Critical Teacher Shortage Act?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TBaker, Sep 14, 2008.

1. TBaker

TBaker Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

Hi all -

I heard about this program, and am planning to do some research on it myself. I learned that it helps pay tuition for "career switchers" like myself, or anyone else getting into teaching. Have any of you used this program, and if so, what did you think about it? Thanks.

Tara

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 14, 2008

I used something similar but I believe it's for Illinois only, called "Future Teacher Corps." Basically it's a scholarship for folks that will teach in Illinois in either a hard-to-staff school (???) or an area that is short-staffed like special ed. They gave me 10k per semester. It ROCKED.

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 20, 2008

Most of the time these programs are geared to staff schools that have really tough students - some low economic areas, urban school districts, and the like.
    They generally require you to teach in the district for 3 years to "pay off" the loans that they have given you.
    Talk about trial by fire - new teachers put into the toughest classrooms around...

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 20, 2008

I read one book over the summer that mentioned a program like this in NYC and what one secretary went through her first year--- she made it but it was hell.

New teachers *period* should not be placed in the worst off schools. It's honestly too much for them--- I'm in a great school and it's too much for me (though I still love it).

If you plan on perhaps going into such a program, realize that it will not be easy, you might have 0 support from fellow teachers (honestly most teachers look down on people who have gone through this alternative program because we feel we've done the time by going through a teacher program at college, so should everybody else), and they probably won't teach you everything you need to know unlike if you went into a college program through an edu dept.

It can work--- but there are usually alot of flaws in them.

6. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 21, 2008

Hey, Bio. With the programs I am familiar with, the teachers are going thru the program they are just doing it at the same time as they are teaching.