Creative Ways to Introduce Rules/Procedures

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Jul 23, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I feel so bad for my kiddos when I introduce rules and procedures. It just seems like a lot of blah, blah, blah! I try to break it up into short intervals etc. But does anyone have any creative ideas? Or how do you do it?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I use the classroom monster story - on my yahoo group (kinderfirst) under files. I think its listed under beginning of year. They love the story.

Also read No David and relate that to school.

I also like Hands are not for hitting, words are not for hurting series.....
    I would like to hear others ideas.

4. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

I read "David Goes to School." It's about a boy named David (same as in "No David") who breaks all of the school rules. I have a puppet that resembles David and I have the students tell David what he did wrong. I have the puppet respong to them saying "What should I have done? I don't want to get in trouble again!" Something of that nature. If one of my kids breaks a rule, I say "What if David did that? What would you tell him?"

5. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I use the monster story also. I have also found that it works if they help make the rules. Example-for blocks, ask if they can think of some ideas that might make blocks fun, fair and safe. If there is one that they haven't named, you could ask, what about throwing the blocks-they will agree that "no flying objects"-a rule I use throughout my room-would be a good rule. When they contribute, be sure to praise with "I like that idea" etc.

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

Awesome idea minnie. I also have those 2 books No David and David goes to school.... just wish I had a puppet. On my visit to the library yesterday I found 2 books with photos versus drawings titled My hands can and What Can You do?

I thought these 2 books would be awesome to talk about everything that they can do... instead of reading down a list of donts.

Maybe I will read the No David/David Goes to School book 1 day and then read Hands can and What Can You Do the next day.

Write down all the things they can do on a big chart and place it somewhere in the room... and get them to sign it saying they are going to follow the rules... or simply use it as a reminder.

So many ideas, so little time as well as wanting to keep my groups short in the beginning

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

I copied this from kinderthemes.com/backtoschool.html

It is such a great idea! I am going to see if my principal will let me do it. We have a super strict food policy!

Friendship Salad
    This is a great lesson to teach during the first week of school when the kids are learning about
    room rules and manners!

Items Needed:
    Very Large Bowl
    Large Mixing Spoon
    paper plates or bowls
    plastic spoons
    Several cans of fruit (a variety is good)
    Marshmallows
    Yogurt
    1 very old and rotten banana

I explain to the kids that the big bowl is like our classroom and that there are many important things that our room needs..especially good friends and happy days at school.

Add one can of fruit...."These are the kind kids in our room."(You can elaborate....they help each other at school, and wait their turn in line...)

Add another can of fruit..."These are the hard workers in our room" (..they get their work done and always try their best, even when work gets hard!)

Add another can of fruit..."These are the kids who share" (...they know how to share their supplies, and they share the toys at center time....)

Add some marshmallows..."These are the kind words being said in our room." (...words like please and thank you, and I'm sorry, when someone gets hurt...)

Add the yogurt...."This is the happiness we feel when we are at school." (...when we laugh, when we learn, when we have treats, and when we get to play at recess....)

Talk about the yummy friendship salad, how good it will tasted and then pretend to begin to peel the rotten banana. The kids have always yelled "Stop!!!" before I even get the banana peeled. I tell them that this is the Rotten Banana that could cause trouble in our happy classroom. This might be a banana that calls names, does not share, refuses to do school work, etc... We all vote NOT to put the rotten banana in our Friendship Salad.

This is your opportunity to talk with the children about why the children do not want this banana in their friendship salad AND how to make the connection with them about the importance of following rules and having good manners. It is fun to hear the children say throughout the year, "We don't want any rotten bananas in here!" or "Don't act like that or you'll be like a Rotten Banana!"

8. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 9, 2010

I used No David. Read the book then had an activity where I created pictures of David doing activities in our room (somethings he should be doing and somethings he shouldnt). The kids had 3 pages to glue down "Yes David" things and 3 pages to glue down "No David" things. Of course I also demonstrated some things so the kids could tell me if I was doing a "Yes David" or a "No David". You should have seen the kids faces when I stood on a homeliving chair!

9. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Oh the fruit salad is fabulous!

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 11, 2010

Another cute book I use is calle Kevin Knows the Rules. It's about a little boy going to school for the first time and learning the rules. It's very concrete and the pictures are pretty good. The rules are simple and straight-forward and when I start my brainstorming right after reading it, the kids pretty much parrot back the rules from the story, which is exactly what I want them to do! :D