Creative Writing

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ifightaliens, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Jan 26, 2010

Hey all.

I am teaching Creative Writing this year, and since there is no curriculum, I'm starting to run short of ideas.

Usually I present a topic, give structured notes, and give some in class writing assignments.

We've spent most of the first half on short stories. I'll be spending some time on poetry, but after that I'm not sure what to really cover.

I've never taught creative writing (nor a full year elective), so any ideas on units or long term things would be fantastic.

3. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 26, 2010

Let's see if I can remember back to HS. I took CW as a 1/2 year elective. I know we watched two movies, though one of the titles, I can't remember. The other one was Memento though. We wrote a few short stories, some different kinds of poetry and 1 script. I don't think we ever took notes though.

I used the handy google and found this website (it's denver university)... I think they have some pretty neat things on there. I many have to try some myself http://mysite.du.edu/~bkiteley/exercises.html

The ones that I really like are: Deja Vu, Body English, Jointly Held Story, Surprise

I hope this helps =)

4. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Jan 26, 2010

I remember one of the most fun things I did was to take an O. Henry short story and turn it into a radio play and record it.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 26, 2010

It wasn'rt a creative writing class, but one of mty favorite (and most memorable) English assignments was to write our own story based off the style used in Catcher In the Rye. I don't normally use that sort of language, and it was a lot of fun (and a bit of a relief) to do that one... so maybe having them try tyheir hand at writing in the style of a particular author?

Write (and maybe illustrate) children's stories... then read them to kids (field trip?)

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 26, 2010

Does it have to be fiction? I highly recommend the book Tell it Slant as a textbook / guide to writing creative non-fiction (it's on my bookcase). A neat resource for another genre is Young Playwrights, a program begun by Stephen Sondheim. My brother and I are both alum of the Philadelphia Festival and are still writing almost two decades later.

7. cateste

cateste Companion

Jan 28, 2010

How about having your students write a speech for a favorite politician or entertainment personality? They would have to tell what their audience would be, what point/s they were trying to sell, and maybe either give the speech or make a video of someone giving the speech and having the class rate it.

8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 28, 2010

Nancy Atwell has several great books about teaching writing. One of her main focuses includes having the students keep lists of what subjects they want to write about. I have to say, it works like a charm with my HS students - they write a LOT and surprisingly well on topics they get to pick. A lot of their fiction is based on life experiences but the rule is that unless they tell me otherwise, I assume it is fiction. Keep us posted on what works and what doesn't.

9. DRBenjamin

DRBenjamin Rookie

Jan 29, 2010

I taught a whole semester of Poetry, and I had a blast. If you'd like some ideas, you can email me. Private message me and I'll send you my email address.

10. ACAteacher

ACAteacher New Member

Jan 31, 2010

I teach 9th grade creative writing + reinforce grammar skills....I will be glad to share ideas with you. Email me.

11. Moldy Peach

Moldy Peach Rookie

Feb 2, 2010

Caste, I LOVE YOU! This idea is fantastic. I am going to use this for my next unit...I remember a teacher I interned with did the same thing, but the field trip idea is genius. Thanks so much! :)