Cried in front of my class Friday

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, May 5, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 5, 2012

I think most of us have cried at some point...

If you've seen my other thread, you know I threw out my back Monday and have not been doing well. Friday at recess I was in pain and lamenting to myself about my second job later that evening, worried about how I was going to "make it."

Then, BAM! I got whacked in the head with a wayward football. It was an accident, and the kids came rushing to say sorry.

Back in the classroom, my head was pounding and my back and knees were screaming (back being out has now affected my knees.) Because it was Friday and the kids were rowdy, they wouldn't listen and be quiet. I just lost it...I started crying out of frustration. The kids got quiet and some of them didn't know what to do. I stepped in the hall to compose myself and came back in without saying a word other than apologizing that I was in pain.

I felt so stupid! ugh.....

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

Don't worry. Like you said, most of us have cried in front of our kids at one point or another. You are human and were just at your breaking point. I hope you are feeling better.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

We have all done this at some point. :hugs:

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 5, 2012

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 5, 2012

They are the ones who should feel stupid and be apologizing.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 5, 2012

*e-hugs*

It happens to everyone. Children should know that tears are a natural human response to large amounts of stress. I think from now on, they will try to be a lot more respectful of you and considerate for the rest of the year.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 5, 2012

I don't think you should feel stupid nor embarrassed. First of all, you didn't cry because some 2nd grader hurt your feelings, you had a real reason. I think it was, in a sense, good for them to see that they need to be more compassionate, and their action have consequences. Maybe the consequences don't affect them, but they affect others.

9. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

May 5, 2012

We do current events every morning from the news. One morning we watched a clip about a story about a family who was living in their car. Out of nowhere I started bawling. The kids just looked at me like I was crazy. I also cried when I did a lesson about bullying with them. They are used to me crying though. I am overly emotional all the time. lol

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 5, 2012

You did nothing wrong.
    Perhaps it was even a learning moment for your students.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

I agree, forgive yourself! Crying was a calm way to handle the situation.

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 5, 2012

I cry very easily. When I was talking to my students about a senior prank that was cruel and could have seriously injured someone, I started crying in class.

You are not the only one!! No reason to feel ashamed.

13. roxstar

roxstar Companion

May 5, 2012

I think it is good for students to occasionally see that teachers are human beings just like them. I think they forget that sometimes. Especially older kids. If you cried every day I would say that you should try to get a hand on it :) but it was a human moment from a human being. Accept it and be ok with it because I think it WAS ok :)

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

I understand you feeling "stupid", but there really is no reason to feel that way. Nothing to feel stupid about, aplogize for, forgive yourself for...it was a perfectly understandable response.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 5, 2012

While team teaching this week, Mentor Teacher gave a mini-lecture on Socrates' choice to die rather than to stop teaching. Although we teach online, I could hear her voice crack with emotion. Her aim was to get our students to understand how important their education is, and that people died to give them their opportunity to learn. Mentor Teacher, our senior member of the team, cried in the middle of the lesson. Her point was made.

16. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 5, 2012

Please don't feel stupid; I'm a firm believer in letting it out, regardless of the location. Sometimes you just need a good cry.

No shame. I think a lot of us have been there. :hugs:

17. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

May 5, 2012

It happens to the best of us. It happened my first year teaching several years ago. I had a tough class and I made a lot of the rookie mistakes. I became very frustrated and just started crying. The next day, when the kids were getting unruly...one of my kids said, "You better watch out! She is going to cry again!". She was one of my tough ones...lol

18. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 5, 2012

I've probably cried at least once in front of each group of kids.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 5, 2012

I cried on the last day of school a few years ago.

I had an amazing class that year and one boy started crying right before I dismissed the kids to enjoy their summer break. His tears triggered a chain reaction of tears and at least 8-10 kids were crying. Then I started getting emotional and couldn't hold back the tears.

That was actually a really good memory, though.

20. msfcs

msfcs Rookie

May 5, 2012

I agree, do not feel stupid. I just had this conversation with a friend today - sometimes its just hard not to cry when frustration seems to overwhelm you and you feel like you could scream but instead the tears just flow. Keep your head up - forgive yourself- and move on :)