Crime in your area?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by missjessica, Aug 9, 2011.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I live in a pretty safe neighborhood but due to the large amount of apartment complexes in the area there is some small crime every so often. Last night I woke up to a car alarm going off in the middle of the night, but just fell asleep after it turned off.
    This morning I left to go on my run and saw that the car parked next to mine was broken into. It feels a little weird seeing a window entirely smashed just 2 feet from your own car!:eek:hmy: I'm not too worried because the car that was broken into had a lot of stuff in it: an old computer, a stereo, a USB flash drive, etc. That person was almost asking for it!
    What I DON'T like is that the apartment manager did not call the police! She had her son clean up the broken window and then she called the guy who owns the car. I certainly hope he's smart enough to call the police.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Was it the owner's car alarm that was going off? Why did he not hear it and go investigate?

Crazy. I'm glad your stuff was safe.

4. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

No, it was one of the tenant's car alarm. I guess they didn't hear it. The woman above me didn't hear it either. It was in the middle of the night.
    Yesterday I found out that FOUR other cars were broken into at the same time. It most likely was the same group of people. Shows that you can't keep stuff in your car!

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

My neighborhood is generally very safe, but in the last month there have been 12 robberies on my block and the block behind me. It seems they targeted houses with single women or elderly couples and gained entrance through the window or door in the garage and then into the house.

I think they only reason my house wasn't hit is because all of my classroom stuff is blocking the door and the Christmas train platform is blocking the window.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2011

I have not heard of a single crime since living here.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

It's a good idea to not keep your valuables visible in a car, but no one 'asks for it'.:eek:

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

"Crime" can happen anywhere......... There are no completely SAFE neighborhoods ........

Always be vigilant........ :hugs:

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2011

Thieves smashed out the rear car window of my brother in laws car and took his laptop, etc. The car was parked right in front of his house (in Milwaukee,) and he has been mugged walking home from a night out. I hate that city with a passion.
    We live in a rather rural area and there is so much crime now, breaking into cabins and cottage and trashing the insides, taking anything of value. The police can't seem to catch them...yet word is that they have "leads," but it's taking forever!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2011

I'm not in denial about how safe my area is. I know things can happen all over. I've lived in my city since 1998 & nothing really severe has happened. The only thing that's happened that hits close to home is my next door neighbor's car wasbroken into once, but I didn't even hear any glass breaking, etc.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 11, 2011

We almost never have crime here. The worst thing I can think of recently is some kids stole a bunch of shoes out of the locker room, tied the laces together, and went around town tossing them on power lines. Everywhere you went, there were shoes hanging 20 feet in the air. I know it's a crime, but it was kinda funny...

UNTIL, tonight, when a fugitive and his wife were spotted in a town about an hour away. They stole a vehicle and led police on a high speed chase. Unfortunately, the police were understandably not practiced up on chasing, and lost them in a corn field (not kidding). They escaped on foot, and stole another vehicle-FROM THE PARKING LOT WHERE THE POLICE HAD THEIR COMMAND POST SET UP. Oy. Talk about embarrassing. Last I heard, they hadn't caught them yet.

Come to think of it, we have had several fugitives drive through the area. Well, by several, I mean 4. I live off one of the major highways that go through the state, and it winds through the sandhills, which is a good place to get lost.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

I'm very comfortable in my neighborhood. We look out for each other and keep an eye on things.

That said, a safe neighborhood is just one where nothing has happened-- yet. So we lock the cars and lock the doors and windows at night. And if we're going to be in the pool or yard we lock the front door.

It's a delicate balance between keeping us all safe and avoiding paranoia. I want the kids to learn a healthy respect for the dangers out there but not to be distrustful of everyone they don't know.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

My city is pretty safe. There was a recent high profile (in Canada) murder here of a local beer tycoon/investment manager... it's all anyone talks about now... rumour has it, it was the guy's son behind it all.

This took place about three blocks from my fiancée's house, but knowing this was an isolated incident, and that the killer knew the victim really doesn't make us fearful in the least.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

I consider my neighborhood safe. But, a couple of summers ago a neighbor came home & FOUND someone in his house holding his son's piggy bank. Being a police officer he gave chase, they caught the man 2 blocks over in another friend's garage! We think the thief targeted that house because he went in through the back door, they have a privacy fence all around the back. The other neighbor was in the back yard at the time!

15. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

In the past year my next door neighbors were arrested for pipe bombing someones car over a prescription drug deal, a man two miles down my road shot his wife in the arm and was in a police stand off, a body was found in a burning van in a wooded area a mile down my road, and our neighbors across the street had their car broken into. Crazy thing is I pulled up the crime statistics for my neighborhood and we're in the middle. :huh: Makes me wonder what's happening in the higher crime areas of our town. We have nice neighbors who help keep an eye on our house so I feel fairly safe, but we are working on paying off debts quickly and saving up for a down payment so that we can move to a better area before we have kids.

16. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

It's amazing how one neighborhood is safe and another one just 10 minutes away is not (in more urban areas). I NEVER lock my car at my parent's house and I leave my purse in there for several hours at a time. I realize I shouldn't do this because they do live outside of San Francisco with a metro line just 5 minutes away. But since our neighborhood is so small and rural someone would definitely notice if someone else was parked in or near our driveway.

Several years ago when I was in middle school 3 men jumped off of the BART (metro) line and walked into one of the nicest neighborhoods in my town. They walked down a street that has some of the biggest and most expensive houses and murdered a woman who was a mother to some children in my school. This was the only incident like this to happen in our town in years, but it shows that you never know what kind of tragedies can happen. Senseless crimes happen all of the time. Fortunately the three young men were caught and are now in jail.

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

I live in a big city so of course there is crime. I bought this beautiful condo with a water and mountain view, to learn that the greenbelt behind it is basically home to a shanty town. Crack heads come out of it and drug deals happen there all the time. We have a neighborhood watch program and I live in an active, vibrant community. They are actively trying to turn the greenbelt into a well lit park and urban orchard.

I did call the police one night because this man was half naked and staggering in the rain and needed medical help. Recently I was taking my dog out at 2 am (which I hate) and noticed someone sleeping in their car.

Fortunately I live in a gated community and feel safe here.

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 11, 2011

I think my area is pretty safe however, my car was stolen right out of our driveway at the beginning of the summer :(