Cried on my way home today...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2008

I've been feeling pretty stressed. I work out and do lots of hobbies to get my mind off of things, but the thing is, I can't stand working at my new school. The classroom is very small and cluttered. My partner teacher is very LOUD and too hyper. Her kids are loud and hyper as a result. When my kids get to school (I teach afternoon kinder) they are fine. It's when she comes back from her lunch break and starts helping with centers that gets my kids all wiggly and loud too.

The room is a disaster. She has junk EVERYWHERE!!

I had an observation today and I just don't think it went all that well. I try to do things the way she does it, but it just doesn't work, and the P had to witness this. It sucks, because I normally don't run my class like she does, it doesn't work. And the P had to observe this and mention it. I just wanted to tell him, but I am following what she does!!!

Anyways, I am at my wit's end. I woke up three or four times last night in a panic attack. My heart was beating so loud that it woke me up three/four times. I didn't get much sleep last night. I was depressed this morning and I was depressed when I drove home. I don't know if my heart is into teaching this year. I AM a good teacher. THis is my fourth year and I feel very confident as a teacher, BUT after what happened last year at my last district, I have to make a good impression this year with the P so that they'll rehire me again. SOOOOOO, I am trying to keep things peaceful between me and my partner teacher. I do what she does so that we just have a good relationship. It's not working. I am going to go insane if I continue this. I just don't know what to do. I am terrifed to talk to her about anything. I've actually tried, and she bushes me off. OH!! And if her cellphone rings one more time when I am trying to teach my class, I am going to throw it out the door!!!! :rolleyes: Actually, I'm just kidding..... or am I?? :D Oh dear, my panic attack just started again. :(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2008

You're keeping the peace and you're afraid you may not be rehired. Is keeping the peace really working out all that well???

I say you go to the principal and let him know your concerns. I don't see that you have anything to lose.

4. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 1, 2008

I am sorry that you are going through this. I agree with the pp talk to your principal.

5. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

I'm so sorry about your situation! When teachers team-teach or job-share it's so important that they be compatible, or at least similar in philosophy. I second the suggestion that you confide in your principal or a teacher leader or department head.

6. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

Or, talk with a union representative (if you have one). I know our union offers to have someone sit in on a talk between two teachers. That way, administration is not brought in and they don't have to take action. Instead, teachers can solve issues amongst each other, professionally. I don't know if our union has actually done this, but it is offered. It may be less stressful, as you may not feel like you are "telling on" her to your boss or "turning her in," and you may not feel stressed about having to go to administration.

Maybe?

I know people have different experiences with unions, but I thought I'd offer any other viable option.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 1, 2008

I agree to have a sit-down w/ you P & talk over your concerns. I don't remember if you posted on this board about your situation last yr (probably so), but I really hope it all turns out well. It's a realy pain when you work in such close proximity w/ someone who doesn't have the same teaching style as you.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2008

Everyone is agreeing with what I was going to say. I would have a heart-to-heart with the principal. Let him/her in on the situation, and ask for suggestions of how to approach your partner.

Then when you do have a meeting with your partner, you'll be able to approach it calmly without too much drama. You'll have already thought it out.

When you do meet with the partner (and you're going to have to eventually--it's too early in the year), just start slowly. Something like I'd like to have a quiet time here, or let's alternate a group song with a quiet read. She's not your boss. She's a co-worker, and you've taught enough to add input to the classroom.

And what's up with the cellphone? Who does that? RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL! I'd ask her after the next ring if she has voice message. Sort of a hint that it's not a good idea. Then I'd outright tell her if she didn't take the hint. But then, that's me. I can't stand things like that, and I'll speak my mind.

(My son got in trouble in high school once over this issue. It wasn't him, it was the teacher. They were trying to have a class discussion about making the school a better place and the teacher kept taking phone calls. When he finally got off one, my son raised his hand and said something smart-alecky about voting to get rid of phones in the classroom. He was written up and had to spend time in detention for being rude. Hmmph. You know my feelings on that little stint in detention.)

9. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Dec 1, 2008

One of our teachers that got let go was one who was constantly on her cell phone! THat is soo rude. If it goes off again I would stop class and just stop talking and stare at her. The kids will know that it is interrupting their time and it is not fair. Do your own thing. I know how hard it can be. Just hang in there. Maybe you can request a different team teacher next year.

10. AltEdTeacher1

AltEdTeacher1 Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

Hang in There

It is soooooo important that you hang in there. Please use the opportunity to learn from, visit with your principal, and do what you can. Team teaching is very tricky as a whole and when you are paired with someone who doesn't mesh with your style.

Have you visited with your co-worker? Remember you have your time of direct instruction do what you can here.

More importantly begin to look into how to deal with this stress in your classroom. Panic attacks are not good on your health and often cause further stress on the relationships in your life.

Finally, why I wouldn't recommend it. There is plenty of 'case law' regarding teachers and emotional well-being. You might be able to break contract without sanctions if it gets that bad.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 2, 2008

I have worked with a teacher who had a different style than me. It can work, as long as both of you agree about your styles, and how to merge them. I love messy art, and don't mind getting the room messy. She loved to keep everything tidy. I allowed her to determine the room organization, and I made sure to clean my messes up. We became a geat team, and the Director always put her granddaughter in our classroom.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2008

UH! So, today I met with the P. He, of course, nitpicked on certain issues: a couple of kids coming up to me during center time with questions (okay, are there any Kinder teachers out that who run centers that never have any kids come over for questions), too many distractions (class is uber tiny!!!), etc. I told him I plan to change a couple of things, but that my class isn't normally like that. I told him that they were like that because we just got back from vacation (whole week off) and they were excited about christmas and things like that. So, what did he expect?? I mean, who observes on a Monday right after vacation break??????? Of course, today, they were perfect!!! :( I told him that I would love it if he could come in and observe my center time again and see how they really are. I don't know if he will. He seemed to hesitate when I asked him. I think I'm screwed again. Last year I had a P who was rotten, and this year it seems like I have another one. I am blacklisted from the last district because I resigned. If I have trouble with this district, then I will prolly have to move because there's no other nearby districts to work at.

I feel rotten. I know I'm a great teacher. EVERYONE says so, who works with me. Even my partner teacher, who's worked for over 20 years, says I'm really good for a newer teacher. It's just not FAIR!!!! :(

My hope is that he will come in and observe some more (he says since it went not so well yesterday, he wants to come in and watch center time one more time, who knows if he actually will, though!) I hope he will see that they are good kids, that I'm a good teacher, and that I deserve to work in the district.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 3, 2008

You do what you're supposed to do. Just because you team teach do you have to mirror everything she does? I'm asking because I really don't know. If you deviate from her style and you do what's right for you and your kids, will you get into trouble? I'm with everyone else about talking to your P.

A cell phone ringing in the classroom would mean a serious reprimand in my district, it's just unprofessional.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2008

I'm in a better mood today. I am excited to tackle the issues my P had and I started today. I will approach him next week and ask him if he could come into my classroom and observe center time again. I am hoping that he will see that things are actually running really smoothly now. Thanks for the tips and everything! :) I just really hope that I'll be able to prove to him that I'm a good teacher and that he will recommend me to continue working in the district next year!!

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 3, 2008

Peachy - I'm glad you are feeling better about it today. Sometimes I think the administration feels like they have to give something to work on - otherwise what are they there for? By the way, I've never taught a Kinder class where some kids didn't come ask questions. I tell them I'd rather them ask me if no one at their table knows the answer, rather than have them do the whole thing incorrectly.

One of my admins came in to observe the other day (last day before the holiday) and the kids were restless and calling out answers a little bit. This is the person who thought I lacked classroom management last year so I was annoyed they acted that way, especially because they usually don't. So I gave them the lecture about if someone comes in we are going to look like little scholars, participating, etc. So the P comes in yesterday and 3 of my kids put their hands up with the quiet signal when they see him walk through the door. Talk about taking it to the opposite extreme!

I'm sure your P will see what kind of teacher you are, just give it time!