Creativity in Education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachall123, May 2, 2015.

1. teachall123

teachall123 New Member

May 2, 2015

Why is creative teaching a challenge for many teachers? How can we help teachers embrace the notion of creativity in their teaching?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 2, 2015

You live in New York. You know what your governor just did to every single public school teacher in the state. I think most teachers embrace the idea of creativity, but are simply not allowed to do so.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 2, 2015

Are we doing your homework for you?

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 2, 2015

That does sound like a homework question. :)

If not...What makes you conclude that teachers have trouble with creativity?

6. teachall123

teachall123 New Member

May 2, 2015

I was just curious as to with the new common core curriculum, if teachers have difficulties being creative with their teaching, seeing as the new curriculum is very scripted? I have taught with the common core modules and it seemed difficult for many teachers to stray from these modules.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2015

:spitwater:

8. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

May 2, 2015

In most states, teachers must ensure that they are fulfilling the Common Core Standards for their students. However, Common Core doesn't specify the manner in which the standards have to be taught. Depending on your school/district, you will experience varying degrees of freedom in how you can teach the material.

In certain areas, creativity in teaching may be difficult because of budget restrictions and federal or state regulations. However, it's important to note that creativity in teaching is being shown across the country. One recent example I stumbled upon is the use of mobile desks. While not directly related to teaching, it certainly impacts the learning of students by changing the classroom environment.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 2, 2015

Not sure where you got this information. Common Core doesn't mandate even one sentence to be scripted. Using scripting materials is a choice done by a district, school, or usually just the teacher. It has nothing to do with Common Core.

10. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 2, 2015

I will assume this is a serious question. One challenge vis-a-vis creativity is time constraints. you can pick almost any standard or topic and there is a wealth of info/lesson plans/etc. available to us. Some of which are, in fact, better than my own. (My students might substitute the words "most" or "all" for the word "some" in the previous sentence;).However, sifting through all that can take lots of extra time. I am dealing with 6 preps so I choose to forego that luxury. I still work diligently on lesson plans,,,and strive to be "creative" but do believe that I am not utilizing all the resources available given the time that I have.

11. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

May 2, 2015

CC is just a set of standards, not a "program". I teach second grade...I feel that the QUANTITY of the standards have decreased which allows me a lot more freedom and time to be creative as we are teaching the standards more in depth.

12. msgab

msgab Rookie

May 2, 2015

I think there are some states that are interpreting the common core in a way that is restrictive for both teachers and students. It is not the case in VT. I find that the Common Core Curriculum is challenging me to be more creative. We are not obsessing over the tests and we are not allowing the common core to dictate anything. We are using it as a guide to the standards and trying to develop lessons and units that are engaging to kids.