfy no contact day shoe. My pair is light blue... I almost got purple last year.

7. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

i love my crocs and i wear them to school. teachers don't even notice because with black pants they look like normal black shoes. blend very well. i only have black but you have inspired me to branch out and try other colors. i love the light blue too. mabye those will have to be my next purchase. i live in a small college town and it is hard to find a size eight around here....i had been looking for black ones forever and i had to get them when i was in boulder in the spring visiting a friend because i could never find them here. guess i will have to start looking for other colors i want!
    i say wear them and be comfy!

8. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 12, 2006

I always leave a pair of black shoes in school...in my bottom desk drawer (sometimes you just need to change shoes!)

I wear crocs before and after school (i feel like its better then being barefoot under your desk!) but not when the kids are around...but i don't object to other people wearing them...even all day. i figure, whatever works.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2006

Can someone show me what they look like?

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

I teach Pre-K I figure if people who teach the upper grades wear them I can :)-- I am not sure they are accepted at all schools around here but so far I haven't gotten in trouble. I have only worn the adventerous colors during summer and on Friday (the teal ones). I just bought the red ones today. They have a "mary jane style" but I think those are too hideous for me to wear. They could grow on me the original ones sure did! I find Dr. Martens pretty comfy too and I have a few pairs of their "dressy kids" mary janes that I wear sometimes. We really only have to dress nice three days a week.

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2006

I have a pair, but I won't wear them to school. I think I would if I had one of the other styles that don't have the holes. I saw some that look like a ballerina flat. I might have to try to find those in my size. I don't think the "holey" croc would work in my school. The kids, however, wear them all the time -- even all winter (and it gets cold here)!

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 12, 2006

I have a pair of navy blue and a pair of tan, and I love them. I've worn them to school with long skirts that match, and when we do blue jean Fridays. They are a nice change from my Birks. Many teachers at my school have joined the "comfy shoe" brigade.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2006

I look at them and I just can't get myself to buy a pair. They really are ugly! However, I don't mind other people wearing them. ONe of the teachers wears a white and a black pair and she said they are sooooooo comfortable. That's pretty important.

15. tenndon

tenndon Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I bought my first pair of Crocs on Thursday and wore them for In-service on Friday. I am totally hooked! I had a major injury to my feet a few years ago and am not able to wear just any shoe. But these Crocs were awesome. After being on my feet all day I was still able to go to the grocery after work with my wife and go do other shopping. That never happens, even with my Rockports.
    I got black ones that are solid, no vent holes at all. They will look good with Khakis so I will wear them quite often. Am looking forward to getting another pair.

Blessings,
    Don

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2006

How much do they cost?

17. tenndon

tenndon Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

From $30 to $50 a pair and very well worth it!

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2006

Thanks! I think I will try a pair.

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

Kids used to be 24--but they made them the same price as the grown-ups now. I got my red ones on sale today for 24 I think... I am pretty sure they are on zappos so you can get them with free shipping. Just to warn you some of the shop owners I have spoken with have said their quality control is somewhat atrocious. So try to try on each pair you get because a 4 may be a 5 one day....

20. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

I personally think that they're ugly. They're kinda cute on little girls only because they're so small on little kids. Our students aren't even allowed to wear them, so I never would. I do wear Birkenstocks when it's casual Friday though.

21. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

I just ordered a pair of the ballerina flats they are called prima's. I don't have any of the regular crocs, but I have seen other teachers wearing them.

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2006

I bought a pair last month. I have not worn them outside of my school. Once the students come, I will just be wearing them in my classroom. They are ugly but very comfortable. They are cute on people with little feet -- not my size niners.

23. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I have a black pair that I wear to school on casual Fridays...I feel VERY casual in them but others teachers wear them also. Another teacher has the khaki color and wears them during the week. I think they look great with her capris.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2006

I have never worn crocs before. If I do purchase at any point and time, I'd buy red or black. Comfort would be the most important component in the decision to purchase the shoe.

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2006

I know the shoes are not suppose to smell, but do your feet begin to smell after wearing them, especially when you have barefeet?

26. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2006

Now these I think I could wear... I still think Crocs are too beachy for me.

27. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

I haven't noticed it. I just put my old pairs int he dishwasher the other day. They seemed to shrink a bit but then expanded again with wear. I have REALLY SMALL feet.

28. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 12, 2006

They don't look too comfotable. Can those of you who wear them to school actually "get away with it"?

29. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

I just bought a pair of Airwalks at Payless that are their version of Crocs. I like them even better. They are softer, more comfy, and seem to offer more arch support (important for me). I bought the tie-dyed version and will wear them. I have a gray pair of Crocs and may or may not wear them, they aren't as comfortable.

30. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 12, 2006

Well, up until now... I had NO idea what you called that footwear. (My former boss at the Great Lakes Naval Museum loved wearing them and I never knew what to call 'em.) So now I know!

Will I wear them in the future? Quite possibly. They do look nice, that's for sure!

31. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

Others were wearing them before I was. Tennis shoes are "illegal" except on Fridays but these passed last year. I hope they still do this year!

32. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 12, 2006

i hadnt seen the prima style until someone mentioned them earlier in this thread...so i just ordered a pair!

I cant wait for them to arrive!

33. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

I think those are realtively new-- at least the site says they are... I dunno I find those more ugly than the originals. Report on how ya like them when they arrive.

34. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2006

I have two pairs - pink and teal, and I've worn both to school. I teach PreK, so I'm allowed to be a little more casual than most of the teachers (we're on the floor alot, we paint and use clay, etc). I'm going to buy myself a pair of the ballerina style ones in the fall. I've only ever worn mine with capris, and no socks...so here's my question. Do you wear socks with yours? With pants or skirts, or both?
    Kim

35. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 13, 2006

Crocs look like the Birkenstock Clog for Professionals except the color choices. I dont own them as this house is a Birkenstock Home. I am NOT allowed to wear my birks. to work. I have been specifically told that the SANDALS are not allowed. They are orthopedic and cost ALOT more then crocs do. Still cant wear them to school for the 'open toe' thing.

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2006

I am always surprised to hear what some schools allow and some don't. I'm in Ohio (where it gets much colder than Florida!) and we have teachers who wear cheap flip flops and sandals almost year round. One school in our district tried to ban sandals for teachers and the principal got in big trouble. I don't wear flip flops ever to school and rarely sandals because my feet get too tired.

37. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 13, 2006

missy, missy, missy.... Get your feet into BIRKENSTOCKS! After one week of wearing them your feet have 'broken them in' and they are HEAVENLY!

38. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2006

Sounds like I need to go shoe shopping this week!! Of course I just spent $196. for 2 new pairs of running shoes for my college bound daughter, so maybe I will wait until next pay day! Thanks for the info.

39. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2006

Ruth, where do you get your Birkenstocks? I really would love to try a pair (my doc has reccomended them) but honestly, I can't afford the ones I've found. We can wear sandals at our school, and even have teachers wearing the plastic flip flops. If your doc wrote a note saying you were medically needing to wear them, would they cut you a break and let you? Just curious.

40. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

In the winter I sometimes wear them with socks depending on the precipitation factor outside. (With long pants) I also wear them with long skirts. I wear them with jeans on the weekends and with my black pants to work.

41. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

On the flip-flop issue supposedly it is "illegal" but it can't be maybe the word is greivanced. They can basicaly say it is illegal but you can't get in trouble legaly by the board for doing it. We all know how that goes though right....