Cried in front of my class...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss-m, Dec 9, 2016.

1. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Dec 9, 2016

This week has been a mess; I was out with strep on Monday, we had a field trip on Tuesday, we MAP tested on Thursday, and my kids are ALL OVER the place. It's like they've forgotten how to follow any rules at all.
    I was mad all day yesterday and didn't want to come today. I went to the bathroom this morning and when I came back there were kids running around the room instead of eating breakfast, so I snapped. And unfortunately I also started crying in front of them.

I can't tell yet if that actually helped or not. They did ok this morning surprisingly, so maybe them seeing me so upset that I'm in tears will actually shape them up a bit.
    But still. I don't like crying in front of people anyway, let alone my students.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 9, 2016

Something like that often helps in the short-term just because of the shock-value, but in the long-term I think it causes them to lose respect for you.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2016

I don't know, I think especially since these are elementary kids, they might feel bad and think about their actions for the future. I think it's OK for kids to see that we are human.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2016

I don't agree with this comment in regards to elementary students. Students that age are very compassionate and would actually want to make you feel better. They would be very protective of you.

Now, high school students would probably react just as Peregrin said.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 9, 2016

I agree. I feel like me crying (which I have not done) would have a very big impact on my kids. Of course, they have to care about you for it to matter about to them, but I'm sure they do! I'm sorry you had a bad day. Christmas break is nearly here!

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 9, 2016

You need to suck it up. There's no crying in the classroom!

8. minnie

minnie Habitué

Dec 9, 2016

I've cried in front of my students before. I teach kinder. They were genuinely sorry. We are human. People expect us to be on our A game every second of the day. Sometimes we just have had enough. We are not robots. I'm so sorry you had a rough week!

Milsey, you're mean.

9. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 10, 2016

At the bottom of this page, I see that 107 robots are reading these posts. Perhaps robots are stoic enough to teach without showing any emotion, but our schools hired people to teach. Fred Rogers has written that kids need to see real teachers and parents, and real people sometimes cry.

miss-m and MrsC like this.
  10. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Dec 10, 2016

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I definitely don't make a habit of crying in front of 8 year olds, and I actually tried very hard to get the tears out in the bathroom before the day started, but when I came back and they were chasing each other around the room it was just too much.
    One more week, and I'm feeling much more confident about next semester since this semester was so stressful. I remember a lot of the content from second semester better since that was when I started taking over in my student teaching, and I'm gonna do some massive organizational overhauling over winter break.

11. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Dec 10, 2016

You're human. ☺️ I almost did the same thing last week.

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Dec 10, 2016

We have the HARDEST job ever. I am told I have the patience of a saint, but there are times I literally cannot repeat myself again. I haven't cried about my students in a LONG time, but there have been days in my past. Hang in there.

13. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Dec 10, 2016

Hey it is ok, maybe it is the holidays that got them so rowdy and also a change in schedule with you being out due to strep, Map testing, and a field trip just seem like a few things that can cause problems in the routine. I have known many teachers that cry in front of their students.It is hard sometimes. I cried at home because I wish the pay was rewarding.My boyfriend lost his job and I had to take care all of the bills. I shed so many tears before and after work, but things are better now, and things will get better for you.

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2016

I think it's important that, while we often try to not show any quick reaction to misbehaviors (and instead handle it calmly), that it's equally important for students to see that actions do have consequences, and know how to react to a situation where they caused these kinds of feelings for someone.

Obadiah likes this.