creative spelling ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by alana, Feb 21, 2007.

1. alana

alana Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

I am tutoring a second grader in reading and spelling. His teacher says that he knows the words but always spells them wrong. What are some good ways to practice writing words and spelling them correctly? Mom is asking for some ideas and apparently is not satisfied with the ones I am giving her!! :)

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2007

Have you done rainbow writing... I had a child who loved this...take one crayon & write the word and keep choosing different colors until the child is sick of making a rainbow...we did about 3-4 on average.

4. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

Have him try Ladder words. If the word is exit it would look like this on the paper
    e
    ex
    exi
    exit
    Works all the time.

5. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Feb 23, 2007

shaving cream spelling...spread shaving cream on the table/desk ( i have a wide, shallow bowl) practice writing words with one finger as your "pencil"

i just borrowed " teaching spelling for dummies" from the library yesterday...i haven't really read it yet but i know she has a chapter on games, maybe pick it up and see if anything is useful

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Spell-Dummies-Lifestyles-Paperback/dp/0764576240

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2007

Spelling tic tac toe!! Make your grid as usual. You'll need several, depending on how many spelling words the child has. You choose your symbol, and when it's the child's turn they write a different spelling word each time. My 6 yr old loved this and we went through her entire list forward and backward.

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2007

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 23, 2007

I cut and pasted my games/activities so a few of them may be too multiplayer. I kept them posted because my best creation is always a modified version of an idea I see.

Sparkle
    Hangman
    Tic Tac Toe (used with spelling or comprehension questions)
    Duck Duck Goose (run to the board and spell or answer a question)
    Relay Race (to the board to answer question)
    Word Go Fish (card game)
    Bingo (word)
    Dominos (word)
    Hot Potato or Boss Ball
    Word Slap Jack
    Shaving Cream on Table (trace with fingers)
    Triangle Stair Steps (s, st, ste, step) (can make study flags)
    Qtip writing (dip in water, write on chalkboard, it self erases)
    Invisible Ink Cards (file folder games, etc)
    Word Going Fishing (like carnival game (pipecleaner poles))
    Cheers
    Mini Dry Erase Board Activities(ex. write word, draw pic. of word, both of you compare your answers).
    Egg Hunt (cut up letters of a word, put in plastic eggs, hunt, unscramble letters, write answer).
    Sorry (draw popcicle stick w/ word (I like invisible ink), spell that word, if they draw "sorry" stick, they put back all their words).

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 24, 2007

I know this wasn't suggested for me but one frustrating thing about spelling/reading practice workbooks and materials is that they are ALL based for phonetic learners and my students can't learn phonetically. So I waste 3/4 of the book. :rolleyes: If my students could learn phonetically I probably would benefit from a structured book. In general I like the dummies books. That doesn't make me a dummy does it? :D

10. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

We make the words with magnetic letters, playdough, rainbow write, write on whiteboards. I would suggest trying anything he could do that encourages sensory integration. Good luck!

11. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Feb 24, 2007

Instead of teaching memorization he needs the strategies...

Sitton Spelling is awesome for this.

One activity that I use is ladder words (not like the previous poster's ladder words)

1) Write dad
    2)change dad into mad
    3) change mad into bad
    4) change bad into bed

you keep going as long as you want, covering the words that you want. Then go back and look at the words and have a discussion about what the words have in common. How can you use what you know about the words to spell new words. After doing this activity just once my class improved dramatically in their spelling.

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2007

I have heard of people saying that they use spelling tic tac toe... anyone in the upper grades use this (5th?) I am thinking about trying it next year, and would love to hear stories, or see an example of what you give the kids. Thanks!!!

13. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

Writing the words odd number of times, i.e. 3 or 5, so the brain remembers better. Then tracing or writing the words in different colors.

I bought fancy sparkle pens and eraseable colored pencils (always put on a PENCIL GRIP), so they could write in all sorts of different colors. I also used the raised lines paper so kids could feel the lines.

