Creepy Ex-Cooperating Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherrunner, Nov 28, 2014.

1. teacherrunner

teacherrunner Rookie

Dec 1, 2014

I wouldn't say anything to the university unless he continued to Email. My supervisor like I mentioned found his controlling behavior very odd. I did my student teaching at a private school and I feel as if they get away more; for example he often chose to shame kids for behavior. One day he chose to scream at a child calling her a liar in front of the entire class going on to discuss a personal convo between himself and her parents. I never mentioned this to my supervisor but I was disturbed over this event.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2014

Student teaching is as much about learning what not to do as it is about what to do.

I understand that your experience might be upsetting to you, but please recognize that it is not unique by any means.

3. teacherrunner

teacherrunner Rookie

Dec 1, 2014

I don't dislike him; all I mentioned is that he's had control issues and that I didn't appreciate trying to be set up. That's all... Not that I hate my ex cooperating teacher.

4. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 2, 2014

Lol. My CT was a man, 10 years older than me and people definitely would've consider stuff we discussed off hours to be inappropriate... lol. He didn't creep me out though, he is now one of my very best friends!

He gave me $100 for Christmas that year, at the end of my internship.

Maybe he wants to have a friendship with you? Just because you have a professional relationship doesn't mean you can't be friends. If you don't want to be, that's perfectly legitimate. The best way to communicate this is by being short, to the point--people will generally pick up on that when you are not being indulging with the personal info.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 3, 2014

I posted here already, but regarding the part about him only letting you teach for the last 2 weeks, that's how it went for my student teaching terms...only the last 2 weeks was the teaching all on me.

Now if your university sup also thinks he's weird, then that's good that you have someone on your side in this who doesn't think this is just "in your head" or "only your opinion". I believe you that there's probably something about his demeanor that's odd, creepy, etc.

BTW, I never got a pricey last-day gift...more like knick-knack stuff that I recall, maybe a $20 gift card once.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 5, 2014

Well that's all that matters...your supervisor found his controlling behavior odd, so that is the support and validation you need.
    And IMO it is extremely inappropriate for him to try and set you up with his nephew. That is not simply seeking friendship, and it's inappropriate as he was your CT and is now your reference contact.

I disagree with comments here that it's okay for a reference to cross the boundaries of professionalism and mix business with pleasure.

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 5, 2014

This is not appropriate or professional. The responses here continue to amaze me