Criers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Shiloh17, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Sep 20, 2014

Does anyone have any tips for constant criers at drop off time? What are some tips to help parents with the transition of school?

Thank you :)

3. TchrMelissa

TchrMelissa Rookie

Sep 20, 2014

I always let my parents know that their child is in good hands and they are more than welcome to call later in the day to check in on their kiddo. It's a balance of understanding that the child will, indeed be okay but, also realizing how this tugs at a parents heart.

The tips I give parents are to make the goodbye sweet and quick. A hug. Kiss. I love you. Goodbye. No coming back. No lingering at the door. And then they can call in two or three hours. Because, chances are, the crying will stop about five minutes after they leave.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2014

In this day and age of smart phones, could a quick picture of the child with a smile on their face within a relatively short time make it easier on everyone? No text would be necessary, since the smile would say it all.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

Some other ideas:

-I have some special jobs kids compete to do that I use to try to redirect kids to do to distract them. Would you like to turn on the music, etc. will often tempt them.

-I have a family wall of pictures of family, or some sites have family binders they can look at.

-I know one site that have a cool place for washing hands at the entrance so they have a ritual of washing hands together before the parent leaves. It is sanitary, a ritual that happens every day then parents leave, and the water is calming.

-A lovey or ? in their cubby they can cuddle.

-I have a basket of special toys they can only use when they are upset, sad, etc. - a calm down basket.

6. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Sep 24, 2014

Make sure the parents leave quickly and do not come back. When they pick up in the afternoon, make sure the parent tells the kid that they came back just like they said they would.

7. Oh.Wow

Oh.Wow Rookie

Nov 9, 2014

I agree with Melissa… I work with 4-5 year olds, and I tell our parents that a quick, reassuring goodbye is best, and that they can call in an hour or two to see how their child is going. I also think it's really important for the parents to explain they will be back at X time, and not to dash out while their child isn't paying attention, as that may increase the child's anxiety.

Often if a child is upset at drop off time, I'll sit with them and read a story, or help them get started on a painting or something.