The other thing that works is notecards. You put the word normally on one side and then s p e l l the word out on the back putting space between each letter.

These are what I have seen work for individual students e.g. things a parent can do at home. You can always practice with spelling games at school!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 24, 2007

Btw, I use masking TAPE on tables for an instant Tic Tac Toe board.

15. Jame

Jame Comrade

Feb 25, 2007

Check out http://www.spellingtime.com/! Great interactive practice kids can do at home, and you can access reports that tell you which students have been doing the activities and what words they have been missing. When you register your students with your e-mail address, it sends you the reports.

You program it with your own lists of words, and there is audio with it, so the kids are 'hearing' the words and instructions. It was listed in Learning Magazine:) as an award winning site. It is wonderful! :)

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 25, 2007

To help with handwriting and spelling, I use Box It. The student writes the word (in manuscript) leaving a little extra space between each letter. Then with a colored pencil go back and draw a box around each letter; the box needs to fit the size of the letter. For example, "t" is a tall letter, so the box will be taller than the box for "a". My students really enjoy this.

We also practice words using two different color markers - do vowels in one color and consonants in the second color.

17. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Feb 25, 2007

Wow! Lots of great ideas! I'm working on jazzing up my LA tim.I especially like spellingtime.com for kids to do at home for study.

18. Jame

Jame Comrade

Feb 25, 2007

Has anyone ever done Tic Tac Toe by making the grid with 9 chairs? The students wear cards with either an X or an O on them. They become the game pieces and move to a designated chair when they spell their word correctly. They have to choose a chair before spelling their word, though. It is great fun and get the kids up and moving! :) We have also played "7-Up" with words-the kids love that!

Another movement game we do is called 'Chain Reaction', where two teams are formed. Each team stands in a line facing each other. At the head of the lines is the teacher who gives the words and at the end is a desk or table with a bell or buzzer or some sort. The team members join hands, and the teacher gives the word. If the first person on a team thinks they can spell the word correctly, he squeezes (gently!) the hand of the next player who in turn squeezes the next player's hand, etc. When the 'squeeze' reaches the end player, that player reaches out to ring the bell. Then, if that team's first player does spell the word correctly, the team earns a point. If the lead player spells it incorrectly, the other team gets a chance to "steal" the word for two points. In the event of a tie, both lead players write the word on a piece of paper, and each team may earn a point if spelled correctly. It, too, is a fun game that gets the kids up and moving. On word of warning, though, is that in order to ensure that no one gets hurt by the squeezing or the ringing of the bell, groundrules have to be specifically laid out and the minute it should get out of hand, so to speak, be ready to stop the game. :D

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2007

My students complete a Spelling BINGO throughout the week. In a 3X3 grid, I've written 9 different spelling activites. When the student completes an activity, s/he gives her/himself a sticker in that box and turns it in so I can see it.

Some activities on my BINGO are:
    Rainbow writing (as mentioned in a previous post)
    Put words into ABC order, higher kids can then do ABC order to 2nd letter
    Make a word search
    Write on flashcards
    4-columns- write word 1x in each column
    Circle vowels
    Circle vowels, box consonants
    Line Design, write word and trace over outside of word with 5 different colors
    Spelling Story- use words in a paragraph
    Write a letter to a friend using x# of words

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2007

Wanted to clarify that by tic tac toe I meant like what Mable is talking about.... I have heard that teachers have given students choices like that. Just don't want it to be to babyish, or meaningless for my older kids :) Thanks for the help!

21. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2007

SpellingTime doesn't go so well on dialup! I also want to advise that a window comes up when you try to put your own words in. It says it's closed for that until March 3. It's a great site otherwise.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 27, 2007

My kids love doing the word shapes, kind of the opposite of what Missy said - I give them the shape and a word list, and they have to find the word that fits each shape. They love it!

23. alanfoo

alanfoo New Member

Feb 28, 2007

try the AGE Homework tools to create

you can try to use the AGE homework tools given free to teachers to create the spelling modules...

You can get it from paperlesshomework(dot) com.
    regards
    alan