crockpot apple sauce??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ABall, Oct 17, 2006.

1. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 17, 2006

I've seen the crockpot applesauce recipes here, but now I can't find any, can any of you share that again please. Is there a simple way to make apple cider?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 17, 2006

I love making the crockpot applesauce.

It's:
    10-15 apples (depending on the size) peeled, cored, and chopped
    1/2 - 3/4 cup of sugar (I use brown, and the amount depends on how sweet you want it)
    1/2 of water

Some add other ingredients like cinnamon, but it's up to you.
    Put all ingredients in crockpot on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8-9 hours. Stir occasionally. I serve hot and chunky, but you can mash and let cool if you prefer.

You don't want to add too much water because the apples will dejuice (sorry, can't think of the proper term) themselves when they cook. You can always add more water if you think necessary .

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 17, 2006

Thank you Miss W

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 17, 2006

You're welcome.

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Oct 17, 2006

Miss W, do you know about how many people that serves?

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 17, 2006

oh thats a good question................I don't have huge class rooms like you guys do 15 apples sounded like a lot.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 17, 2006

I don't make it the same way but that is because I love letting the kids use the foley food mill. And they love that it is pink!
    Instead of water use Apple Cider, I wouldn't use so much sugar. I tend to use only 1/8th of a cup. I also use 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 t nutmeg.
    I used about 12 apples and put it into serving cups. We had about 14 servings. But I used the whole apple not sure if that help make more or not.

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

Quick Apple Cider: Fill a crockpot 3/4 full of apple juice (I use Juicy Juice), then add about 5 cinnamon red hot candies and stir occasionally. Turn the crockpot on high until the candies are melted. Taste and see if it is cinnamon-y enough. If not, add a few more candies. Don't make the mistake of adding too many candies--they're small, but they pack a wallop! :eek:) Once the candies are melted and you have the taste you want, turn the crockpot on low...Yummy!!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2006

We use the Pampered Chef apple peeler corer slicer. One apple per kid plus a few extra for good measure. Let the kids crank the apples through the peeler/corer/slicer and then they chp up with plastic knife into smaller pieces. Dump into crock pot. Half a paper cup of water,maybe a bit more. Maybe a papercup full of sugar. Cinnamon- palmful....(I don't measure.....) Lid on crockpot, on high. If you start in morning it should be ready after lunch, let cool down and munch.

11. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

Miss W, is that 1/2 cup of water? Thank you!

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 18, 2006

Yes, it is a 1/2 cup of water. I put it in those small solo cups, and it makes a 25 servings.
    I also use the Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer. It's so fun to let the kids crank the handle.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 18, 2006

I use the core peeler slicers too.

14. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

I love making crockpot applesauce with my kids! I also give them plastic knives and let them chop away after I have peeled and cored the apples. We all just keep chopping until the crockpot is full. Then, we add a tiny bit of water, some white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and apple pie spice and let it cook for about 4 hours on high, mashing it occassionally with a potato smasher. It smells heavenly and tastes even better!! When I make it at home I sometimes run it through the blender at the end to get it nice and smooth.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 18, 2006

I personally like it chunky, so we don't mash ours. I started making it 2 years ago in class. I then decided last year it was a perfect fall/winter thing to take places.

16. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 18, 2006

Yum! such great ideas. I can't wait to try it.

17. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 19, 2006

Yum, my mouth is watering.