Credential Program

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by lucianamelo, Jan 23, 2007.

1. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Jan 23, 2007

Hi everyone...
    I would like to know if when applying to a job, it matters at what university you’ve gotten your teaching credential and your master’s degree. I have been accepted to attend Cal State Dominguez Hills for a Credential Program. However they don’t offer a Master Degree and a Credential Program altogether. I am thinking about Phoenix University, because they have a program that really interests me (Master of Arts in Education with a Specialization in Teacher Education for Secondary Licensure), and besides they have a pretty flexible schedule. But I don’t know if it’s a good, accredited and acceptable university.
    Does anyone have any experience similar to this?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 23, 2007

The CSUs started out as teacher schools; they tend to have very good connections in their areas and they tend to be pretty responsive to what the local school districts want to see in new teachers. In addition, they're a whole lot cheaper. And for secondary education, seems to me that there'd be some benefit to getting the master's degree in the subject you'll be teaching, unless you're planning to go into administration (and possibly even if you are).

But that's just TeacherGroupie's take; let's see what others have to say.

4. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

hmm ... what about private schools? I live down the street from Biola U so I was planning on getting my credential there, as well as eventually a MA in History there, but I would like to teach public not private.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2007

Hm - must be a satellite, since if memory serves Biola's original bricks-and-mortar campus is north of you in the San Gabriel Valley. Biola's been around for a while and I'd expect it to have a pretty good program; so also Chapman, from whose pink buildings a steady stream of teachers has issued since at least the 1960s, and U. Redlands, which was busily minting teachers back before the Panama Canal was a-digging.

6. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

I believe its their initial campus, but I could be wrong, it's in La Mirada, CA ... they also have 2 satelites (one in Inglewood & San Leandro)

hmm, I haven't checked into either of those two

I also live quite close to CSU Fullerton

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2007

Biola (like Redlands and Chapman and Azusa Pacific and La Verne and a couple others) has satellites in lots of places.

Fullerton will be cheaper than all of these. You might try asking around the districts you'd like to get hired by - perhaps get an informational interview with someone in human resources to find out what they might be looking for in new secondary teachers about the time you finish.

8. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

Does anyone know if there is a Credential Program combined with a Master's in Education? I've been looking at CSUs however I can't find anything... At Dominguez Hills there is a Master in Teaching of Mathematics which is perfect for me, but there is a prerequisite that you must have completed one year of mathematics teaching, which I haven't...

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2007

A master's like that could indeed make you a rather hot commodity. Why not wait on the master's till you've got the credential? You'll have a better sense of what it is that you want to get out of a master's degree program, and since it's additional qualification for a job you'd already be holding, I think you'd be able to deduct the cost from your taxes.