Critical Thinking Severely Lacking

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by a2z, Jun 7, 2020.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2020

The difficulties over the past six months has shown: It has become undeniably clear, critical thinking is now dead.

Ha ha ha - for those who saw the typo in the title before I fixed it, we know my typing skills are severely lacking.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  3. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jun 7, 2020

Oh yes...we’ve known this for awhile...
    I keep having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to teach students critical thinking coming into high school, since I have 9th grade Earth Science as one of my subjects. If they don’t have the skill sets, I feel the content is useless. Rote memorization for recall on tests does nothing for them in life. But, critical thinking spans every subject and is integral to a functioning citizen and adult. I have listened to so many podcasts on this and attended trainings that stress the importance of critical thinking, but I still don’t know how to instill it in a student who could care less...who just wants to punch the clock into school, get their credit, and graduate.

4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Jun 7, 2020

The problem with critical thinking is that it often results in undesired results. Students question parents and teachers and come up with answers those teachers and parents don't like.

3Sons and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jun 7, 2020

Another truth! If we want them to think and be free to express ideas and opinions we better watch out! The old mode from the 50s was to mold a successful “yes sir” worker!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2020

Our Social Studies teacher and I tend to get debates going in my classroom on lively afternoons. Anyone with a careful eye has figured out that we are opposite ends of the spectrum on most matters, but we are both really good at rhetoric. We try to lead by example, and the results get hilarious.

Migod, I'm looking forward to this starting up in person again!

7. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jun 8, 2020

I noticed that too. I think it has to do with the instant gratification culture exacerbated by smart phones. Today, people can look anything up on their phones or with a "Hey Siri". It doesn't take much to find the answer to something, nowadays.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2020

Don't you mean an answer? There is a lot of misinformation, partial information, and biased information (of all kinds) out there.

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2020

Yup.

Do you have any idea how annoying it can be for a child to question everything, especially if they're good at it? It means they often won't listen to wisdom and reason gained from experience.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 23, 2020

This can be especially challenging with gifted kids. :) I have dealt w/ the same in the past. I will admit though a g/t kid caught me in an error though! lol

11. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Jun 24, 2020

Yes. Yes I do. And it's much worse when that wisdom of many years let's you down and those annoying kids turn out to be right after all. The world is always changing.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2020

Yes indeed. And my comment was truly meant to be double-edged -- yes, the kids are good at it and often ARE right. But being good at questioning doesn't *always* mean being right, and some are far more confident in their conclusions than they should be.

I'd also point that I separate wisdom from tradition.

My two older kids *love* to argue, to the point where their debates border on the ludicrous.

1) They had a three-week running argument on whether mini-cupcakes are a subcategory of cupcakes or a completely separate category of cake, since by definition a cupcake is a "small" cake, and a "very small" cake is therefore semantically different.
    2) Only one night at the dinner table, they had a discussion on whether Darth Maul's horns means he's a herbivore, or his sharp teeth mean he's a carnivore.
    3) My middle son asserted that psychology was a "useless" field that had never directly resulted in any positive change to society such as a change in laws, etc.

Next year my middle son is captain of the debate team at his school.

Tired Teacher, a2z and CaliforniaRPCV like this.