Creative Writing Ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by uteachme2, Aug 4, 2009.

1. uteachme2

uteachme2 Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

This will be my first year teaching high school English and my third year overall as a teacher. Also, it will be my first time teaching creative writing. I will be teaching juniors and seniors. I am looking for any ideas that can help me with the class. (lesson plans, how to structure it, etc.) I will gladly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

3. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I don't teach only greative writing, but do incorporate it into my English curriculum. What I do is give my students a creative writing - prompt at the beginning of every class.

There are a lot of great websites to help you with the topics, and possibly even structure. If you haven't already done so, google search "Creative Writing Topics".

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

See if you can get your hands on a book called Write Brain. I found it at Barnes and Noble. It has tons of really great creative writing ideas.

5. Alex2Eng

Alex2Eng Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I recommend The 3am Epiphany by Kiteley, The Pocket Muse by Wood, Hooked by Edgerton, On Writing by Stephen King, and Now Write! by Ellis. Most of these books are filled with ideas and prompts for creative writing. Also, loads of information about creative writing and whatnot. On Writing is such a great book!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Do you listen to NPR's "This I Believe" ... NPR has a curriculum on their website. My students write essays, submit them to NPR and create podcasts ... very cool.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

KU, I tried that last year, but I ended up not following through. How long did the whole process take you?

8. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

Hi!
    Make a list until you find a story. Take any of the techniques mentioned above and use it to make a list. If
    You are searching the news for novel stories; for instance, write down everything that is on the evening news if it is even a little bit interesting. To create a "principles in action" story, list all the moral principles that are imperative to you. Then review these lists until one of the items there grabs you. Start with that.
    It's better to write anything, and do it right now. English writer Graham Green attributes much of his success to a simple habit: He forced himself to write at least 500 words daily, whether he felt like it or not. Perhaps creative inspiration can strike at any time, but it strikes more often when there is work instead of waiting. Start writing and you'll have more creative writing ideas.:agreed: