Crisis Bag Activity

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by geiwee, Aug 30, 2009.

1. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I need to put together my classroom crisis bag. This is a bag we take during emergencies such as tornado, fire, etc. We are suppose to put an activity in there that we could do with our class if we are waiting a while. What is an activity I could have in a small bag, suitable for preschoolers? Most teachers do some sort of card game but I cannot think of something for preschool.

3. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

what about a favorite story book?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

Can you include a 64 pack of crayons and a few notebooks full of paper?

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2009

For all those long drills we go down to the football field so there is no good place for my kids to draw. Where do you go? We are in a building attached to the adult school so we are evacuated with the high schoolers. I put an old music and movement parachute in the bag. They sit on it to keep them in one area or we can hold it above them in the shade when it is brutally hot or cover them from the rain or we can play with it. I also take picture books but we usually just sing. Since we are in a wild fire area we practice quite a bit. The hardest part is getting there and back without being trampled by 2000 teenagers. When in doubt a bunch of the big kids know me so they volunteer to help entertain. In a real fire we are sheltered in place in the buildings because they were built not to burn but that is another long story.

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

My children huddle in a corner of the room during our lockdown drills. I love the idea of having a bag to grab, I might do that proactively this year to save myself stress! Last year during our drill I brought a few books and wiki sticks. I handed each child 2 wiki sticks and told them to use them to try making letters. If they got stuck I would whisper letters to them to try. They loved it, it kept them quiet and entertained.

7. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 31, 2009

I like the above ideas! One thing we do in my district are called lockdown lollipops. If we ever went into a lockdown, the lollipops are supposed to help keep kids quiet. I thought it was a cool idea so I wanted to share!

8. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

That's an interesting idea! Too bad my wellness policy forbids it.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 31, 2009

What about a beanie baby? My class had to toss the beanie baby to one other person in the circle (always the same person), without a single kid dropping it. It took us many, many tries to ever get it without dropping the beanie. They have to do it without talking, too, so it would be a very quiet activity.

Here's the video of us FINALLY getting it

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

How about something you can use as a hot potato? Maybe use Jem's beanie bag idea. Whoever is "It" turns his or her back on the group, then says "STOP"--whoever is caught is "It" next.

11. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

I keep a couple of puzzles, some paper and crayons, a book or two to read, a small box of tissues and a bottle of germ-x, some band-aids and a copy of my class roster.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 1, 2009

Not a particularly interesting activity, but one that my 3's and 4's LOVED (and is super easy...)... all you need are some letter or number cards (I made my own, but flash cards work fine)... give 1 or more to each kid (depending how many you have) and they work together (With your guidance as needed) to put them in order to do the whole alphabet or get all the numbers as high as they go. I'm not sure why this is so fascinating for them, but they love love love this "game."