Creative Project Ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Historyct, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Historyct

Historyct Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

I am trying to think of a project to do pertaining to WWII and/or the Holocaust. I don't need actual project scripts, but resource ideas.

Because presentations completely bomb with my students (so many of them don't do it), I have, in the past, assigned digital posters (canva, glogster), report cards, resumes, etc.

Would it be weird to have them create a Google Slides or Prezi but not have them present it? Any other ideas that are creative? ***Keep in mind students have extremely limited resources in terms of paper, markers, any physical art media.

Thank you!

3. DannieJaeger

DannieJaeger Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

I do not think it is weird at all to create a Google Slides or Prezi and not have them present it - I do it fairly often. You could also have them use something like Screencastify and have them make a short video with their Google Slides. Either way, they are conveying to you the information that they learned about the subject. I find that a detailed rubric helps me assess these types of projects.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 1, 2016

I'm wondering if recording videos of WWII veterans might be an appropriate possibility.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2016

My students have just completed an assignment where most did either a Prezi or a presentation in Google Slides. They are being presented using a Gallery Walk. All of the students set up their presentations, then they move about the classroom, viewing other presentations. I gave them a graphic organizer to complete as they viewed--it kept them on-task and gave them a purpose for viewing. It's been very successful!

6. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

I think your idea of having them create the slideshows but not present is fine.
    What kind of technology resources do you have?
    If you have ipads, my favorite thing to do is use this App called Adobe Voice. I log the students in on my account (it requires a free account to use) and walk them through the creation process. It creates dynamic video slideshows using narrations provided by the students. If they don't want to speak, they can add text slides. There are some examples of videos made using the app on the site. I don't have them post them online, instead I have them save the videos to the ipads and sync them to dropbox and we watch the short videos on the promethean board.

Last year my husband, who teaches history, had students work in groups to create a digital "Front page" for a newspaper about a topic. Could this be something you could do? They were grouped and each member was in charge of an "article" on the page. You could print them and display them around the room on or a bulletin board instead of having the kids "present" the info.

Obadiah likes this.
  7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 1, 2016

Since you are lacking in physical art media, I think that is fine. I think a gallery walk would be more effective or even just a share out to their own group mates, just so that it doesn't become an audience-less task.

Obadiah likes this.
  8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 2, 2016

I especially liked Mrs. C's idea of the viewers responding through graphic organizers. I find graphic organizers to be one of the best methods for conceptualizing new information by comparing it with previously learned information. They also increase the brain connections for memorization of material.

9. Carliee

Carliee Rookie

Mar 2, 2016

"Voices of the Holocaust" from Perfection Learning has some excellent short stories, poetry, and other supplemental materials. I've used two different stories with eighth graders quite successfully. At least part of it can be found online.

10. Historyct

Historyct Rookie

Mar 4, 2016

Thank you for all of the excellent ideas!