creative writing in High School

Discussion in 'High School' started by pommom, Sep 10, 2015.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Sep 10, 2015

These jobs seem very hard to get. I remember taking a creative writing class in High School. I would love to teach creative writing. I would assume that there is only one of these teachers at every High School. I have never seen a job posting for this position, I would assume it would just say an English position, and I would think that the certification for this is English? Anyone here that teaches this class, if so is what I am saying about this accurate?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 10, 2015

I would think this class would be an elective, and there might not be a full time teacher for this. Def. an English credential.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 10, 2015

It's usually an English teacher who teachers Creative Writing for a period or 2.
    I remember my high school offered Creative Writing (I never took it though... funny because I ended up majoring in English with a focus in creative writing as an undergrad)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 10, 2015

It would be an elective taught by an English teacher. So, most of the day would be spent teaching the typical English Language Arts type classes and maybe one period of Creative Writing.

A lot of ELA teachers have a creative writing unit, but the bulk of writing at the HS (as far as most standards go) are about argument writing (Claim, Evidence, Analysis-type writing).

6. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Sep 13, 2015

I used to teach creative writing. But it was one hour a day and an elective. The other hours were either English or history. I haven't taught it in four or five years. I teach English all day now and there is no creative writing elective any more.

We do a lot of analysis writing in my English classes but every few weeks, we do some creative writing instead for a week. It's a nice brain break for them from the usual reading, discussion, analyzing, writing routine.

7. Dec 24, 2015

If you are going to a high school and want to choose the best high school for education, then you should go for American High School. Which is the best online high school in Florida, offering high school courses with the best quality equipment.

8. idiotprogrammer

idiotprogrammer Rookie

Jan 10, 2016

I was recruited to teach it for a middle school elective. What a disaster. In addition to it being my first year, they filled the classes to the brim with lots of students who had no desire to be there. Each class had between 30-40 students, with a total of 233. (Did I mention that the state had no standards for this elective -- not even for the high school version of the class). I managed though. (Website is here if you're interested https://pershingcreative.wordpress.com/ ). Later my position was eliminated in favor of having core ELA teachers handle the occasional creative writing elective. I was bummed out by this of course, but from a curriculum standpoint, it made sense. Generally the students loved it but I couldn't keep up with grading papers. (I learned a lot of tips by reading Carolyn Jago's Papers, Papers, Papers book

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2016

When I took Creative Writing in HS, it was the equivalent of an Honors Class, elective, and pretty much by invitation only. I LOVED the class, loved the subject matter, and wish that there had been a follow up course, but there wasn't. The instructor was very good and talented, leaving a couple of years later to teach first at a community college, and later at a university. I know that when my son was in HS, he did a lot of writing in Honor's English, but there was no stand alone creative writing class.. . . too bad. sigh.

10. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 11, 2016

I definitely couldn't see this being a full-time position at any high school. I tried to take a creative writing class in high school but I wasn't able to because the course was cancelled for not enough people signing up. (It needed 6 students and didn't get them.)

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 11, 2016

Funny that this thread was revived! I've recently started writing an elective curriculum on this subject. The goal is to break it down into ten modules worth of reading and writing. My thinking is that I can hit four major genres of writing:
    • non-fiction personal narrative
    • fictional short story
    • poetry
    • play (dialogue and stage directions)
    The students would read samples of each, examine the structure, and complete some short answer / multiple choice on the selections. Then they would take what they have observed and write their own works in each genre. For the final two modules, they would take one genre and either expand what they have written or create something new and extended in that form. Finally, there would be a performance of the final piece (staged reading if the final product is a script).

The hard part is structuring this information. Your thoughts?