Criers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Oct 29, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Oct 29, 2005

I am a first year teacher teaching the first grade. I have a couple of students who cry very easily. I feel like they do it to get attention or to get out of doing work. How do I address this situation and get them to stop crying? I don't want to seem insensitive to them but at the same time I don't want to baby them. Please help! Thank you!

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2005

Every year I have this. If it is the beginning of the year and they are crying because they miss their mommy I tell them to bring in a picture of their mom and they keep it in thir crayon box. So whenever they miss their mom they can pull out the picture and look at her. It really works. Now if they just cry for attention or to get out of work I take to them privately and tell them they are big kids now and we don't cry in first grade. Of course I have to word it carefully because they are so little and I don't want to cause more grief but they must realize it is not OK to cry to get their way. It's tough but be gentle yet firm with them. Some take longer than others to stop the crying. Some a little talk is all it takes.

4. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Oct 30, 2005

Try rewarding them for not crying. A sticker chart works well for this.

Teach some lessons on feelings. First graders are old enough to understand that there are more feelings than happy and sad and more ways to express them than crying or laughing.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2005

Hug them and tell them you love them and it will be ok...you promise. They are little and their feelings are very real. On the other hand, tell them that they need to stop crying because they look like something the cat dragged in...and you are slowly loosing your coooooool ... and that is not a good thing.

6. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Nov 1, 2005

hi-i also teach 1st grade and have 1 student who sounds very similar to yours!! :) i too believed that he was doing it for attention and so i did not address it the way i would if a child were hurt, upset (missing mom), etc. i pulled this child aside one day and told him that every time he came to school and had a "good day" (you can then define the terms of this, i.e. NO CRYING!!!) he was going to be my secret teacher's helper. what this means is that each time i have a job that is not handled by one of the regular classroom helpers, he gets to do it-pending good behavior. i will tell you if you do this you have to remind them A LOT! and i also like the idea of it being secretive so none of the other kids find out and get jealous. of course you need to explain this to the child too beforehand. don't know if this will help but it has worked pretty well for me! have a great week!! :) -meri