Critical Thinking Skills Test for Altern. Cert.

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by PreKyay, May 28, 2008.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

May 28, 2008

I am scheduled to take my "critical thinking appraisal" next Wed through my district's ESC. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for preparing for this. I've been told there is no way to study for it; it's mostly common sense info. I guess that's why I'm so nervous about it -- what if I bomb it? How embarrassing would that be?!? I'm already a little apprehensive about the telephone interview I had with them. It was mostly scenario-based questions and it felt like a telemarketing call. I don't think I came across as very personable, but then, neither did the interviewer. (no offense) But, I digress...

These are the preliminary steps to get into the alternative cert program.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2008

You might want to have a look at LearningExpress's book Reasoning Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day (at least, I think it's still out under that title, or the library may have it).

4. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 1, 2008

Thanks for the suggestion. I know that this is preliminary to getting into the program, and that it is a guide for the program to judge how well I will perform on content tests, pedogogy, etc. I am getting myself worked up over this, and I have got to calm down. I know that it is something that I really can't study for, but I want to be prepared and cool-headed.

Thanks, again.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 1, 2008

Hi There,

Do you think this is something like the Teacher Insight Test? Do you take it on the computer? I am sure you will do fine.

6. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 1, 2008

Actually, it's on-site at my region's Ed. Service Center. I am trying to get into the Teacher Prep Program for alternative certification. I have no idea if this is the same test. The ESC refers to it as a "Critical Thinking Appraisal." I am assuming it is a type of aptitude test, which will assess my reasoning and logic skills. This will be my first experience with any type of educator testing. I have my bachelor's in journalism and have not gone through any other teaching program.

Thanks for the reassuring words. If you can, would you give me some insight into the test you are referring to?

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 1, 2008

Sure. I too am in Texas and I went through Region 10 for my ACP. I had to take a test called a Teacher Insight Test in order to be admitted. It is not a test for which you study and it is also not a logic or critical thinking test. You "simply" answer on a Likert Scale of strongly disagree to strongly agree. Then in another portion, it is multiple choice. Your score is then compared to the scores of highly qualified master teachers from 40 years ago. I guess they give you a percentage score or somehow rank you and if you are in the top X percent you are considered teacher material. Many districts now use this test as part of their hiring process.

A sample question might be something like this:

Have you made telephone calls that others were afraid to make?
    A. not usually
    B. I can if I have to.
    C. It depends on the situation.
    D. Yes, I do that often.

On the test I took, it is looking for student centered teachers who have empathy.

Hope this helps. I don't see how a critical thinking test will help you pass the TEXES content test or PPR. That seems odd to me. But don't worry, you will make it in just fine.

8. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 1, 2008

Thanks for the insight, Lemonhead. Were you pleased with Region 10? I'm assuming most of the ESC's have the same protocols, but I don't know for sure. I'm in Region 11.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

I guess I was okay with them. The "help you find a job" piece was pretty much non existant. One of my instructors thought she was all that and was so annoying. One was fantastic. I learned a lot but I was disappointed that the assignments we had weren't graded. I just got my job, PreKyay, so I haven't done my first year yet. I will keep you posted on how that goes. I should be receiving paperwork from them sometime this summer to let me know what is expected the first year.

Also, my test was not at all the same as yours. I looked yours up and it is reasoning based.

Lemon

10. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 2, 2008

Lemonhead, you must have resources that I am not aware of. Where did you find the test, and do you have a specific name for it? I know I can't study for something like that, but it's nice to be prepared for what is ahead, ya know?

Good luck with your first year. I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

That sample question a few posts above was from my test. For your test I just searched "Critical Thinking Appraisal" + Teacher in google.

I determined that this is the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal.

I did find one site that had a sample question. Let me see if I can find it.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

I just copied and pasted all of this from a site

Example from the Watson-Glaser-Critical-Thinking-Apraisal - section on assumption identification:

"If you think the assumption is not necessarily taken for granted in the statement, blacken the space under "ASSUMPTION NOT MADE" -

"I'm travelling to South America. I want to be sure that I do not get typhoid fever, so I shall go my physician and get vaccinated against typhoid fever before I begin my trip".

Proposed Assumption: Typhoid fever is more common in South America than it is where I live.

MADE or NOT MADE?"

http://groups.msn.com/ThePhilosophy..._Message=198&LastModified=4675461770676706268

You can find more on the test at other places but I was looking for a sample question for you.

lemon

13. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 2, 2008

I Googled it as well. I think that's the one, too, but I just wasn't sure. Thanks for your help. It's nice to have back-up!

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 2, 2008

I think you're good. I really wouldn't worry about getting into your ACP program. You will be fine.

15. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Lemon, thanks for the encouragement. The test went fine this morning. They said I should receive my acceptance letter in about a week.

Thanks again for your interest and help!:)