Credit card chip?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jun 27, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 27, 2016

What's the purpose of this? It is annoying... why are they trying to eliminate the swipe credit cards?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 27, 2016

It's supposed to add an extra layer of security so people can't steal your CC info from the magnetic strip.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 27, 2016

Yeah ^ which does make me feel better, but at the same time, the chip takes longer than swiping. Very annoying!

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 27, 2016

I didn't know that (extra security)... I can't imagine why that chip would be able to have any more security, but OK. Like you ChildWhisperer, it is more annoying than anything else right now. Eventually, I guess I'll get used to it... or (hopefully) it becomes more streamlined.

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jun 27, 2016

It's also nice when you're traveling internationally. In my experience in Europe, I was very limited in where I could use my debit card (no chip) and the one time I went and finally had one, I saved so much time not standing in line and going immediately to kiosks that require chips. Also certain vendors would only take chips.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2016

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2016

We have had chip and pin in Europe for about 20 years. American friends who visit the UK sometimes have difficulty paying in stores and restaurants because they have replaced their swipe equipment. Cards are harder to clone. It takes no longer than swipe and sign and you don't hand over your card.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 28, 2016

I was just going to say "Well they have been using it in Europe for something like 20 years." but I am just going to quote this and add this: When I have had to use the chip here in the US, they don't want a pin, they just want a signature.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2016

We've been using chip and PIN here in Canada for several years now. I'm so glad that American retailers are starting to use it; although my cards also have a swipe strip, I was only able to use them at about half of the places I shop when visiting my daughter in Ohio.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2016

Given the large security breaches that have occurred over the past few years, I'm thankful for this new added security.

A pin is required at some chip machines that I've used.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 28, 2016

Most of the time, it's swipe and go. No need to sign or hand over the card.
    But I'm not complaining. Just pointing out it's a bit annoying since it takes longer than swiping.
    And all this talk about swiping reminds me of "swiper, no swiping!"

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2016

So how does the shopkeeper know the card is yours?

Mind you I was asked for ID in an American store once, I showed her my UK drivers licence and it was accepted. After payment I asked if she had ever seen a UK licence before and she hadn't. It could have been a library card for all it mattered.

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2016

Our first experience was on vacation in France when we still had swipe cards in the UK. It took about 5 years for the UK banks to adopt them, now they are universal over here. Mind you we now have (not me) those cards where you just hover them over the reader and we are also having the 'apple pay' things using your mobile phone to pay. However I believe these are limited to small amounts (£20 max).

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 28, 2016

I'm fine with the chip, but it is currently taking a little longer. However, I just wish everyone would make the switch. Right now my area is about 50-50.

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 28, 2016

I feel like I get into trouble whenever I go shopping now... I swipe when I should insert the chip, and vice versa. I don't care what I need to use, I just want it uniform.

17. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 28, 2016

Yes! It's the same for me! It's happened so often, I ask before I swipe/insert.

They don't. In all my years of having credit cards (only 10 or so years), most of the time, I'm NOT asked to show them the card or an accompanying ID. The cashiers don't care. I look like a teen and I don't even get ID-ed when I buy alcohol.
    So I'm perfectly fine with them upping the security. Just wish it was uniform (see above quote) and that it was just as fast as swiping :D

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 30, 2016

While the chip adds extra security, in a way, I DON'T like it because...
    now you have to LEAVE the card in place until it says to remove it, well, a thief can more easily yank it out of the slit & run off w/ it as opposed to before in which you could just quickly swipe it & put it back in your wallet fast. I really hate leaving it in at ATM machines!

So while they're trying to solve a problem, it adds another problem. Also I hate how every machine's different as someone above said...some are still swipe, others are input. Ay, ay, ay.

19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2016

When they first came in over here there was a spate of people standing behind users and watching for the pin then stealing the card. However people quickly adapted and the keypads are either shielded or you just use the other hand to cover the view of the keypad. They are a big improvement on swipe. Just never let them out of your sight.

In bars and restaurants that have wireless keypads so you can pay without leaving your table. When I was in the states last year the servers always thought I was strange because I would follow them to the cash register with my card to pay. Americans seemed quite happy to let the server take the card away from the table.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2016

I'm not accustomed to the kinds of experiences you seem to have experienced, Ms I and Blazer...I always watch my bag, my cards, my wallet, who is around me....and I haven't heard anything about grab and go with the chips. As I understand it, every time you use the chip there's a new user code involved In the transaction. Near me, there is usually a swivel platform for the card reader plus some kind of shield so it would be really difficult for someone to get your pin unless they were breathing down your neck...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 30, 2016

Yes, it's glad I don't let anyone stand that close to me!

22. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2016

last year in Chicago I was asked for ID in a Jewel Osco store when I went to pay with my credit card. I handed over my UK driver's licence. The cashier accepted the ID. I asked if she had ever seen a UK driver's licence before and she hadn't. It could have been homemade as far as her security was concerned!

23. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 1, 2016

Someone would fake a US or a Canadian ID

not a UK ID

at least in the US in a state near Canada

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

A bunch of stores have a note on the credit card reader saying the chip reader isn't working yet. I only use cash so I haven't had a problem I have heard some people complain about why it isn't working. People always seem to find things to complain about.